Apple's Plans to Release 5G iPhone in 2020 Could Be Stymied by Intel Delays

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Rammstein2001 macrumors newbie

Rammstein2001

i have ATT and live in Austin. I get 5G on my iPhone XS max. Just noticed the change.

2. cmaier Suspended

“5Ge” ? That is not 5G. It’s actually slower than other carriers’ 4G.

3. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

They really aren’t, not in the US anyway.

5G is a fixed wireless play anyway. Cell carriers want to compete with cable and landline phone carriers for home internet service. I can’t imagine how little benefit mobile users will get from it.

4. elvisimprsntr, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019

elvisimprsntr macrumors 6502

5. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

6. Apples Apples Everywhere macrumors newbie

Apples Apples Everywhere

To me it seems evident that Qualcomm is abusive with all of its partners. It’s as if Qualcomm chips wear wife beater T shirts.

Qualcomm seeks to actively hurt Apple over Apple seeking supplier diversity.

7. cmaier Suspended

Ah, electricsense, where all the scientists go to discus... hey, wait a minute.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2019 ---
    No

8. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I mean that’s true, but 5G would improve reception in areas that are slow on LTE today.

9. ani4ani macrumors 6502a

Agree totally, those iPhone buyers in 2020 who don’t “need” 5G, but like to keep their phones for many years (...because Apple support them for 5 years...unlike others) may not have access to 5G perhaps until 6G is being thought about

10. cmaier Suspended

Would it? 5G will have much worse penetration into buildings. It will require many more cells, much closer together, than LTE. So unless you live someplace with bad LTE coverage where they decide to build a lot of 5G cells, not sure why it would help.

11. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Odd or just tired of weirdly-obsessed Apple “haters” threatening to do what we wish they would—but then not following through.

When you post a trolling comment offering to leave, don’t be surprised when someone tells you not to let the door hit you in the *** on your way out.

12. ani4ani, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019

ani4ani macrumors 6502a

5G to 4G is a much a much more important upgrade than 4G to 3G ever was. Back then, there was barely any smartphone or data use (social media was still small beer and virtually no streaming) and so for the vast majority it was barely noticeable. Today, we have a totally connected, always online world and 5G will be key. You might not “need” 5G on a phone, but I for one would “like” a 5G tethering hotspot on my phone as 99% of my data consumption is by this means and when you live out in the sticks and don’t have access to high-speed fibre, 5G is going to be very important.

Ever been in a football stadium at half time and had basically no service because 10’s of thousands are trying to look at the same sport website at the same time, well that will no longer be an issue (...unless of course your stuck on LTE)

13. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

More cell sites where they’re currently oversubscribed and more bandwidth for backhaul (and for the transport network including peering) would be a much better solution to slow LTE

14. Strokee macrumors member

I’m not an Apple hater. I own Apple products. I’m using an iPhone now...typing on it as we speak. I want Apple to do well. I want them to innovate and compete and lead. They’re not doing that and haven’t for a while. They’ve become lazy and entitled and rely on people like you to defend them to no end and lap up their products and marketing like a starving kitten with expired milk.

15. cmaier Suspended

You likely won’t have 5G out in the sticks. Due to the high frequency, it won’t penetrate structures and is easily attenuated. As a result the density of cells will have to be much higher than 4G. You won’t see providers investing in infrastructure except where there are dense populations.

16. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

That all may be true, but I’m thinking a weak 5G signal would still be faster than a weak 4G signal. Let’s see how it fares in real world use.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple could always buy 5G chips from Huawei... I'm not sure what Farmer Trump will think though.

18. Strokee macrumors member

5G is offered on different frequencies. Yes, MMwave 5G doesn’t travel far, doesn’t penetrate well, but Sub 6 GHz travels much further, penetrates much more effectively and will be the backbone of a lot of 5G networks.

19. lazard macrumors 68000

Intel missing deadlines? *Pretends to be shocked*

20. PickUrPoison, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019

PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Oh yes, you’re just “concerned” and are giving Apple tough love :rolleyes:

When you post evidence-free crap like “Apple is simply too lazy, too entitled and too disingenuous to keep me around” expect to be called on it.

Apple’s far from perfect; post your arguments supporting those three contentions and I may agree with some or all.

Looking forward to an actual discussion rather than just a hate-post pronouncement.

21. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

15% represents the largest share of 5G patents held by any one company. When the 5G standard will be used by every single smartphone and IoT device in the world, that's huge.

Intel and Samsung are out there to sell their modems and win sockets. That's why you hear Intel and Samsung talk about their progress publicly. Apple has no plans to sell their modems.

22. ani4ani macrumors 6502a

Simply will not be the case, technically you’re correct, however 5G infrastructure is much easier to implement than land-based solutions for high speed connections. In the UK and much of Europe it is becoming a legal obligation for telecoms providers to guarantee high speed universal availability to all, regardless of location to the point where it will a legal requirement to offer you comms infrastructure to your competitors to ensure that equity of service and performance.

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

It's a downgrade. It's probably borderline illegal, too.

And I'm not all that worried about the availability of a 5G chip as there is almost no 5G in the country and won't be for a long, long time.

24. cmaier Suspended

Yes, but the legal “guarantee” can be met with LTE - it does not require 5G.

25. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

Huawei doesn't sell their chips. They use the same strategy as Apple. They build their own SoC, modem, power management chips and use that as an advantage.