Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Pretty smart by Google to make this deal year in and year out. I know it’s just the default search engine in the default browser. But I know so many people that use internet explorer all the time and search with Bing (and have an Ask Jeeves toolbar!)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
....Yeah? Check how many cookies Google Analytics downloads into Safari and then tell us otherwise. If Google had no incentive to grab your data, why in the hell would they pay billions for nothing?
So should Apple block google? Or maybe user should use private mode. Or let apple break net protocols. Either way it will happen, with or without the payment. Apple might as well collect the money. They are not giving out any data a user wouldn’t give up anyway.

Tell us otherwise if google analytics will function without the payment?

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
No, yours is. Google does absolutely nothing to protect users’ privacy. Apple knows it, and Cook discusses it often. Yet, they’ll take Google’s. Heck like a good little hypocrite. I’m surprised Facebook hasn’t paid Apple to get their app on iOS as a default if the money is that important.
[doublepost=1560208547][/doublepost]

Yeah? Check how many cookies Google Analytics downloads into Safari and then tell us otherwise. If Google had no incentive to grab your data, why in the hell would they pay billions for nothing?
You have a choice to use google, first of all. Google gets anonymous data, which doesn’t jeopardize privacy. Plus, it’s still business. Google search is still a great service. People want it and not having it wouldn’t be the answer.

I think Apple can preach privacy and have Google as the default search engine on iPhones, primarily because of how the data is managed but also because people want the service. It would be similar to saying Apple should ban Facebook from the App Store. Perhaps the most “private” decision, but Apple ultimately give users choices and does what they can to manage privacy.

In case you don’t know, tons of Google apps are on the App Store also including mail and Maps.

Ultimately, it’s a balance of privacy and not just being so restrictive people don’t want to use such a limited device.

Apple also doesn’t speak to what other companies do as much as they preach APPLE doesn’t know anything about what you’re doing. If you use Google Maps and they track you, that’s up to the user and Google. Apple can give you the choice and power to KNOW that, but just banning anything that might track you isn’t sensible in the real world of good business.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Pretty smart by Google to make this deal year in and year out. I know it’s just the default search engine in the default browser. But I know so many people that use internet explorer all the time and search with Bing (and have an Ask Jeeves toolbar!)

The reality is that google simply doesn’t have a choice in this matter. Apple has aggregated the best customers, and at the same time, is steadily migrating those customers off google services.

What will likely happen is that google will find itself having to pay ever more money to access a declining pool of users, and pay google will.

I cannot think of a retribution more poetic.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
The reality is that google simply doesn’t have a choice in this matter. Apple has aggregated the best customers, and at the same time, is steadily migrating those customers off google services.

What will likely happen is that google will find itself having to pay ever more money to access a declining pool of users, and pay google will.

I cannot think of a retribution more poetic.
Key point about Apple having the best customers. They are. It’s like American Express customers bring more valuable than an average Visa customer.

Reactions: Detnator

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
So should Apple block google? Or maybe user should use private mode. Or let apple break net protocols. Either way it will happen, with or without the payment. Apple might as well collect the money. They are not giving out any data a user wouldn’t give up anyway.

Tell us otherwise if google analytics will function without the payment?

I’m not references users who are quite frankly dumb enough in 2019 to still use any of Google’s products, but I’m instead saying I find it outrageously hypocritical of Apple to lie I’m bed with Google and then public ally bemoan their privacy practices. Apple is a private business and I would be disappointed (and have been in the past) if they consider blocking services or apps over policy or politics, but Imabhor their decision to take Google’s money knowing how awful that company is.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I’m not references users who are quite frankly dumb enough in 2019 to still use any of Google’s products, but I’m instead saying I find it outrageously hypocritical of Apple to lie I’m bed with Google and then public ally bemoan their privacy practices. Apple is a private business and I would be disappointed (and have been in the past) if they consider blocking services or apps over policy or politics, but Imabhor their decision to take Google’s money knowing how awful that company is.
Think that’s called coopetition. Look at the lawsuits between Samsung and Apple. Samsung still took apple’s billions.

So to me Apple is not hypocritical. It’s goid business for what users would do anyway. Ymmv.

Reactions: dk001

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
Apple also doesn’t speak to what other companies do as much as they preach APPLE doesn’t know anything about what you’re doing.

