Apple's Upcoming Music and TV Apps on Mac Revealed in Leaked Screenshots

Biu_miu

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2016
Look at the inconsistency in design. Shocking. Search bar in the left pane in the music app. Search bar in the top right in the TV app. No reason for the difference. Just carelessness. Both should be in the left hand pane imo as it looks nice and clean, but at least make it consistent. Same for the back arrow placement. Same for the left pane extending all the way up in the Music app, but running into the top header bar in the TV app.

Awful. Totally amateur. This company used to pride itself on extreme attention to detail. I know it's cliché at this point, but this simply wouldn't have happened under Jobs. He was a perfectionist. It's increasingly clear that it was him all along that was responsible for the incredible design language that typified Apple right up until his death. Jony Ive looking more and more like a fraud with every passing day. I know this is software, but he's a major player in design at Apple and both hardware and software have nosedived in quality since 2012.

It was always Jobs.
Same.
I like the minimalistic approach, but interface in general looks like something 12 year old threw together in html.
At the same time, iOS version is more relevant IMHO- bigger reach, more ppl using iPads/ iPhones to consume entertainment, than macs, so, we will see, how iOS app turns out, if theres gonna be one.

Khedron

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2013
I might be one of a handful of people who has never had a problem with the way iTunes is designed. Plus when Apple split off Podcasts into a separate app in iOS that was a complete abomination so I'm not optimistic. The idea was to reduce bloat not make it completely unusable, right?

Anyway how will the new iTunes Store work?

I like the current functionality, for example search "Westworld" and you find the TV Series, the Film, the soundtracks, and podcasts discussing the TV series.

Was this too convenient?

I guess a hint is Apple's recent attempt to delete my ctrl-cmd-D dictionary/thesaurus functionality and replace it with pop up adverts. Maybe something like spotlight integration rather than having to launch an actual Store app? That would also give Apple the excuse to also list related Apple News articles you could have access to for a low price of $10/month.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucidhysteria

Jyby

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
it's not that hard to combine music and videos together... Photos does it well in my opinion

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
F's in the chat for iTunes.

F

It's a bloated piece of crap, but it was our bloated piece of crap. Without iTunes, the iPod wouldn't have gone anywhere and the iPhone probably wouldn't have happened.

Reactions: trainwrecka

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I might be one of a handful of people who has never had a problem with the way iTunes is designed. Plus when Apple split off Podcasts into a separate app in iOS that was a complete abomination so I'm not optimistic. The idea was to reduce bloat not make it completely unusable, right?

Anyway how with the new iTunes Store work?

I like the current functionality, for example search "Westworld" and you find the TV Series, the Film, the soundtracks, and podcasts discussing the TV series.

Was this too convenient?

I guess a hint is Apple's recent attempt to delete my ctrl-cmd-D dictionary/thesaurus functionality and replace it with pop up adverts. Maybe something like spotlight integration rather than having to launch an actual Store app? That would also give Apple the excuse to also list related Apple News articles you could have access to for a low price of $10/month.
I liked the older iTunes. Pre-Yosemite. I'm talking Mountain Lion/Mavericks era and earlier. It became confusing as hell after the iOS 7/Yosemite design changes. In fact, I think MOST of the post iOS 7/Yosemite changes have been terrible, sterile, anodyne and not fun. I wish you could skin modern macOS to look like the OS X days!

aaronhead14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
I just hope Apple starts supporting 4K streaming on the Mac. It's hard to watch 1080p and 720p iTunes content on my 5K screen.

And they really ought to work with Netflix to start allowing Netflix in 4K on the Mac too! You gotta play ball with other companies in order to make your customers happy, Apple!

Reactions: k1121j

newtito

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2006
I meticulously sort my iTunes library with star ratings, BPM, etc., using these to make Smart Playlists. As long as this functionality remains, I might be happy. I always had my music collection, and only just recently started learning how to appreciate something like Apple Music. Never did like the "heart" rating as it wasn't nuanced enough for my tastes, but I do use it.

As other users have pointed out, when the iPod was the only device Apple produced, it made sense to have syncing in the iTunes application. But now that people can technically buy an iPhone and have a music library without ever having the need to even own a Mac or PC, iTunes seems like a strange place to sync your phone/iPod/iDevice.

As for Videos, I have been enjoying Plex recently, and if we could have an application with that type of interface, I think it would be definitely a step up.

Maetzle

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
I'm not a huge fan of how the Music app looks, but then again - it's completely empty and probably (hopefully) looks better with music (+ covers) added in. Also might look better in dark mode.

Not crazy about the TV app either way. That seems like it would look bland even with TV shows in there.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
Irvine, CA
Innovation... my @55.

Splitting an app into multiple. What are the thousands of engineers actually working on now? It's certainly not iOS or macOS. tvOS looks like a disjointed mess too.

Has Apple lost its "why"? I hope they are busy on something revolutionary.
[doublepost=1559156223][/doublepost]
The most interesting thing about this for me is whether there will be a separate app handling syncing and backups of iOS devices. I would loooove to see a separate app for that with granular control over the information that gets synced.
They already have an app for all of this. And it's very much a Beta. Apple Configurator 2.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
I miss iTunes when you could sort and create easily. Maybe it was prior to Apple Music. Everything is a huge pain now. Sad when I lost "Videos" for "TV" as well. They are all so confusing.

Todd Fisher

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Surely this can't be for real... that's a bit...underwhelming. With all their talent, and pretty much unlimited funds, THIS is what they can come up with??

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
So will I need three different apps to sync music, audio books, and videos with my iPhone?

PastaPrimav

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2017
I can already tell you they absolutely nailed it, in terms of what the Sidebar navigation should be. The biggest problem with iTunes in the last few years is what they did to the sidebar, and they have clearly fixed that in these new apps. It has also been clear for a while that these needed to be separate apps so that the navigation could be improved to what it should be.

Certain kinds of UI and nav become impossible when the App gets too big with too many 1st priority sections.

jasonefmonk

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
I still use iTunes to sync local Music/TV Shows/Movies to iOS devices, and use iTunes to serve those local libraries via Home Sharing to Apple TVs, iOS devices, and Windows/Mac PCs. I’ll be really disappointed if the ability to organize and edit the metadata for this media goes away.

nortonandreev

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2016
Sheffield, United Kingdom
I think that they will include iTunes as well, for all features, like cd recording, syncing, updating and restoring iOS devices and etc. I guess the Music app will be just about Apple Music and that’s it. It’s a good idea, however, I don’t like how inconsistent the both apps look like. But we’ll know next week.

Reactions: lucidhysteria

Bokito

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
This looks horrible. Instead of bringing useful macOS stuff to iOS Apple is bringing crappy limited iOS apps to the Mac. The Mac should be full-featured, not a limited iOS experience. I didn’t update to Mojave yet, because I can’t manage my apps on my Mac. This next macOS with even more crappy iOS ports is already a certain skip.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd like to know which "developer" at Apple has the gall to cheat the company out of surprise announcements? To get their own jiggy on? I think it's pathetic to leak company internals for your own personal benefit. Rumour sites figuring things out is one thing. Insiders dumping classified info to the world is something entirely different.

Reactions: johnyslats