Are any other iPad 2 owners considering NOT getting the iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

Unless, I could get a lot of money for it on eBay for my iPad 2, I don't know if I will be getting the iPad 3. My iPad 2 suits all of my needs just fine. I may hold off for the 4.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Type4O macrumors regular

As with all my upgrades, only if it's worth it, which for me means a good performance boost and retina display. If it doesn't then I won't bother.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well since we have no idea what the iPad 3 brings how can we make any informed decision?

If it is just an iPad 2s then I won't upgrade.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

I will be getting it for sure, even if it is not at all different.

7. mindyish macrumors member

I have only had my ipad 2 for a month and searched high and low to find one with 4.3.3 firmware since I wasn't even going to buy one unless it could be jailbroken. I have like 250+ apps and hate that apple limits 12 per folder and when I discovered folder enhancer from cydia I was very happy. I keep everything one 2 pages on the springboard, sometimes a 3rd.

Point is, if the 3rd has features I can't get on my ipad2 even with jailbreak, I would want one, but would still wait until it could be jailbroken before upgrading. If I didn't have one already, I would skip the 2 and go for the 3 sure. One thing I have noticed when I was searching for mine ebay, craigslist, etc, they have a super high resale value. I mean ipad 2's were going for literally the same price used on ebay as brand new in store! So, when there is a jailbreak for it, I will sell my ipad2 and put that and a lil extra toward my upgrade but that could be another year depending on dev team. Now, if the 3 is waterproog and I can use it in the bath, it will have siri, and I can use my unlimited TMOBILE data plan on it, then im sold, haha.

Heck, Im still in the market for a 1st gen for my son.

8. LeeM macrumors 6502a

I'll work out what it will cost me on top of what I can sell my iPad 2 for, if the new features are worth that cost then I'll do it. If its going to cost £100+ for a retina display, Siri or a slightly faster processor then I won't bother. If I can get all 3 for less than 100 I'll do it?
    With those conditions in mind, I think it's unlikely I'll be upgrading.

9. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I will definitely get the iPad 3. I'll give the current iPad 2 to my wife. :)

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

OP, there is nowhere that states u have to dump your old one and upgrade to the next. :p

11. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I have had my iPad 2 since around the time they came out and I have no intention on buying an iPad 3 (or whatever it's called). It's hard for me right now to spend even $500 on a new tablet. I'm debating on whether I'm going to get the iPhone 4s when I can upgrade next month. Even if I could afford it, there is no real reason for me to get a new tablet right now.

12. applephanatic macrumors member

I usually upgrade my Apple Products once a year, I keep all my products in cases and screen protectors, I then sell them on CL or sell them to Family/Friends.

However this year, I might have to rethink this idea, College costs a lot of money and every penny is crucial.

The only thing that would make me upgrade would be Retina display, quad-core A6 and more RAM, a gig would be the minium, 1.5+ would be ideal. If these aren't met, I will stick my iPad 2, the machine is still gonna be super fast, and iOS 6 through most likely iOS 8 will support the iPad 2.

13. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

I'm not getting the 3. The one I have now still works fine for me so there's no point.

14. Kendo macrumors 68000

iPad 3 seems like it will be the same big jump as iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4. If there were ever a time to make the jump, this is it. Retina display is such a giant leap in terms of screen clarity.

15. skillwill macrumors regular

I'm not getting the iPad 3 made the mistake of buying an iPhone 4S when I already had the 4 and have learnt lessons. Hopefully apple will follow a similar pattern for the iPad (2, 2S, 3 ...) it ain't right having to spend good money on something that's made to feel out of date merely a year later. Just hope iOS 6 will still run well on the iPad 2

16. Kendo macrumors 68000

If anything, the iPad 2 could be considered the iPad 1S and the iPad 3 could be the next big jump. The iPad 2 just added a faster processor, the screen had the same resolution, it is a little lighter and thinner, and added cameras which no one really uses. Not really a significant update from the iPad 1.

17. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

My iPad 2, that I got in 8/2011, does everything I need to so I am not going to upgrade. Maybe in two years, I will think about upgrading. :)

18. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I have the original iPad, and I'm still not considering an iPad 3.

Unless, of course, it does laundry for me.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Without knowing precisely what features the next model of iPad will have, surely this is a nearly impossible question to answer?

There some people who widely deride Apple enthusiasts, suggesting that those who use their products are somehow deluded or tricked by wily marketing into buying whatever Cupertino pushes down the pipe.

The reality is that, like most Apple customers, I tend to use far more practical considerations in my purchasing decisions. Its time to upgrade or replace my current Apple gear if and when it is no longer able to do what I want it to do. If this happens to coincide with some brilliant new feature or function, well and good.

If all that the iPad 3 brings to the table is a bit more memory and processor power; a slightly better camera; and a so-called Retina display - then I'll probably sit this one out. That doesn't make the iPad 3 a bad product (especially for the millions of people who don't have an iPad at all yet) - it simply means that it doesn't provide a compelling enough reason for me to part with my current model, which continues to delight and astound me every time I use it.

20. bri1212 macrumors 6502

At this point, I am not considering anything at all. Until I have something more than rumor to go by. How can anyone know, until we have some idea what the Ipad3 will have?I won't make a decision on buying the 3, until they announce it's features.
    Otherwise, how do I know if it is worth it?

21. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Right now I share my iPad 2 with my gf.

If the iPad 3 is a huge leap forward we'll probably upgrade, or I might just buy one for myself.

22. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I'm not upgrading til I have the budget for 3G - that might be the 3, it might be 4.

23. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Must have:
    Retina

I'd like it to have:
    More Ram
    Faster processor

Bonus if it has:
    Better cameras for skype or apps. Never taken a photo with it, never will.

If it doesn't have retina, I'll be content to wait for the next model. No worries.

24. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Not sure yet, if the rumored display becomes reality I may need to consider. But so far the iPad 2 has been a great companion.

25. donnaw macrumors 65816

My iPad 2 is continually crashing when using any browser and some apps. I'm getting tons of 'low memory' instances - about half result in a crash.

I would only consider a new iPad if Apple fixes the low memory issues and/or the iPad 3 has at least 1 gig of RAM. Otherwise, next time I buy a tablet it won't be an iPad.