Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's TV Remote App Pulled From App Store Since Functionality is Available in Control Center

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
Indeed. This means I can ditch my perfectly functional ATV2 when I have to restore my iPhone for one reason or another (like a botched iOS upgrade). If that happens I'm definitely not going to upgrade it to another ATV.
So you are frustrated that a 10-year old device is not fully supported? I guess you are super happy with the 720p output (must be a really old tv, as well). Each to their own, I'm loving 4k - its awesome

"
2nd generation[edit]
The 2nd generation Apple TV was announced on September 1, 2010, and was the first to run on a variant of iOS.[39][40][41] The device is housed in a smaller, all-black case, one-quarter the size of the original. This model replaced the internal hard drive with 8 GB internal flash storage, enough local storage for buffering purposes; all media became streamed, instead of synced. It supports output up to 720p over HDMI only.[42][43]

In May 2015, the YouTube app was removed due to an API change by Google.[44]". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV

No Youtube? Hey I'm with you there, I never watch it

Reactions: Websnapx2
Comment

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
Seems the new apple. Step-down is their new 'innovation'
or the poster should actually check before posting;

1603283017926.png

I just took this screen print from my phone on the appletv running Netflix (its possible its not on Prime, Amazon UIs suck)

• Love
Reactions: Websnapx2
Comment

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
Not mentioned in the article, but it should be, is the fact the the remote can be accessed from the now playing screen. Swipe down, boom, there it is, tap, you have the remote. Of course you can also leave the remote in the foreground, then just pick up your phone.

Comment

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
The Control Center version lacks 10-second skip buttons, as well as what others have mentioned. It's definitely a step down using the Control Center version, and I've never really liked it.
No, it doesn't — it depends on what you are playing. I never use the remote app and I still get the 10-second skip buttons. Moreover, when you use the control center remote, the content is now on your iPhones lock screen as "Now Playing" and gives you all the same controls as if it was playing on your phone — including the 10-second skip buttons.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Comment

Yammabot

macrumors member
May 15, 2017
Northern NJ
I only use the app when I loose the remote because of it’s limited functionality. So if it now has even less functionality I’ll have to get a tether for the remote so I don’t loose it. I already have a bright orange cover for it! :)

Reactions: orbital~debris
Comment

sjwr

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
United States
My guess is the removal is temporary. Maybe some issue they're working on relating to Homepod Mini or a new Apple TV?

Comment

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
I'm assuming you didn't pull it for users stuck on iOS 12. :rolleyes:
Checked App Store on my iPhone 6 and I couldn't find it. Also it's harder to find Apple apps now.

Last edited:
Comment

Syk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I'm surprised they pulled the app.
Figure the way Apple is going they would remove the actually physical remote in the next release and tell people to use the app on their phone😂

Comment

Yebubbleman

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It's still in my "Purchased Apps" section. So, basically new users can't get it and it won't be optimized for new OSes or screens resolutions (such as the ones for the four new iPhones and one new iPad Air that just came out). Meh.

Reactions: rmariboe
Comment

wood1208

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
Not a good move. Instead of enhancing it, apple removed TV remote App. Atleast keeping as is would be ok too.

Reactions: rmariboe
Comment

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
Oh no!! Only the Apple TV Remote works, the one in the Control Center is deeply flawed and often not responsive at all, useless! :eek::mad:

Comment

nylonsteel

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2010
my remote is a backlit logitech wireless keyboard with track pad
hat those little candy bar remotes i sti;l have a few to purge
cell remotes are ok but dont want my phone too near to ruin my binge experience

Comment

BuddyRich

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Apple has two remote apps. The original Remote app (Blue icon with play symbol), which was renamed itunes Remote at one point in time, and concerned controlling home sharing and itunes, and Remote which was an icon of the Apple remote and simulated the Apple remote control for ATV.

Can't say I used the TV remote one all that much but I used to use the itunes one quite often. Even with Apple Music items in my library. I still find it better for music control of my library, but it lacks the searching and discovery of items on Apple Music not in your library, which is unfortunate. Both are still in my history, I wonder if both or just the TV one was removed?

