Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Face ID is really intriguing but touch ID was so easy and convenient. I was a little shocked at how they said 1-50,000 could beat a fingerprint ID vs 1-1,000,000 with face recognition. I thought we all had unique fingerprints? Like snowflakes. :)

Exactly this, I thought 1-50.000 was actually a fairly bad number, expected TouchiD to be much better.

Reactions: JGIGS

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I remember the moaning about Touch ID at launch, so I'll take everyone's comments with a pinch of salt. Usability is key to what Apple does, they even stress this to us in service documentation that no customer ever sees.

What has me slightly concerned is Touch ID's nascent adoption on macOS. Some people went for Touch Bar MacBook Pro models specifically for the feature, and others (like me) want it on a Magic Keyboard for use on the iMac/Mac Pro. Apple sending out messages of its replacement with Face ID is going to surely lead to developers questioning whether to support it in their Mac software in anticipation of Face ID coming to Mac in due course. iOS 11 code mentioned iPads and iPods having Face ID, so it stands to reason Apple would homogenise it as an overall product feature.

The only saving grace it may have is that no current Mac could use Face ID, and replacing a flagship feature barely a year after its debut would p*ss off a lot of people and rub the wider savvy Mac community the wrong way for sure.

Reactions: maine82

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
That’s great but most people prefer will prefer Touch ID.

You know this how? Personally, I hate Touch ID. Depending on what work I'm doing my fingerprints rarely register because of either debris on my hands, or just my fingerprints bring altered. Face ID will work better for me. I know other people who feel the same way. I just want to know what methods you used to come to your arbitrary quantifier of "most"

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I disagree. That would made it a lot more difficult to reach, especially for the Plus models. Which means you have to use your thumb in most cases. One handed use to reach the power button would not be easily accessible, and Apple is about accessibility. Even trying that on my iPhone right now, is not an easy thing to do one-handed.
Touch ID on the back in the logo. Solves the reachability issue. Gives users a choice. Choice really isn't Apple's style when it comes to adding and removing features, but I'd like to think they could have done it.

Reactions: 44267547

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Yeah it works in the dark, with beard or glasses........just as Windows Hello on a Surface Device or Kinect, or any device with infrared camera used for recognition launched in the last years....Nothing new here.

Reactions: motulist

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
I think this may be another Siri, which had to be released in beta since it was their big feature to sell. Or maybe an Apple Maps-like issue.

One thing we know, is that it's delayed and they're not even certain it will ship November. If they were sure, they'd take orders now. They've run into major problems. This is why I'm so curious about touchID, wondering how late in the process they dropped it (assuming they intended it to coexist with FaceID, which may not be the case).

Telomar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2002
I didn’t expect it but the lack of support for multiple faces might be the killer for me. My wife uses my phone all the time, particularly if I am driving. I don’t really want to look away from the road to unlock my phone. It looked ok for speed but slower than gen 1 Touch ID.

Reactions: motulist

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I doubt this is a big issue, but in some of the demo videos after the show, they showed someone pointing the phone at the face of the owner and unlocking the phone. I guess a thief could steal your phone, point it at your face for a fraction of a second and take off with your unlocked phone.
Yes and a mugger could force you to unlock your phone. So what? I never heard of it happening with Touch ID and I doubt I will with Face ID either.

You guys try so hard.

Reactions: dugbug and Ntombi

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
So you mean to tell me the folks at Apple thought of all of that all on their own? Without consulting MacRumors readers?

Well now I just don't know what to believe anymore.

MR.Raul

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Sweden
When picking up my iPhone with my thumb on my home buiten, I'm there. No swipe, no looking into the camera.

Why mention looking into the camera, you'll do that with touch ID as well, why would you unlock your phone and not look at it, and it's easier to swipe on a big surface then push a small button.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I'm sure people would be excited about this, if that phone was $799.

