Are there USB-C to SATA 3.5" cables?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DeanLubaki, Nov 30, 2018.

1. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

Hello!
    I can't find any USB-C to SATA 3.5" cable that support Power Delivery (can power the 3.5" hard drives without the need for an external power supply).

Did anyone find one?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think you will find such a thing. All the USB-A to 3.5" SATA cables I ever saw had an external power source to provide enough power for the 3.5 drive. I think USB-c is going to be the same situation.

3. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

It is technically possible as a 3.5" HDD will require 12V @ around 30W, but while USB C Power Delivery full profile support is on the Macbook for power the laptop itself, it isn't clear how much of USB C Power Delivery is supported bus powering other devices. That would also spread to other USB C enabled laptops.

Since enclosures and cables aren't selling for top dollar like they used to I'd imagine there just isn't room in the market for a "premium" USB 3.5" HDD enclosure or cable so manufacturers are waiting for USB C power delivery profiles for bus powering being a bit more universal and/or clearly explained to users.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I think you're going to need a USB3/SATA docking station that has its own power source...

5. DeanLubaki thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

Ugh I'd kill for one

6. HenryAZ macrumors 6502a

HenryAZ

This Plugable upright docking station offers a USB-C connection. I can take 3.5" and 2.5" drives (including SSDs), and has its own power supply, which, as has been mentioned above, is necessary to power 3.5" drives. It comes with a USB-C -> USB-C cable and a USB-C -> USB-A cable. I've been using an older Plugable (USB 3.0) flat docking station, but I will be replacing it with this one now that I have USB-C ports available. The price is right and I've always had perfect performance from the older one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E80N2E...olid=35D4R7WH5GGFL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it