Comment

Ansath

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2018
England
You can’t see details about what’s playing including the media timeline in Control Center. Hopefully they’ll add that.
With the Control Center Widget can you access the currently playing DETAILS/INFO as you could with the App?
they need to put volume control on the app, or maybe i just can't find it 😑

Control Centre can show you the media playing, control volume, etc and if you're not playing anything it gives you suggestions to play things, such as Podcasts & Music (that's heavily suggested as I am working from home, so used it to play music & podcasts a lot recently).

Attachments

• IMG_3056.PNG
    IMG_3056.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Comment

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
So you are frustrated that a 10-year old device is not fully supported? I guess you are super happy with the 720p output (must be a really old tv, as well). Each to their own, I'm loving 4k - its awesome

It has more to do with losing existing functionality if his phone ever requires restoring. It's not even about support, since the app doesn't have to be updated -- just kept available to those who already have it.

It's more a fault of how iOS no longer allows for apps to be locally managed and restored. Before, backing up locally would also back up the apps. Restoring the phone from a local backup would also restore all of the apps, including those that were no longer available on the app store. If it was on your phone before, it would be there afterwards.

I have a few games on my phone that are no longer available on the app store. If I ever have to restore my phone because of a botched iOS upgrade (which has happened before, and happened with iOS 14.1 as well with the "Error 4000" during installation [got around that by disabling the passcode]), I would not be able to recover them.

Apple has two remote apps. The original Remote app (Blue icon with play symbol), which was renamed itunes Remote at one point in time, and concerned controlling home sharing and itunes, and Remote which was an icon of the Apple remote and simulated the Apple remote control for ATV.

Can't say I used the TV remote one all that much but I used to use the itunes one quite often. Even with Apple Music items in my library. I still find it better for music control of my library, but it lacks the searching and discovery of items on Apple Music not in your library, which is unfortunate. Both are still in my history, I wonder if both or just the TV one was removed?

I've tried both apps before, and they ended up buried in a folder somewhere. For the ATV app, I still ended up going back to my universal remote. I'm too used to using one remote to control all of the devices on my home theater. Once I got used to one-click activity buttons on Harmony's remotes to switch between devices, I couldn't go back to fumbling between remotes, and switching between apps on a phone.

It never really occurred to me that the ATV Remote app was separate from the Control Center function. But, in the end, aside from occasionally using my phone to type in a search query (when using the ATV with the universal remote, an alert will pop up on my phone whenever a search screen comes up, asking if I want to use the phone keyboard instead), I hardly ever use the ATV Siri remote or either of the remote apps.

For all of Apple's success with designing great user interfaces with the iPod and then the iPhone, they still haven't cracked the code on how to design a great remote control (our old iMac has that magnetically mounted remote for Front Row, which we tried but rarely used).

Last edited:
Comment

w5jck

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2013
That’s nice, but the control center one has NEVER worked, unless I use the app first ):

The Control Center remote works perfectly fine for me, and I don't even have the antiquated app installed AFAIK. Maybe delete the antiquated app? At any rate, the Control Center functionality is great for typing searches, which is what I mainly use it for. I use a 3rd party remote for most other things though since the Apple remote blows chunks...

Reactions: Ansath
Comment

Ansath

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2018
England
The Control Center remote works perfectly fine for me, and I don't even have the antiquated app installed AFAIK. Maybe delete the antiquated app? At any rate, the Control Center functionality is great for typing searches, which is what I mainly use it for. I use a 3rd party remote for most other things though since the Apple remote blows chunks...

Yea, I deleted the separate one as soon as we got the Control Center one, and it's been flawless for me, I use it everyday.

Comment

ctdonath

macrumors 65832
Mar 11, 2009
Both "remotes" work inconsistently. App is more functional, control center is more likely to actually find the ATV (I have 2) involving 2 networks + cellular. One of those things subtly irritating but I just work past it (usually switching remote) and carry on, not quite irritating enough to nail down & fix whatever's annoying.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.