Carrier AT&T also offering free iPhone 7 with trade.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
Again, only requirement here is that you keep the line active and keep up the device payments for 2 years. If you want to upgrade next year, you can do so (e.g. sell iPhone 7 and buy 2017 iPhone model for full price) while continuing to pay for device installment to continue receiving the credits. Pretty much if you're smart about how you upgrade next year and don't need to switch carriers, you could essentially be getting iPhone 7 for just the tax.

Exactly what I plan to do. Even if I don't, no way you can get $650 for an iPhone 6 Plus that's 2 years old. Going for eBay around $400 (give or take). Even if I trade next year and lose the rest of the credits, still get over $300 in credits. I like the deal myself.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
That I'm not sure of
Then don't state it as fact.
[doublepost=1474379405][/doublepost]
plus selling your phone for 400-500 will always be better than junk like this
Where can I sell my two year old iphone6 64gb for $500 net in my pocket with zero risk or hassle?

You're projecting your preferences on others and looking the fool for it.

I tend to upgrade every couple years. If I should happen to upgrade again next year instead of waiting, I'll just shuffle this iphone7 to a non-techie family member who's still happy with her iphone 5s and continue to get the credits.

Not interested in switching to TMO or Verizon or Sprint any time soon; TMO's service sucks at work and the other two suck at home.
[doublepost=1474379555][/doublepost]
Going for eBay around $400 (give or take).
Which turns into $340 in your pocket and potential risk of a return or buyer charge-back.

Sure, I've used ebay for sixteen years and haven't yet had an issue selling something, but I also am very careful about selling items that are at high risk for fraud.

I'm not dogging you, just adding more info/detail to your post.

End of the day, this is a decent deal for some people and not a great deal for others. If you have a low end iphone6 and aren't likely to take the iphone7 off AT&T for two years it's a pretty good deal. If you have a high end iphone6s+ and plan to upgrade again next year, then it's probably not your best option.

Mature folks can discern that others situations are frequently different from theirs.

Last edited:

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
Then don't state it as fact.
[doublepost=1474379405][/doublepost]

Where can I sell my two year old iphone6 64gb for $500 net in my pocket with zero risk or hassle?

You're projecting your preferences on others and looking the fool for it.

I tend to upgrade every couple years. If I should happen to upgrade again next year instead of waiting, I'll just shuffle this iphone7 to a non-techie family member who's still happy with her iphone 5s and continue to get the credits.

Not interested in switching to TMO or Verizon or Sprint any time soon; TMO's service sucks at work and the other two suck at home.
[doublepost=1474379555][/doublepost]
Which turns into $340 in your pocket and potential risk of a return or buyer charge-back.

Sure, I've used ebay for sixteen years and haven't yet had an issue selling something, but I also am very careful about selling items that are at high risk for fraud.

I'm not dogging you, just adding more info/detail to your post.

End of the day, this is a decent deal for some people and not a great deal for others. If you have a low end iphone6 and aren't likely to take the iphone7 off AT&T for two years it's a pretty good deal. If you have a high end iphone6s+ and plan to upgrade again next year, then it's probably not your best option.

Mature folks can discern that others situations are frequently different from theirs.
I was agreeing, saying the $650 was a better deal than going to eBay You didn't read all of my post.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
No, it's still a garbage offer. 450 subsidy plus selling your phone for 400-500 will always be better than junk like this. Keep in mind, any trade in service will give you 300 or so for your phone which is basically all this is if you plan on upgrading next year.

Misleading offers like this are for the clueless masses. Gotta love them though.
But you only got a subsidized upgrade every two years so not sure how you come up with your math. In my case the device gets passed down to someone else on the plan and I used their upgrade.

For this year, this deal is better than the old upgrade. Who knows what they will do next year.

If you're flying solo then you only got a subsidized upgrade every two years so not sure how you're working the math. If you were taking someone else's upgrade on your plan then sure it'd work for you but you're ending up with one new phone and the person from whom you took the upgrade is stuck with an old device. That works if you've got people that don't care about phones. I don't! In my case no one had a device more than two years old.

Reactions: HiItsMe

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Make that 240 or so in credits. They take 3 billing periods to start up. Most trade in services are ripoffs but they'll still give you more than 240. Keep in mind, this is if you plan on upgrading in a year. If you do, this is a bad offer. If you plan on keeping the phone for 2+ years, then it's ok although you're still better off with a subsidy (at verizon).

