Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's TV Remote App Pulled From App Store Since Functionality is Available in Control Center

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
What about devices running iOS versions older than 12?

Use the control center app since it was introduced in iOS 11. You would need something older than an iPad mini 2 or iPhone 5s to have an issue.

Reactions: Ansath
Comment

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
The remote app has been kind of broken since iOS 14 was released. Volume control of TV stopped working using the physical buttons on my iPhone. But would still work from the control centre so I’ve got used to using that anyway.

Comment

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
The Control Center version lacks 10-second skip buttons, as well as what others have mentioned. It's definitely a step down using the Control Center version, and I've never really liked it.

You might wanna get a refund on your control center then. Here's my control center remote:

IMG_6882.PNG

Comment

skerb1

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2013
I may have missed it, but does anyone else here use the remote app on the watch?? I have it as a watch complication and use it all the time! Its for basic stuff, but works really well... I'll miss that
Same here. I use the remote from my watch all the time. Seems like not many people care about this use case. I will miss it as well.

Comment

Bandaman

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2019
Same here. I use the remote from my watch all the time. Seems like not many people care about this use case. I will miss it as well.
This isn't tied to the downloaded app, it's part of watchOS. You will still be able to control the TV from the watch like always. I haven't downloaded the actual remote app in a long time and have been able to control the TV just fine.

Comment

Ansath

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2018
England
This isn't tied to the downloaded app, it's part of watchOS. You will still be able to control the TV from the watch like always. I haven't downloaded the actual remote app in a long time and have been able to control the TV just fine.

I deleted the app as soon as the remote was available in the Control Center. I've done a few clean installs of my watch and it's always had the remote app there, so yea, I think it's part of WatchOS too.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
We control our Apple TV exclusively with our phones and the control centre remote loses connection half the time.

The app is much better (for whatever reason) - never disconnects randomly and works fine
That's strange because I almost exclusively use my phone as well and I've never had the control center have an issue. But I've also not used the remote app in years and don't even remember if I have it installed.

Comment

rmariboe

macrumors member
May 27, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
LOL this is the most redundant app that Apple ever created. Since its launch I’ve always thought the same thing.

I can access Apple TV remote from my control center, why would Apple make another app that works the same?🤪

Apple should improve the Control Center remote instead of creating another app to fill my homescreen (or App library)
Uh... The app existed way before Control Center was even on the drawing board 😅
Also, I can’t fit the newer, fat AppleTVs between my TV and the wall, and the Control Center remote doesn’t work with the slim AppleTV so I’m pretty much left without an AppleTV if once they kill off the app...
Edit: Just updated AppleTV (gen3). Now Control Center connects but only the directional buttons and Menu work...

Last edited:
Comment

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
I digress any thing that is hidden like Control centers is no way better than looking for an option in Setting you can just see.

Sometimes i can't use Flashlight because its OLY available fro a swipe up motion. It takes me three goes at gettng control centre up, where settings i would have had it by now.

Comment

Itinj24

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I may have missed it, but does anyone else here use the remote app on the watch?? I have it as a watch complication and use it all the time! Its for basic stuff, but works really well... I'll miss that
Yes, I use this all the time when I’m in bed winding down and need to make a quick channel change or whatever. Do we know they’re getting rid of the Watch app though, since phone and watch apps can be independent now?

Comment

Itinj24

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2017
New York
A shame, as I was hoping that the remote app would gain a widget at some point.

The physical remote is useless as it is either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. Easily Apple’s worst piece of technology released, although I’m not hearing great things about MagSafe.
I was hoping for a widget too. Vizio TV remote has a today view widget and it’s awesome.

Comment

GreenLightLuke

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2019
That's strange because I almost exclusively use my phone as well and I've never had the control center have an issue. But I've also not used the remote app in years and don't even remember if I have it installed.

Yeah, it is very strange. Not sure if it is app specific (Netflix, Amazon Prime) but often it will say looking for TV or something similar on the remote.

I would take the disconnects over having to use the actual remote though.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Yeah, it is very strange. Not sure if it is app specific (Netflix, Amazon Prime) but often it will say looking for TV or something similar on the remote.

I would take the disconnects over having to use the actual remote though.
I’ve never seen that text before and I’ve been using the remote app from the early days with the Apple TV 2 and whenever they added Notification Center several years ago. Might be an issue with your router or maybe faulty Apple TV hardware? Maybe some weird handoff settings? Idk, weird. I use Netflix all the time but rarely use Amazon Prime.

Comment

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
In addition to removing the +/- 10 seconds buttons, is there a way to skip forward/backward tracks?

The only way I can see is the media controls in the control center upper right box. However, it is not perfect as it just shows something than what's playing on the Apple TV like Apple Music on the iPhone. I'm keeping the Remote app as long as it can be used.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.