That’s so untrue—they have done both. And when they are not outright highlighting which companies care little about privacy, yes, they do announce why Apple’s privacy features are better—namely, for the most part, it’s a direct shot at Android.
[doublepost=1560212658][/doublepost]
Think that’s called coopetition. Look at the lawsuits between Samsung and Apple. Samsung still took apple’s billions.

So to me Apple is not hypocritical. It’s goid business for what users would do anyway. Ymmv.

To each their own opinion, but I’m not an Apple apologist on this one.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Yeah? Check how many cookies Google Analytics downloads into Safari and then tell us otherwise. If Google had no incentive to grab your data, why in the hell would they pay billions for nothing?
Logical fallacy. Claim Google would never pay so much money without getting data so you can then claim Apple is giving them your data.

A lot of cookies are set even if you never visit a Google site or use Google as the default search engine. Have you looked at all the cookies stored and separated what’s been set from a search request (with Google as the default engine) vs what’s been set by a regular site that has Google Analytics? If not, then your comment/implication has no merit.

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
Logical fallacy. Claim Google would never pay so much money without getting data so you can then claim Apple is giving them your data.

A lot of cookies are set even if you never visit a Google site or use Google as the default search engine. Have you looked at all the cookies stored and separated what’s been set from a search request (with Google as the default engine) vs what’s been set by a regular site that has Google Analytics? If not, then your comment/implication has no merit.

Well, the answer is yes, otherwise I wouldn’t have written the comment so merit must dutifully be restored. And I never implied Apple is giving Google any data—Google takes it regardless. And common sense tells anyone that Google isn’t spending billions on this deal just for the sake of prestige or for a gold star.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple would be silly not to take Google’s money here.

Most people are still going to favour google search anyways, and if you don’t like it, you can always change your search engine in settings.

Which is what I have done, and I love the irony. This $9 billion sum was likely calculated based on a number of factors, including how many users there are in the apple ecosystem, of which I am one. So I am a factor behind Google paying Apple as much as they have (however little or inconsequential), and then I switch to DDG anyways.

I think what’s even more fascinating is how the narrative has shifted. It wasn’t so long ago that Apple was supposed to be losing on numerous fronts. Today, the common refrain is that Apple has too much power (which I think is hogwash, but that’s another discussion for another day).

You would think that Google has enough pull to force Apple to make search default in safari or risk Google pulling support for their services (like what happened with google maps). Instead, we see Apple having leverage to the extent that they are able to wrangle $9 billion from Google a year, and I expect this sum to increase further in the future.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Well, the answer is yes, otherwise I wouldn’t have written the comment so merit must dutifully be restored. And I never implied Apple is giving Google any data—Google takes it regardless. And common sense tells anyone that Google isn’t spending billions on this deal just for the sake of prestige or for a gold star.

Ridiculous. Google has no “back door” into iOS devices and no ability to “take it regardless”. They only get what Apple allows them to have.

Your second sentence is still a logical fallacy with no basis in fact. Unless you want to share some source for your claim.

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
Ridiculous. Google has no “back door” into iOS devices and no ability to “take it regardless”. They only get what Apple allows them to have.

Your second sentence is still a logical fallacy with no basis in fact. Unless you want to share some source for your claim.

What, you want me to repeat myself? How about you explain what Google’s incentive is to finance a multi-billion check—with Alphabet’s investors on board, mind you—to have Apple prioritize them as a defaul search engine?

Instead of a ”I just know better” rebuttal, why not contribute substance to my argument? No sensible business would just pretend to be a charity and walk away as you are implying.

(Of course, this is Silicon Valley. “For a better world,” as they say.)

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
$1 billion: the price for Apple to abandon its stated goal of promoting user privacy.

EDIT: changed “protecting” to “promoting”
LOL what’s the alternative? DuckDuckGo ALWAYS fails to show the right result for me. It’s staggering how big the difference is between Bing/DuckDuckGo and Google.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
Here's what I think Apple's pro-con list for setting google as the default is:
Pros:
  • Reliable search engine
  • Apple gets paid
  • Users don't get confused or frustrated, since Google usually tells them what they want
Cons:
  • User privacy, if they are logged in and if they don't clear their cache or cookies.

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
It’s insane how complicated the daily business of big companies is. It’s so easy seeing it from the out side and making comments about lack of this and that...
And Tim Cook’s work schedule is probably not any more unique than other top CEOs - these people are insanely effective and driven. Not many people can manage what they are doing!

Reactions: Edsel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.