Whatever the case, it's sort of misleading and they're all doing it. I would be weary of taking an offer that takes 2 years to pay you and essentially puts you on a contract. Sell your phone.
They reimburse you the 2-3 payments that you made on the first credit adjustment. The whole point is to keep you as a customer for two years.

Reactions: rui no onna

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
The whole point is to keep you as a customer for two years.
Exactly. They're buying reduced churn. The deal is set up to increase the barrier to exit and go to a different carrier. Especially for folks who likely are already paid off and are free to fly away. So maybe not a great thing if you're itching to jump ship, but a pretty decent option for those who aren't going anywhere anyway and don't upgrade every line every year.

Thank you, T-Mobile!

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Anyone thinking of going from a 6s back to a Plus model?

I switched from a 6 Plus to a Gold 6s 64gb about 5 months ago. I enjoy the small size, speed, and the improved system memory for multitasking, which the 6 Plus suffered from. Though, I do miss the large display for media in day to day use.

I could essentially pay off the 6s, about $625, then trade it in and get the $650 credit towards an iPhone 7 model. Especially the Flat Black color, now that the front and back match.

Paying the same
No matter what, I'd be paying $625 over time, but if I pay it up front, I get an iPhone 7 immediately.

Second Chance for a Plus Model:
Going from a 6s to a 7 would not likely be very noticeable. But this could be an opportunity to switch back to a Plus model and just pay the difference I would have 5 months ago. For others, it could be an opportunity to get a Plus for the first time if they regretted the normal one later.

Credits over 24 months limitation:
One big concern with this route. Will I be tempted by the next big iPhone refresh a year later? Any changes to the plan would mean losing half those credits. The increased value of having a 7 over a 6s may help, but not nearly enough.

If you plan to upgrade a year from now, has this stopped you from doing this promotion after running the numbers?

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Nice find, I'm calling tomorrow as I have a 5C to get rid of, I'll post update to what they say. Calling it now though, I waste an hour to get a no we don't match that offer
Do you have a link that shows that offer?
Mike, I found a comment about this on a Slickdeals thread; doesn't sound promising to get AT&T to match Verizon's offer:

What is the best anyone has done with an iPhone 5 or 5s? I had them offer me $100 credit to upgrade the line, but standard trade in value for 5. Haven't gotten near the $400 Verizon or T-Mobile are offering.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
FYI on the turn-in experience:

I'd finally gotten around to activating my iphone7 last night, so today I went over to a nearby AT&T Corporate store at about 11:45am to do the trade-in on my iphone6.
  • The guy I worked with knew the promo, he said many of the store employees took advantage of it.
  • I took only the phone, no cable or charger or box or anything. They didn't say boo about those.
  • No comment about phone condition; though since it was mint there wasn't anything to say.
  • He also double checked that I'd wiped the phone.
  • Of course he also did the requisite co-sell stuff but was cool about it as I politely declined accessories, tv service, internet service, and home security system service.
  • I left with papers in hand documenting my trade-in and the FALL2016TRADE promo code
Total time was about ten minutes from walking in the door to walking back out. In ten years of dealing with AT&T that may have been the fastest turnaround time ever for actually transacting something.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Just a quick update for others who bought direct from Apple. I got a text just now from att telling me my 7 Plus is on its way and informing me of the trade in. I initiated the trade online and plan to take the phone to a store after work today.

Reactions: clunkmess

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Just a quick update for others who bought direct from Apple. I got a text just now from att telling me my 7 Plus is on its way and informing me of the trade in. I initiated the trade online and plan to take the phone to a store after work today.
I just got this text as well...but I cancelled my order last week. Wonder if a phone is actually on its way since my order shows online as cancelled.

stlwx21

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
I'm on ATT and currently off contract. Can I take the trade in and and then pay it off early?

SDM44

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Los Angeles
Quick question.....

If you are doing a trade in for a phone in the store, but the phone isn't available until next month or even until November, do you still need to wipe and turn in the phone at the time of purchase?

Or are you allowed to continue using the phone until the new 7 comes in, and then wipe and turn in your existing iPhone 6 into AT&T?

