Apple's Upcoming Low-Cost iPhone Could Launch as Early as March

DrTwoFish

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Shame about the single camera. I'd love to "downgrade" from my 11 pro to something smaller & lighter (coming from a 7, damn this thing is heavy in my pocket), but would like at least 2 cameras (wide/standard) and portrait mode. Everything else about the 8 would be fine...

Cosmosent

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
I believe its Back Image Sensor will be the same 12 Mpx used in the Front Camera in the 2019 iPhones, which is the exact same Image Sensor used in the Back Wide in the 2018 iPhones.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
It is not a conspiracy theory, it is simple business. Make and sell the devices that make you the most money. No I'm not mistaking cause and effect, I believe you are! ;). You believe Apple stops refreshing them when people stop buying them, I believe people stop buying them when Apple stops refreshing them. People can't buy something that doesn't exist and of course sales drop on older products that aren't refreshed.

It will be interesting to see if the iPhone 9/SE2 comes in as people are expecting it to at the price point people are expecting it to.

I really don't know the percentages of who would chose the smaller phone over the larger for the same price. The 4" iPhone is too small for me as my "main" phone, but can certainly understand those who still prefer it. Some people prefer portability over size. To a limit I do too! I still prefer the 13" MBP to the 15/16" MBP and would gladly pay the same price for the same features. It is why I prefer my 11" iPad Pro vs the 12.9" iPad Pro. I have several friends who went to a Plus and then back to a non-Plus because they didn't like the size. I tried going from the 7 to the X and absolutely hated it (it felt like a brick, was too hard for me to use one handed among other things) and went back to my 7.
Why would Apple stop refreshing products that sell well? That doesn’t make sense at all.

Doesn’t it make a lot more sense that they don’t prioritize updating products that people aren’t buying?

Based on yourself logic, Apple stops updating popular products, which causes people to stop buying. That makes no sense. If that were the case, Apple wouldn’t be selling anything at this point 🙂

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
They really need a $200 model phone for India and other poorer countries.
They'll never sell unless Apple offers dual SIM models. Those places have a wealth of providers and consumers usually have one provider for text/talk and one for data. Hail, a lot of them forgo talk altogether and have one provider for text and one for data.

FamVR

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2019
I feel sad for the poor people that have to use iPhone‘s with such an outdated design. Sort of an Apple tag on less furtunate people. Well done Apple.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
You are not correct. Some people want Apple and need better speed and a bit better camera, and no way need 11 etc. A cheap a13 with bit improved camera will appeal to a lot of people
All iPhones are now relatively cheap for everyone when you factor in trade in and also the option of the pay monthly plan.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
That's always been (anecdotally, and perhaps really, how will we ever know if we're not Apple executives) true of Apple, at least it was. Taking that as true, though, once Apple came out with the 6 they failed to convince me that was what I wanted. Since 2007 I purchased an iPhone every two years or so, but since buying my beloved 5c in late 2013, it occurs to me I've bought just one more in the intervening six-plus years (my current SE).

Only now am I considering getting a new phone, and I'm not sold yet (for the same reasons I wasn't sold on the 6 and later). And it's a real statement that since the 5c, and assuming I purchase what I assume will be a "iPhone 8 with an A13," each iPhone I've purchased has been less exciting than the last.

(My partner just replaced the battery in her SE, which is a year or two more recent than mine, and it feels like new to her. That remains an option for me!)

(EDITED for grammar and spelling)
You might not have been convinced, but many others were. The year Apple released the 6 was peak iPhone. Many wanted the bigger screens that were finally available.

The SE (and my 6s) are A9/2GB iPhones and they still perform well. But sometime the future, Apple will stop supporting them. At that point, it will be wise to update.

Until then, there may not be a compelling reason to upgrade, it’s an individual decision. Different things are important to different people.

Freida

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2010
Posts like these make me wanna cry about the sheer "ignorance".
Sure, OLED in $400 in Android is the same as OLED in 11PRO etc.
Also, there are lot of people that simply don't want OLED.
I'm one of them for example.
LCD is much better tech overall than OLED. OLED is DOA tech that simply act like bridge before we get microLED. The drawbacks from OLED surpass any benefits so yeah, LCD all the way.

OLED is so cheap that it can be found on every $400 Android Smartphones and wouldn't cost a fortune to put it on $400 iPhone.

Tim Cook is a visionless leadership at Apple that riding on the success of product created by SJ.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I feel sad for the poor people that have to use iPhone‘s with such an outdated design. Sort of an Apple tag on less furtunate people. Well done Apple.
We appreciate your concern but speaking for myself, I don’t give a crap what anyone thinks about my TouchID 6s. Anyone who would judge people based on the phone they carry has problems I don’t need. Even if someone likes Android, why the hell would I care? 🤷‍♂️

Freida

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2010
I agree! iPhone 6 was the peak of what Apple did and the demand was insane. I drove to Germany just to buy it and because I managed to buy 2 (one for me one available) I was able to sell the second one with 100% markup making my purchase essentially free (except the gas for the trip). No iPhone ever came close to this demand. iPhone X was ok but 6 was the real pinnacle of it all.
Funny enough, I still have my iPhone 6 which I tried to replace with 11 Pro but after 10 days I realised its not worth it so I'm eagerly waiting for the SE/9 thing as I believe that will be the perfect hit.
2 more months to see but I really hope Apple will deliver as I hate the direction Apple is taking with their flagship phones.

