AT&T Announces New Unlimited Data Plan With 10GB of Tethering and $25 Off DirecTV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 26, 2017.

1. cjgrif macrumors newbie

I made the switch to Verizon too from the grandfathered AT&T unlimited over the weekend. Luckily I was able to get my brother to switch from their 8GB Verizon plan to unlimited, and I jumped on as the 4th line, so I'll be saving a good $40-45/month. That will come in handy once I upgrade to a new phone in the fall...and I'll still probably come out a few dollars ahead.

2. biosci macrumors 6502a

Yup! That's similar to me! The tablet plan cost me $20/mo. So without it, it'll would have been about $40/mo or so. Excited! It was more about making the most of my money rather than actually saving money but I guess making the most of it technically is saving as well!

3. takufu01 macrumors regular

I took the plunge and got the unlimited plus....I ported over 1 line to TMobile to try it out....service was not as good as ATT...used the 14 day window and ported the number back to ATT....switching plan to unlimited is saving me about $60.00 per month....would have saved more with TMobile had all my phones been unlocked...but since they weren't would be paying the same ATT because would have to get all new phones on their version of NEXT.....Happy to be saving some monies....also....switching to DirectTV for 2 yrs.....savings over Comcast is about $100.00 per month....taking advantage of the $25.00 credit per month...all in all happy with how it ended up

4. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Keep an eye on your data plans if, like me, you upgraded to the "new" plans but later cancelled the upgrade. I had requested that the new plans start on the 8th, but cancelled that request the very next day. Well, I now have ZERO data. Geniuses at AT&T can't do ANYTHING right. Called in and told them to put the plans back on....

"We'll submit the request, but it could take 4-5 days."

Just another reason to never deal with this company ever again.

5. belvdr macrumors 601

Were you able to get the FAN discount applied?

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G3

Mlrollin91

My bill posted with no FAN. I called in, the guy said, hmm thats strange. He applied a $24.15 credit to my account (21% FAN) and notated my account that if it does not auto-apply next month to call back in and they will manually adjust it. I have chat transcripts proving I was told that FAN would apply and someone notated my account before switching that FAN would apply. I covered all the bases.

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Strange, their site only mentioned military/vet discount. I hope you get yours sorted out, good luck!

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G3

Mlrollin91

Correct, but AT&T told me my FAN applies so I am holding them accountable for that. We will see how next month works out.

9. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I've had that happen to me and they denied my two chat transcripts so from that point onwards I don't believe them. I do hope they get yours applied.

10. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Get ready to call them every single month to have someone manually adjust your bill. The FAN is not supposed to apply to the new unlimited plans.

Eventually, a CSR will refuse to manually apply the discount to your account and they'll escalate you to a manager who will tell you that the FAN never should've been applied in the first place. You'll object and say you have chat transcripts and the manager will tell you that the chat transcripts don't change anything and you'll either agree to pay the price everyone else has to pay for the new unlimited plans, you'll change to another plan that your FAN discount works with, or you'll leave AT&T.

That's how I see this ending up. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G3

Mlrollin91

I'm in a unique situation. I have been promised things via chat before and had the transcript. I took it all the way up to the executive office and was told that if I am every promised something via chat or over the phone and have it in writing to prove it, they will honor it.

There is still nothing in writing on AT&T's website that says FAN does not apply. You'd think it would have to state that in the T/Cs and small print, but it doesn't.

12. avanpelt macrumors 68020

I agree with you that it should state explicitly in the fine print that the FAN does not apply to the new unlimited plans, if that is indeed the case, as it seems to be.

In terms of your getting that kind of commitment from the executive office, that's pretty incredible of them to say that to you. I know small companies with a couple dozen employees total who will make one-time exceptions like that when an employee misspeaks; but I don't think I've ever encountered a company the size of AT&T that will tell someone that anytime an employee misspeaks and the customer gets it in writing, they will honor the error.

They probably have dozens or a few hundred employees that deal with the chat and thousands that handle incoming calls for wireless support. Given the sheer volume of employees they have, there are, no doubt, a ton of erroneous things said by their employees everyday. Who, on these forums alone, hasn't been given information from an AT&T CSR that turned out to be totally incorrect? Probably not many of us.

13. belvdr macrumors 601

I didn't mean to start a debate on whether or not you'll get it. I was simply curious if AT&T honored what they had stated.

I checked the plans today and when going through the "change plan wizard", it doesn't apply the FAN as noted in the discounts row of the costs table.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G3

Mlrollin91

No worries, its not a debate. Just answering questions and describing why my situation may be different than others. But YMMV. Never hurts to call and play dumb. Might get a free month of FAN thrown on.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    The situation that originally lead to this was an upgrade problem. I called AT&T to verify when I could upgrade and the cost (back in 2014). They told me it was on a specific date and what the price would be. AT&T then shortly changed the primary line upgrades from 1 year to 20 months after I was told the previous date and price. The CSR reps pretty much said "Oh well nothing we can do for you", even though it was notated in my account and I had proof. I took it all the way up tot the executive office and they honored what was promised to me and told me that if I ever have a similar problem like that again to get back in touch. So once next month's bill posts without a FAN, I will be reaching out to them.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    Speaking of that costs table. I never had a FAN/discount row. Even on my old plan that was FAN eligible. A few other members posted screenshots showing that row, but it never existed for me, which I found odd.

15. belvdr macrumors 601

If you click on the change plan button, select a new plan, then click "View cost details", it appears. I don't see it elsewhere either.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G3

Mlrollin91

Nope, never appeared for me. I compared with others last Thursday. There has never been a discount row.

17. belvdr macrumors 601

It should be there now. Maybe they started showing it once they had plans it didn't apply to.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G3

Mlrollin91

Negative. Wonder if my account online isn't updated?

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 10.24.34 AM.png

19. belvdr macrumors 601

That is weird. The green line in the left column shows my FAN, labeled as a corporate discount:
    Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 13.37.06.png

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G3

Mlrollin91

Yeah, I really don't know. Maybe with the new update coming to the website next week will show this for me. (AT&T told me they are updating the website for Unlimited Plus users so they can see their Hotspot usage).

21. ovo6 macrumors 6502

Onstar just added a unlimited plan for 20$ a month I guess that's a +

22. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68020

Runs through At&t, which offers same plan, just have to decide who to pay.

23. psylence2k, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

psylence2k macrumors 6502

So has anyone tried and found out for sure you can't apply the $25 Directv Now discount to the original $35 Go Big Plan ?

24. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68020

Been stated and reported many places that you can't .

25. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

You mean grandfathered?