Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's TV Remote App Pulled From App Store Since Functionality is Available in Control Center

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently pulled the "Apple TV Remote" app from the App Store, which was designed to let users control their Apple TVs from their iPhones or iPads with a touch-based remote interface.

It's not quite clear when Apple nixed the app, but it was quietly removed and clicking on the prior link for the app confirms that it is no longer available. 9to5Mac discovered that Apple has also removed references to the Apple TV Remote app, suggesting that it has been discontinued. The Apple Remote support article, for example, references only the Apple TV Remote in Control Center.

The Apple TV Remote app has received few updates in recent years and as of iOS 12, there's been Remote app functionality baked into the Control Center, which can be accessed more quickly than with the dedicated Remote app. The Remote app was likely deemed unnecessary with the more simple Control Center option available.

Article Link: Apple's TV Remote App Pulled From App Store Since Functionality is Available in Control Center

Darth-Kylie

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
Control Centre’s remote lacks the game pad functionality, doesn’t it?

also a bit of a shame in that I tend to have the Remote app and the one for my TV open in Slide Over, making them easy and consistent to reach.

Attachments

• ADF914CA-22B6-4742-A861-5F94645B531C.jpeg
    ADF914CA-22B6-4742-A861-5F94645B531C.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 87
Comment

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
I’ve only ever used the control center remote and always found it to work really well. I can’t remember the last time I used the app version or even the physical Siri remote for that matter, which I think is in a drawer in the tv cabinet somewhere and has been since I set up the Apple TV to the point that it was paired with my phone.

Comment

MacGralich

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2016
One other thing, since we’re talking about the TV remote. Something that neither the app nor the control center remote have, with respect with the physical Siri remote, is the ability to control the AirPods or other connected device volume. That is why I still use a lot the physical remote. Does anyone know if I’m missing something and there’s a way to control them AirPods or AirPlay volume with the app/control center?

Yes, I know I can reach the AirPods / AirPlay volume control via the Apple TV control center->AirPlay devices->Press+Hold on the device, but it's a three-step access. I'm talking about a direct access like the Siri remote volume buttons.

Thx a lot

MG

Last edited:
Comment

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
LOL this is the most redundant app that Apple ever created. Since its launch I’ve always thought the same thing.

I can access Apple TV remote from my control center, why would Apple make another app that works the same?🤪

Apple should improve the Control Center remote instead of creating another app to fill my homescreen (or App library)

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I like the app better. Also when I decide to hide the remotes from my kids, I don’t have the control center one active so they can’t access the remote without unlocking my phone which the don’t know how to do.

Comment

Mind The Mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009
One other thing, since we’re talking about the TV remote. Something that neither the app nor the control center remote have, with respect with the physical Siri remote, is the ability to control the AirPods or other connected device volume. That is why I still use a lot the physical remote. Does anyone know if I’m missing something and there’s a way to control them AirPods or AirPlay volume with the app/control center?

Yes, I know I can reach the AirPods / AirPlay volume control via the Apple TV control center->AirPlay devices->Press+Hold on the device, but it's a three-step access. I'm talking about a direct access like the Siri remote volume buttons.

Thx a lot

MG

I recall that when using the app or control center widget you can control the ATV volume using the volume buttons on your phone. This certainly works if the sound is output over HDMI and I seem to remember it also works with AirPods - you get the small volume banner on the ATV screen.

Currently I cannot prove my comment as my gear is packed for moving!

Edit: Typo

Comment

MacGralich

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2016
I recall that when using the app or control center widget you can control the ATV volume using the volume buttons on your phone. This certainly works if the sound is output over HDMI and I seem to remember it also works with AirPods - you get the small volume banner on the ATV screen.

Wow! Why the heck didn't I think to give it a try myself? o_O
It just works!!! :D

Thanks a lot
MG

Comment

J___o___h___n

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2017
I never used the separate app all that much since the Control Centre version was made - but do miss the =/- 10 second buttons.

I really dislike the physical remote and do opt to use by phone more and more. I would like easier volume controls from the phone remote. Having to access AirPlay control just to adjust volume seems clunky.

I tend to use my Samsung TV remote to control Apple TV - pressing actual buttons is so much better than the touch surface.

Comment

Soylent Yellow

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
But that only works on the AppleTV 4 and 5, right? For the earlier Apple TV models we would still need the app, yeah?
Indeed. This means I can ditch my perfectly functional ATV2 when I have to restore my iPhone for one reason or another (like a botched iOS upgrade). If that happens I'm definitely not going to upgrade it to another ATV.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.