Apple's Rumored 18W USB-C iPhone Power Adapter Prototype Shown Off in New Photos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 2, 2018.

1. ph001bi macrumors regular

and this video must include the word "aluminium" pronounced the British way.

2. Danoc, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  3. manu chao macrumors 603

If the only thing you want is to charge your iPhone off your MB(P), a simple USB-C to Lightning cable would be much cheaper than a TB3 dock.

4. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Wow, Apple using industry standards? Did the corporate rats have an epiphany?

5. manu chao macrumors 603

My guess would be that that is the main motivation.

6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68030

FelixDerKater

Not bad. Why not use the iPad charging block style with the folding plug?

7. d5aqoëp macrumors 65816

d5aqoëp

8. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

How long before someone starts complaining that they can’t use the cable with one of their older laptops?

9. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

10. profets macrumors 601

Yeah, it’s pretty incredible. Finally they’ll move away from that non-industry standard USB-A for charging and move onto USB-C charging instead.

11. minik macrumors 65816

Let's hope Apple keeps the Lightning connector on iOS devices, I'm fine with USB-C on the other end for plugging into computers.

12. konqerror, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018

konqerror macrumors 6502a

Found your problem. You're not American. Standard North American/Japanese NEMA sockets are stacked vertically, therefore the ideal shape is wide, to avoid blocking the next outlet. This is particularly important in Japan, since a large number of their outlets are ungrounded and have very small spacing.

British/European sockets are horizontal, so the ideal shape is tall. British plugs are usually designed to make a right angle to the wall, to fit a long fuse in the plug. Right angle plugs are not standard in the NEMA design, so users are used to cords perpendicular to the wall, which again, prevents blockage of adjacent outlets. A right angle adapter will easily block 4 outlets on a power strip.

As this shows, vendors who ship the same adapter shape worldwide with interchangeable plugs create a poor UX.

13. bartszyszka macrumors member

bartszyszka

That looks like the charger from the Google Pixel 2:
    Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 11.44.15 AM.png

14. Ferc Kast macrumors 6502

Ferc Kast

They've had one since the iPad Pro. It's just been sold separately. The charger depicted, however, is new.

15. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

If Apple is finally including a fast charger with the larger iPhones, it will eliminate the need to buy one separately. They should've started including fast chargers years ago like everyone else that sells a smartphone capable of fast charging.

16. SoundJudgment macrumors regular

SoundJudgment

Hey! A 5 cent savings is a 5 cent savings!

17. BigMcGuire Contributor

Am I the only one that has a house littered with chargers? I got a ton of Anker chargers for work and for most of the rooms in my house a long time ago so that now when we get new Apple Products we end up giving away our chargers. Last thing I need is ANOTHER charger. :p

18. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

You don't think a charger should be included?

I couldn't care less---I have USB-C bricks and plenty of chargers lying around, but that would drive people, especially the media, insane. Just imagining the click bait now...
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2018 ---
    I unwrapped an iPhone X and the charging "brick" and lighting cable sat in the box for a week unused.

I really have no need for them, but then again, people on this forum are not the norm---most people would go bat **** if a charger was not included.

19. Zoboomafoo macrumors 6502

I think you meant, SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

20. manu chao macrumors 603

When I get a new iPhone, the old iPhone including its charger gets sold. Keeps the numbers of chargers constant.

21. konqerror macrumors 6502a

No, there's significant engineering concerns. USB-C allows multiple voltages, like Qualcomm Fast Charge, which is the point of using it to speed charging. If you put two ports on on the same power supply, somebody is going to plug two devices in, and either blow up the lower voltage one or defeat the whole purpose and slow down the fast one. Then you'll need complex negotiation logic, increased power to accommodate charging two devices, or basically add in a independent 5 V USB-A adapter into the same box.

Hardly 5 cents.

22. manu chao macrumors 603

Not that people would like it, but one could add a mechanical slider that only ever let's one USB port to be accessible.

23. profets macrumors 601

I do the same. I usually have some multi-port anker chargers around the house. Next to the bed with cables for phone + watch to charge. 6 port on the main floor with a bank of ports for us to plug in any devices as needed.

For many years I’ve never taken out the bundled charging block + cable. Usually keep them in the box, and then when selling the phone after a year it’s all included and still looks brand new.

24. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Good really should have included it previously