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I'm on ATT and currently off contract. Can I take the trade in and and then pay it off early?
If you pay it off you stop getting credits and lose the remaining credit balance. Not a good plan.
[doublepost=1474410907][/doublepost]
Quick question.....

If you are doing a trade in for a phone in the store, but the phone isn't available until next month or even until November, do you still need to wipe and turn in the phone at the time of purchase?

Or are you allowed to continue using the phone until the new 7 comes in, and then wipe and turn in your existing iPhone 6 into AT&T?
You don't trade in your current phone until your new phone arrives.

Reactions: pdxmatts

stlwx21

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
If you pay it off you stop getting credits and lose the remaining credit balance. Not a good plan.
So if you pay off the balance of your trade early, you then lose the rest of the credit balance which essentially puts you on the hook for the rest of the balance on the phone? Am I understanding that correctly?

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
So if you pay off the balance of your trade early, you then lose the rest of the credit balance which essentially puts you on the hook for the rest of the balance on the phone? Am I understanding that correctly?
Yes, you only get the credit for each month that you make a monthly payment. If you pay it off in full, you end the credits. As an extreme example, if you picked up the phone tonight and were set up to pay via Next and did the trade in instore, but then for some reason decided to pay off the phone in full tomorrow, you'd get zero dollars on this offer.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Yes, you only get the credit for each month that you make a monthly payment. If you pay it off in full, you end the credits. As an extreme example, if you picked up the phone tonight and were set up to pay via Next and did the trade in instore, but then for some reason decided to pay off the phone in full tomorrow, you'd get zero dollars on this offer.
Yes, so you don't want to pay it off earlier then a year lets say, because then your trade in was not worth it. If you wait a year, at least you will get $325 for your trade in. If you wait 2 yrs, you get $650. If you pay it off in 2 mo's, your trade in value would only be around $50. It doesn't put you on the hook for the rest of the balance, because you paid it off, you just would be losing the remaining credits.

SDM44

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Los Angeles
Just went and paid for a new iPhone 7 Plus for the wife, but it won't show up until early Nov.

Basically I paid for the phone with the 24 month plan, but there was no mention of the Fall Program or trade-in on the store receipt. The sales guy said that the trade-in happens when I bring the phone back in once I receive the new phone, and they'll do a "buy back" on the phone and at that point they'll credit me the $650 for the phone. Even if the promotion ends by the time I receive my phone, he said since I bought the phone right now while the promotion was going on, that I'm eligible for it.

My only concern is that I hope AT&T will still honor this if the $650 credit trade-in deal expires in the next few weeks or in a month, well before I get my phone. Since there's no mention of any trade-in program or Fall Program deal, do I have anything to be concerned about? I figured at the very worst case, I would return the phone if they didn't honor it.

Fireguyy

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2009
Will they accept a phone with a small ding on the back? Screen is fine other than some micro scratches from normal use.

mkaen

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
I take it this promo is still live. Did we ever find an end-date on it? My 7 won't be here until October.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
Again, only requirement here is that you keep the line active and keep up the device payments for 2 years. If you want to upgrade next year, you can do so (e.g. sell iPhone 7 and buy 2017 iPhone model for full price) while continuing to pay for device installment to continue receiving the credits. Pretty much if you're smart about how you upgrade next year and don't need to switch carriers, you could essentially be getting iPhone 7 for just the tax.

If you plan on keeping the phone for entire 2 years, then this is pretty much a no-brainer.
I thought about this but when you go to sell next year the buyer would know phone is financed

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
I take it this promo is still live. Did we ever find an end-date on it? My 7 won't be here until October.
I think if you initiate the trade using the links posted earlier you have 30 days to then send in your old phone. Perhaps that could buy you some time?
[doublepost=1474457422][/doublepost]
Hmm, if AT&T's not gonna allow it, then just hold onto the phone to keep receiving the credits and sell it at the end of 2 years.
Yep, and that's particularly handy if you have a family member who doesn't want/need the latest/greatest. Use the 7 as a hand-me-down next year and sell whatever it replaced on the other person's line. That's my plan if whatever comes out in 2017 induces me to buy... though the 6s didn't get me to bite and I wouldn't have bought the 7 except for this deal, so there's a fair chance I'll keep it. Depends on what the 7s/8 brings to the table.