It's like dating a hot woman, ignoring the wart on her face and the notch on her neck, but then realising, that she already has 4 Kids and no job...
- Comparing a woman to an electronics product? Check.
- Shallow expectations of female appearances? Check.

Please, why don't you tell us about all your own physical flaws, and provide an assessment of how much you're worth?

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
Face ID is really intriguing but touch ID was so easy and convenient. I was a little shocked at how they said 1-50,000 could beat a fingerprint ID vs 1-1,000,000 with face recognition. I thought we all had unique fingerprints? Like snowflakes. :)
The probability of two fingerprints being the same is one in a few dozen million. Since fingerprint sensors don't store every little detail, the final number ends up being in the tens of thousands region.

Reactions: cjgrif and JGIGS

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
I remember the moaning about Touch ID at launch, so I'll take everyone's comments with a pinch of salt. Usability is key to what Apple does, they even stress this to us in service documentation that no customer ever sees.

What has me slightly concerned is Touch ID's nascent adoption on macOS. Some people went for Touch Bar MacBook Pro models specifically for the feature, and others (like me) want it on a Magic Keyboard for use on the iMac/Mac Pro. Apple sending out messages of its replacement with Face ID is going to surely lead to developers questioning whether to support it in their Mac software in anticipation of Face ID coming to Mac in due course. iOS 11 code mentioned iPads and iPods having Face ID, so it stands to reason Apple would homogenise it as an overall product feature.

The only saving grace it may have is that no current Mac could use Face ID, and replacing a flagship feature barely a year after its debut would p*ss off a lot of people and rub the wider savvy Mac community the wrong way for sure.

Well, how else could :apple: EOL/EOS a 2016 MBP and a 2017 iMac? I'm sure they would never place a secret "brick date" via a firmware update when the HS GS is released. :mad:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Sounds like Apple was a bit more focused on the 'could' and not enough on the 'should' part of the equation.

Please give us both in the future. There are use cases where one type can excel over the other and vice versa.
Sounds like you dont get it, to me. I wasnt fast biometric auth, and if face auth is faster that's what I want.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Why mention looking into the camera, you'll do that with touch ID as well, why would you unlock your phone and not look at it, and it's easier to swipe on a big surface then push a small button.
The point is that the unlocking process starts when you have the phone out in front of you, looking at it. With Touch ID you could basically unlock the phone while taking out the phone, so you don't have to wait, not even a second, usually. How it is supposedly easier to swipe the screen than to touch a physical button is beyond me.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Ok so how do you test this out at the Apple Store demo phones. Lol won't everyone be trying this? Lol

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Touch ID on the back in the logo. Solves the reachability issue. Gives users a choice. Choice really isn't Apple's style when it comes to adding and removing features, but I'd like to think they could have done it.

I don't disagree, They could have implemented it on the back as Other manufacturers have. But Apple is about changing the course away from what the consumer finds convenient versus what Apple believes is reality. A fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone some appreciate and some have stated its cumbersome. It's hard to say how Face ID will Course Over the next year, but there certainly will be an adaptation phase.

Reactions: 69Mustang

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
I think this may be another Siri, which had to be released in beta since it was their big feature to sell. Or maybe an Apple Maps-like issue.

One thing we know, is that it's delayed and they're not even certain it will ship November. If they were sure, they'd take orders now. They've run into major problems. This is why I'm so curious about touchID, wondering how late in the process they dropped it (assuming they intended it to coexist with FaceID, which may not be the case).

WSJ claimed Apple was desperate to include Touch ID that their failure to integrate it was the main reason behind the delayed launch.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I doubt this is a big issue, but in some of the demo videos after the show, they showed someone pointing the phone at the face of the owner and unlocking the phone. I guess a thief could steal your phone, point it at your face for a fraction of a second and take off with your unlocked phone.
The phone would lock again at some point. There's no way you can add a new fingerprint to the TouchID settings, or change the passcode, without knowing the existing passcode. I would imagine this to be the same for FaceID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.