Apple's Rumored 18W USB-C iPhone Power Adapter Prototype Shown Off in New Photos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 2, 2018.

1. PlainviewUVGF macrumors 6502a

PlainviewUVGF

Great, now we'll need another round of adapters.

2. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

With solar panels, wind power, geothermal, etc, why are we wasting energy through converting it from DC to AC in the western continent. If we had DC appliances available here at the same or reduced cost, people with solar panels, etc can just charge their devices directly from a storage battery or source.

AC power made sense back in the day due to running powerlines over an extended distance, with people disconnecting from the power grid, we are just sticking to prior standards with inefficiencies.

3. PlainviewUVGF macrumors 6502a

PlainviewUVGF

I have a charger in bedroom, living room, office, at work, and in my car (USB). Going C will mean I need to change all of those chargers or get adapters for all of them.

4. manu chao macrumors 603

Apple currently sells a Lightning to (female) USB-A adaptor to connect USB peripherals (card readers, Ethernet adaptors, audio/MIDI interfaces) to iOS devices. If Apple were to switch to USB-C on the phone, it would allow us to connect those things without an extra adaptor (assuming we all got USB-C versions of those things).

Not that I think Apple will do so, but Apple is already making use of USB features (card reader, Ethernet, MIDI), though not specifically of USB-C features.

5. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

I know many people who have not expressed the issue you have described about USB-C not holding securely, if that were the case Apple and other manufacturers would not have it deliver power to laptops, phones, etc. I suspect you may have a defective plug/port. I am sure the "fatter" port will eventually have a mini/micro version available, honestly the iPhone could stand to be a little thicker to increase battery life and have a flush camera housing vice a bump.

I am sure you can connect a USB-C donge/hub and have HDMI/USB-A/SD card/power/etc, in one product vice having multiple dongles connect via lightening, I suspect this is the lightening connectors limitation to only allows power and some other aux function. I have a lightening wired headphones that delivers audio and power at the same time. I don't believe it could handle more than two functions at the same time. This is where USB-C would be beneficial with the added data transmission rate.

6. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

I also like the holding securely part. That was good engineering.
    However, the major technical benefit would be that it could be charged with the industry standard connector. Could even use a Macbook charger for the phone.
    From another persepctive, as you said yourself, Apple will most likely go full wireless soon, turning lighting cables into rarely used things.
    And then, for the very few occasions you need to physically connect your phone you have to dig out a lighting cable, which by then might not be bundled with the phone anymore.
    That's as stupid as sticking with RS-232 on consumer devices in 2018.

Way more stupid is that the latest iPad and Macbook still use USB 2.0 speeds, despite both sides being capable of USB 3 speeds. Ironically, the cable isn't. Let's talk about innovation again...

7. EdT macrumors 68000

EdT

Because DC still can’t travel distances efficiently, and some people will be slow to buy new appliances and some states have a low population spread out over thousands of square miles so AC is probably going to be the primary voltage type. And that’s not taking into consideration all of the AC motors used by both business and homes. Things like washer and dryer motors or exhaust fans or window air conditioners. My state does not encourage and in fact actively discourages self generation of electricity.

8. curtvaughan macrumors 65816

curtvaughan

Well, you wouldn't need something like this to charge your phone off your MB or MBP:

https://www.imore.com/best-usb-c-hubs-macbook-pro

9. Shin-Ra macrumors newbie

Hopefully the third pin on the British plug forces another shallower design than the US equivalent. USB port underneath means the USB cable plug doesn’t stick out in an awkward direction too. USB-C would make it easy to blind-find the hidden port, too.
    [​IMG]

10. profets macrumors 601

This is just for the charging block + USB end of the cable. If you already have lightning cables for charging in multiple places you could continue using those no?

11. Drogba11 macrumors member

12. cmaier macrumors G5

In NY city there are many buildings that have dc power. It doesn’t work so well. Even over the course of a block there is a lot of power loss.

13. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Why is your state discouraging self generation of electricity? So people cannot be independant or the local power generation plant is trying to profit from aging infrastructure. There is also fossil fuel based power generators for homes in the event of an emergency situation. Europe and other Nations already have DC powered appliances, so there is no additional cost to produce them, it would be cheaper. It is a question of availibility in an AC market. I have already mentioned why AC was used for decades, this mindset does not hold true with people/governments moving to solar/wind/etc. It's politics my friend, too many lobbyists who are lining they pockets for personal gain vice the greater good, this is the problem with humanity and the odd twist that a capitalistic system has taken.

14. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Anyone else think that with such a large front face with so much unused room, they should have put a USB-A port there as well?

That would be awesome; you could charge any device with any cable, USB-A or C, with one charger.

Seems like a missed opportunity.

15. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Europe has been on DC for decades, unless I am missing something.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2018 ---
    Opportunity for a dongle no doubt.

16. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

DC power distribution was shut off in NYC over a decade ago. Any buildings that still have DC are converting it themselves, usually for antique elevators.

17. marty11 macrumors 6502

Nice to have, but wireless is such a better way to charge these devices. I see this a niche patch until rapid wireless charging is more common because plugging a phone into a wall is going away soon.

18. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Why is wireless better? It's less efficient and harder to use portably.

Other than having a charging pad next to your bed, wired is better in nearly all cases.

19. profets macrumors 601

That’s a pretty cool idea.

Possible guesses why they didn’t:

-they ran out of space for all the electronics needed inside
    -minimizing cost
    -assuming many people have USB-A charging blocks if needed
    -Moving forward with USB-C

20. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

I wonder why it was shut down, interesting decision.

21. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

HVDC is what you're looking for. Used mostly underwater (as AC would have to deal with a high capacity of the surrounding water). Everywhere else AC has the benefit that it can be way more easily transformed. In households it provides more safety than DC.
    From an EMC point of view AC is rather bad though... a coax DC power line would be perfect and also provide a high level of safety.

However, when it comes to the US, the problems with power distribution is the low voltage. ~115V means double the amps, which comes at the cost of more losses in transit. Ironically, also the efficiency of AC/DC adapters is higher at 230V->DC than 115V->DC.

22. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

I concure, a charging coaster/stand is an additional device to worry about and cost, nice to have near your bed stand, not so good while travelling. Considering a phone is mobile, having both options available is best. True short range wireless power is still some years off and is a waste of power efficiency.

23. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

As someone with the USB C MacBook Pro... Would be nice to have all my devices using the same cables. Having to spend $25 on a USB C to Lighting cable was annoying... I already went and got 3 Anker 30w USB C chargers so, could care less about the charger, would be cool to charge phones with those. Wonder when the multi-USB C chargers will come out.

Have to agree with the posters here. Having used USB C for awhile now, I'm not a huge fan of it. Doesn't hold securely, doesn't feel like a strong grip when plugging in, and I've had some 3rd party cables refuse connection even when plugged in. Only nice thing is, I don't plug it in the wrong way 99% of the time like I do with old USB. :p

24. WBRacing macrumors 65816

Bit shallower and shiny, but looks similar to the Pixel 1 charger I have with the two tone colouring.

PSX_20180702_160358.jpg PSX_20180702_160310.jpg PSX_20180702_160341.jpg

25. fokmik macrumors 68040

“Doesn't hold securely, doesn't feel like a strong grip”
    Strange,even when you plug the orginal charger?