Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's hotly anticipated 5G iPhone could be delayed to due to the coronavirus outbreak, according to a report from Bank of America analysts quoted by Bloomberg. The analysts believe Apple's 5G iPhone release could be delayed by a month this fall.

ESU6IkHU4AAS0KT.jpeg
iPhone 12 Pro concept via EverythingApplePro

In addition to delays of Apple's "iPhone 12," analysts also believe Apple's rumored "iPhone 9" or "iPhone SE 2" release date could also be pushed back "a few months," citing both supply chain issues and weaker demand for devices as a result of the coronavirus outbreak. The release of new devices will "depend on how production ramps back up in April and May."

Apple's stock has fluctuated over the past few weeks amid fears of COVID-19. Since its record high of $327.85 on February 12, shares have fallen by as much as 13 percent.

Just a few weeks ago, Apple announced it will not meet its revenue goals for the March quarter due to the impact of the COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic in China. Apple has said it is continuing to monitor the situation and will provide additional information on its quarterly earnings call in April.

The effects of COVID-19 have been changing each day, so it remains to be seen how much more of an impact the virus will have on Apple's 2020 plans.

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming 5G iPhone Could Be Delayed Due to Coronavirus

gretafour

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
Given that no vaccine is available, and at soonest we’re looking at a year and a half, perhaps it’s a bit premature to tell people to get on with their lives.

Have you had trouble getting on with life despite the flu killing hundreds of thousands of people every year? COVID-19 is shaping up to be a somewhat more severe and contagious flu. It's the unknown that people are afraid of, not a contagious respiratory illness.

There are also promising anti viral drugs. Science is the answer, and it should be prioritized!

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Given that no vaccine is available, and at soonest we’re looking at a year and a half, perhaps it’s a bit premature to tell people to get on with their lives.

Meh. You’re either going to get sick or you’re not. Many of us are going to get cancer one day too, but is it worth spending every day of your life worrying about it?

Of course it’s sensible to take precautions, but are you really going to spend the next year-and-a-half living in panic, fear and isolation?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Have you had trouble getting on with life despite the flu killing hundreds of thousands of people every year? COVID-19 is shaping up to be a somewhat more severe and contagious flu. It's the unknown that people are afraid of, not a contagious respiratory illness.

There are also promising anti viral drugs. Science is the answer, and it should be prioritized!
I’ve had no problem, because i get the flu shot.

If I couldn’t get flu shots then, yes, I would find that the yearly spread of the flu would be problematic for my family.
[automerge]1583683179[/automerge]
You mean Tim Cook lied about the situation being resolved and that *staring directly at shareholders* there would be no supply chain issues?

Or you just lied about what Tim Cook said, because he didn’t say “the situation [is] resolved.”

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
Many of us are going to get cancer one day too, but is it worth living every day worrying about it?

But you can’t spread cancer to other people, so that makes no sense.

I just wish Apple would use this hardware downtime to mix their freakin’ software.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Meh. You’re either going to get sick or you’re not. Many of us are going to get cancer one day too, but is it worth spending every day of your life worrying about it?

Yes. It is worthwhile worrying every day about getting cancer, and taking appropriate steps to avoid it (like not smoking, wearing sunscreen, not drinking PCBs, etc.)

And it is worthwhile worrying about getting CV-19 and taking appropriate steps to avoid it (like staying away from mass gatherings, washing your hands frequently, carrying hand sanitizer, cancelling unnecessary trips, etc.)

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030

Although it does appear to be less of an issue for younger and healthier people, Covid19 is far more virulent than the seasonal flu, with no anti-viral protections available, and a year+ wait for a vaccine, if one can even be developed. Not to promote fear or panic, but this has the potential to kill a shocking number aging parents, grandparent and younger people with compromised immune systems. And yet, here we are acting just like China did in the early stages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
So what if some new iPhones are delayed? It's not that big of a deal when compared to possibly many people dying from some virus. It's not as though Apple is going to go out of business because a few consumers can't purchase new iPhones.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I’ve had no problem, because i get the flu shot.

If I couldn’t get flu shots then, yes, I would find that the yearly spread of the flu would be problematic for my family.
[automerge]1583683179[/automerge]

Or you just lied about what Tim Cook said, because he didn’t say “the situation [is] resolved.”

the flu shot doesn’t protect you from much. I’ve never gotten one. I have many friends and relatives that have and they’re the ones who wind up getting the flu ??‍♂️

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
So what if some new iPhones are delayed? It's not that big of a deal when compared to possibly many people dying from some virus. It's not as though Apple is going to go out of business because a few consumers can't purchase new iPhones.

What do you mean “so what?” Lol we know that people are getting sick and dying. The article isn’t saying that iPhones are more important than people’s lives.

This is an Apple news/rumor site and they are reporting this as they should. Apple is a corporation at the end of the day and they care VERY much about their shareholders/investors AND profits.

This is a normal article that many people care about. It’s possible to care about electronics and human lives at the same time...

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
This is being blown all out of proportion, but maybe that's a good thing. Maybe people will start actually be more hygienic (cover their coughs and wash their hands), stay home when they're sick, and get the flu shot.
Maybe companies will start to think more seriously about allowing people to work from home, and maybe we won't spend so much money and environmental cost on flying people all over the world and find ways to use virtual reality for many of these purposes.

Probably not so much. This will likely blow over sooner than later, especially if this flu acts like other flus and becomes much less contagious with the higher humidity of the summer months.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
Although it does appear to be less of an issue for younger and healthier people,

Based on the logic that no virus has mutated, ever, I see your point. (Wait! That’s not true.)

Kind of like the early days of AIDS, when folks thought only gay men, intravenous drug users, and Haitians caught it.

The joke was, “What’s the most difficult thing about AIDS? Convincing your parents that you’re Haitian.”

Reactions: damphoose and Lazy

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Before the stock market was affected: "Shut down all travel to and from the infected areas and ban people from there from entering the country! We can't let it get here!" ?

After the stock market was affected: "This is all blown way out of proportion, the media are a bunch of liars, just keep going to work if you get sick." ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.