You might not have been convinced, but many others were. The year Apple released the 6 was peak iPhone. Many wanted the bigger screens that were finally available.

The SE (and my 6s) are A9/2GB iPhones and they still perform well. But sometime the future, Apple will stop supporting them. At that point, it will be wise to update.

Until then, there may not be a compelling reason to upgrade, it’s an individual decision. Different things are important to different people.
- - Post merged: - -

I feel sad for you thinking that it is about price tag only. Also, the way you structured your sentence tells me that you are not so "wealthy" as you present yourself. In fact, I would dare to say that I'm better off than you but at the same time I still rock my iPhone 6. :p
Think what you want but your attitude could need some adjustment. Surely you don't feel sad for people that use iPhones and surely you feel bad for people that actually don't have access to drinkable water, food, etc.
Regardless, you make yourself look silly ;-)

Reactions: arkitect

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
So is this going to be the 8SE, SE8, or SE2? Regardless, just give the "cheap phone" the SE form factor with both home button and HP jack. Do this and update the guts and we are good. I don't care what you call it. :)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Going to be adding a line for my younger son. This will help decide whether he uses an old iPhone 8 or if we trade in the 8 for this (perhaps get it for free as a result?) and have something with updated hardware.

And an 1/8" an audio jack for us Plebeians who still don't like dragging around a dongle or constantly trying to pair/re-connect to Bluetooth.
I'd like this a lot. But I think we've seen the end. :/

So is this going to be the 8SE, SE8, or SE2? Regardless, just give the "cheap phone" the SE form factor with both home button and HP jack. Do this and update the guts and we are good. I don't care what you call it. :)
I can't see a headphone jack any longer. If I'm wrong though, I might want one of these for me lol.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
All iPhones are now relatively cheap for everyone when you factor in trade in and also the option of the pay monthly plan.
Paying monthly for something doesn't make it cheap. It's simply a way for people who can't afford something to justify that purchase over time. This mentality, especially in the US, is one of the reasons so many are in debt to their ears.

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
I feel sad that you have such a sad opinion ;).

My mum has an SE because it was the only phone I could find with decent spec at a size she was comfortable with, if it wasn't for the smaller size she would likely have just stuck with the Moto G line at half the price which would have done what she wanted.

Paying monthly for something doesn't make it cheap. It's nearly a way for people who can't afford something to justify that purchase over time. This mentality, especially in the US, is one of the reasons so many are in debt to their ears.
I wouldn't blindly go for or against pay monthly as it depends on the specific plan.

For example, when I got my iPhone 6 I got a pretty decent deal thanks to a staff discount, but when I got my iPhone 8 Plus it was better to get the phone and sim plan separately.

My dad got an iPhone XR with a heavy discount around Black Friday, he preferred to pay outright but could have potentially saved a little by using their credit plan.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
For many, a phone isn't a status symbol, it's simply a tool. And for many, the best
Tool isn't necessarily the newest most expensive tool. No reason to feel sorry for anyone because they have an iPhone. If you've got a iPhone, by default, you're better off than a lot
Of people, globally speaking.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I feel sad that you have such a sad opinion ;).

My mum has an SE because it was the only phone I could find with decent spec at a size she was comfortable with, if it wasn't for the smaller size she would likely have just stuck with the Moto G line at half the price which would have done what she wanted.

I wouldn't blindly go for or against pay monthly as it depends on the specific plan.

For example, when I got my iPhone 6 I got a pretty decent deal thanks to a staff discount, but when I got my iPhone 8 Plus it was better to get the phone and sim plan separately.

My dad got an iPhone XR with a heavy discount around Black Friday, he preferred to pay outright but could have potentially saved a little by using their credit plan.
We got four free iPhone 11 this year by porting over and trading in old phones ( two iPhone 6s and two iPhone 8). But it's not the credit plan itself that allowed this. It was a carrier incentive for porting numbers over.

Let's not confuse carrier deals with stating a phone becomes affordable because you can break it up into payments. If you end up paying full msrp (or more) throughout the payment plan, that phone hasn't become more affordable because of said payment plan. That's really all I'm saying.

azentropy

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Why would Apple stop refreshing products that sell well? That doesn’t make sense at all.

Doesn’t it make a lot more sense that they don’t prioritize updating products that people aren’t buying?

Based on yourself logic, Apple stops updating popular products, which causes people to stop buying. That makes no sense. If that were the case, Apple wouldn’t be selling anything at this point 🙂
I already explained why multiple times, not sure how else to explain it to you. They are in the business of selling the products that make them the most money - marketshare isn't and never has been their goal. While some people would prefer smaller phones Apple already knows that many will give in and purchase/upsell the larger phones anyway which makes them more money in the end. Now if or when the equation changes and people are not upgrading then the demand builds up then it makes sense for them to try and recapture that group.