Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Those who can afford the new Apple monitor can afford a $1000 stand. The stand is not the problem here. The problem is that Apple disrespects a large percentage of its Mac customers by refusing to offer a replacement for the Cinema displays.

There was a time when making profit was the only thing managers/ceo's cared about, loss making products were kept because they were an added value to the companies, last years decisions are short term decisions made by greedy people, look at Apple, it seems that only now that sales of iPhones are flattening that they return starting to make better Macs again, and re-releasing displays and an interest in MacPro's, and then there's the 16" MBP rumours.
It's just silly, wish a few products will be reintroduced like the wireless products, cinema displays, Magsafe amongst others.

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Umm, what happen to Apple making their own screen again besides that far too expensive one with all the holes in the back with the 1k stand?

I don't see how hard it is to just take a iMac design and cut down the bottom chin and sell it with just a display.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
If this monitor now supports video signal through USB connection (not only thunderbolt), it might be suitable for connecting a videogame console, right? Connecting a PS4 Pro with an HDMI to a USB-C cable. I mean, if such cable exists...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Umm, what happen to Apple making their own screen again besides that far too expensive one with all the holes in the back with the 1k stand?

I don't see how hard it is to just take a iMac design and cut down the bottom chin and sell it with just a display.

I can tell you that the body alone will set you back a grand minimum, all those laser cutting machines are expensive.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

It's not difficult at all. I think the reason Apple is not offering is that it will cannibalize the XDR sales. When Apple announced it @wwdc many workstations had as much as three XDRs on it. If you are a Pro on specific segments, you will only need one super-duper reference display if Apple had a 5K ($1500) display selling alongside the XDR. I can easily see a lot of people buying two 5Ks and one XDR just as one example.

Reactions: Ener Ji

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Picked up a curved 32” 4K Samsung the other day for a third of the price and couldn’t be happier with it. Aesthetically beautiful and functional to pair with my mini. I’ll never understand LG’s design logic. I’d go for it if it even for $1.5k with better housing. $200 extra goes a long way with plastic...

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
If Apple released a new 5K Thunderbolt display using the iMac 5K case, it would be $1499 so this forum would riot based on the price (for $300 more I get a whole computer!) and bitch about the design (such thick bezels! Such a fat chin!).

They'd sell. If iMac still supported target display mode I'd buy some base model 27" 5Ks to use solely as external displays.

Reactions: Detnator

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Please pause while I barf.
That thing is hideous.

It's embarrassing that Apple is selling these in store. They need to make their own that doesn't look atrocious.

Tarantularock

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2016
For the love of God- If apple is not going to make a New Space Grey 5k Aluminum 27-inch thunderbolt 3 monitor with a Face ID camera (iPad Pro) , can they at least license the "design" to a company who will?

Reactions: Sabelonada

Sabelonada

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2018
For the love of God- If apple is not going to make a New Space Grey 5k Aluminum 27-inch thunderbolt 3 monitor with a Face ID camera (iPad Pro) , can they at least license the "design" to a company who will?
I like that the 4K version looks balanced but I have gotten spoiled with the sleek bezels on my current monitors from Dell.

Tarantularock

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2016
I like that the 4K version looks balanced but I have gotten spoiled with the sleek bezels on my current monitors from Dell.
yes, I have the 27 inch Dell ultrasharp currently - I was waiting for a display from Apple that looks like it will never come.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
"up to 94W of host charging power"

For the new 16 inch MacBook Pro. We have seen this with the new XDR Display too.

Therefore we can conclude that the new 16 inch MBP requires more power which also results in higher performance components.

And increase of 7W isn't going to make much difference to performance, not to mention the 16" MacBook Pro likely requires more power for the display alone.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
It's not difficult at all. I think the reason Apple is not offering is that it will cannibalize the XDR sales. When Apple announced it @wwdc many workstations had as much as three XDRs on it. If you are a Pro on specific segments, you will only need one super-duper reference display if Apple had a 5K ($1500) display selling alongside the XDR. I can easily see a lot of people buying two 5Ks and one XDR just as one example.

1) Jobs historically has said its better to let your own products cannibalize each other, than let someone else cannibalize your product. Which is generally true.
2) I can’t imagine Apple gets fatter margins selling LG monitors than if they sold their own.
3) I don’t think someone will add nearly 4+ grand to their budget per monitor simply because the XDR is Apple vs the LG. Your idea of using 5K displays as second/third monitors is probably going to be the norm, IMO. And in more cases, it’s going to be a single 5K vs Ultrawide vs XDR for many more workstations, in reality, and more people will be thinking of the 5K and UW and ignoring the XDR completely.

There really isn’t any reason for Apple to let LG reap the margins of these displays if they are going to be in the display business at all. The 5K is still unique enough that Apple users are the primary market for these beasts.

Reactions: Tarantularock

metabob

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
Finland
Picked up a curved 32” 4K Samsung the other day for a third of the price and couldn’t be happier with it. Aesthetically beautiful and functional to pair with my mini. I’ll never understand LG’s design logic. I’d go for it if it even for $1.5k with better housing. $200 extra goes a long way with plastic...
I don’t know how good the display quality is but these LG screens do not look very aesthetically pleasant. I recently bought a HP monitor and it is just so pretty, glossy and beautiful to look at, I don’t feel the same about these ones.

These are great displays. The pixels will be what you'll be looking at. Not the bezels.

If you want to show off, get the XDR display. If you just want a great display, get this one.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
The two bad things about this are:
  • no pivot
  • camera (I've got one in my iPhone, that's enough. Actually, two of them).
I assume that without the camera, it could also have thinner bezels.

Still, it's not too bad. And it's 5k.

Wouldn't totally rule out purchasing one, when I need one.

Maybe somebody can do a comparison with an Eizo 32" 4K display?
[doublepost=1564525498][/doublepost]
That's your opinion. With new bezel-less displays, there's no way to add a webcam without blocking the screen or using a desk-cluttering tripod. Plus, the only major company that makes external webcams anymore is Logitech and a half-decent one starts at $90 and is flashy chrome plastic in a design left over from a 2000 Ford Taurus.

You don't realize the situation until you have to get one for client videoconferencing.

I'll use my phone for that, then.
Or get a MBP, they come with a camera after all.

The only computer Apple sells without a camera is the Mini (and the Pro, but it's a different animal anyway).
Also, if you buy two, what do you do with the 2nd camera?

It's ridiculous IMO.

Bring back the external iSight Camera ;-)

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
They really need to match the bottom bezel to the top.. this design has always been awful. Just make the bottom thicker if you have to.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Just think, the 23" Cinema Display for my G5 cost $1699. What a bargain. (And it still works)

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
I'll use my phone for that, then.
Or get a MBP, they come with a camera after all.

Highly unprofessional. You can't hold your phone for an hour long meeting. And if you use your laptop, it catches your face off to the side and without eye contact it looks like you're not paying attention.

Reactions: Ener Ji

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Is Apple incapable of making a nice looking, decent quality display for $1500-$2000? I don’t get it. Almost no one is going to buy those $6,000 displays (with stand), it’s simply a non-starter for the vast majority of people, including non-institutional Mac Pro buyers.

Perhaps they don't want to, they might as well just let LG do it.

Putzytart

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2014
I’d love to know what the available resolutions are running of a MacBook Pro 13. I find running 5k is way too small, and 1/2 x is too large. But some of these 5k screens don’t offer anything in between

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.