AT&T Announces New Unlimited Data Plan With 10GB of Tethering and $25 Off DirecTV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 26, 2017.

1. eyeseeyou macrumors 65816

If they did I most likely would've stayed.

Shoot T-Mobile is now even offering free iPhone 7 upgrades if you port over your phone to them and trade in your old phone.

Come on att.

2. Zenithal macrumors 68030

Just some personal thoughts.

1. People may choose this plan over a cheaper plan that offers the same or better options due to the coverage area.

Example being TMO while alright, simply cannot compete with Verizon in service here. ATT is up there, but still behind Verizon. In other parts of the country, like the very NE, Verizon and ATT reign king, and TMO is terrible.

2. TMO is cheap for a reason, not that they're passing their savings onto you. Their network coverage is poor in most areas and the bulk of their customer base are economically strained, for lack of a better descriptor. They make quite a bit of money on these poor sods.

3. Sprint's LTE service is terrible and their coverage area is tiny in most metro areas. TMO and Sprint cannot compete with Verizon or ATT in QoS here in this part of the country, neither can Metro PCS or what I presume was a Metro PCS promo pasted as an IMG on the first page of this thread. There is a resounding reason why Metro PCS is jokingly referred to as "Metro Piece of ****" in most places in the US where it's offered. They also deliver a QoS lower than TMO while being on the same network and use the same predatory behavior as their parent company in targetting foolish and impoverished individuals as their main customer base.

4. TMO and similar services love to dish out their sweet talk about how new things are or will be. Meanwhile ATT and Verizon plod along upgrading their network to handle more and more load. I can get full bar service in the middle of BFE, for lack of a more proper area description, hundreds of miles away from civilization, and still get service. Often as good as my SAT phone. Show me a TMO, Sprint or MPCS service doing the same.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

On the other hand without what T-Mobile and to some degree Sprint have been and are doing it's quite possible that Verizon and AT&T might not be offering the type of plans they are currently offering (either at all, or not until sometime well down the line, or not at more competitive prices with some better features, etc.). There are also plenty of people with T-Mobile and even Sprint that are getting service that works just fine for their needs.

4. eyeseeyou, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

eyeseeyou macrumors 65816

I agree that there are obviously plenty of customers that prefer other carriers than att/verizon and actually don't need the type of service they provide for the price they're asking or they possibly are just "foolish and impoverished individuals" lol.

Reports show that Verizon overall has more coverage however is more expensive and at least in the Bay Area may have less coverage than tmobile. If I found myself in the middle of nowhere more often than not I'd probably go with Verizon but even then thank god for wifi calling.

5. kaielement macrumors 65816

Most of the new phones I can think of on Verizon let you talk and use data at the same time. What you said used to be the case a while back. I have an iPhone 7 use talk and data at the time. Just so you know.

6. Zenithal, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017

Zenithal macrumors 68030

Very true. Though I did want to include that or I did and deleted it. The problem is that people are hyping TMO for what they did, never mind that they care about their customers as much as the next big corp. The amount of people who abuse 'unlimited' plans is minuscule to those who wish to not worry about data overages. And contrary to what one person posted in this thread, the term 'unlimited' is not an American word usage, but a global one. Moving data is very, very cheap for these companies, but when you compound the work required to provide such resources, it is rather finite, albeit at a very large scale.

7. mmcmah macrumors newbie

Lol. How condescending can you get??

As C DM and other have said, we largely have T-Mobile to thank for these new plans being offered by Verizon and AT&T. Furthermore, their level of network investment could well have been lower without an aggressive competitor.

AT&T's treatment of is customers has hardly been a shining example of corporate responsibility, so it begs the question: How much, if at all, is T-Mobile worse than the price gouging, arrogant carriers represented by AT&T and Verizon?

As has been repeated on this thread many times, the calculus ultimately comes down to coverage and your needs. I know that in my area, if you have the right bands in your phone, T-Moile has good coverage and much greater speeds than AT&T. Price is obviously significantly better too. So, a win win.

8. HPLouis macrumors regular

I hope AT&T keeps the older unlimited plans around for a few months because they're going to have a lot of upset customers to deal with when they find out they can't apply their FAN discounts. Even though the website said 'only military/veterans", there was so much confusion that customers, confirmed by AT&T reps, switched plans thinking they could keep their discounts. People are going to be upset when they get their bills. Hopefully AT&T kept their old plan around so they could swap them back.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I just switched to the new unlimited plan. I still have my FAN discount.

10. HPLouis macrumors regular

You don't lose the FAN discount. It'll always be on your account. It's just that the discount portion will not apply to your unlimited plan. You might have waiver activations or an accessory discount, those will still apply. But the percentage off your plan, unless you're military/veteran, will not apply.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That makes no sense. How can you have a discount that doesn't discount anything?

12. HPLouis macrumors regular

You might have a discount on accessories or activation fees, those will still apply, but on the plan, it won't. Things might change in the future. I could imagine, in the future, Time Warner employees getting a discount after AT&T buys them out.

13. eyeseeyou macrumors 65816

I think you misunderstood stood my post.

Even though the network coverage for Verizon is better in rural areas than t-mobile, that is not a selling point for me because I work, live(Bay Area) and or travel mostly to cities where T-Mobile has great coverage.

For my use case t-mobile has the overall best package for the amount of money they're charging. Why would I pay for "the best" mobile service in rural areas when I'm rarely ever in a rural area?

I agree without t-mobile most likely att's customers would've never seen the return of UDP's again. That being said if the market is demanding UDP's t-mobile is doing a great job at getting customers to really double check what they're paying for when it comes to signing up for an UDP and people should because at the moment att and Verizon's price are a lot higher and offer less in many cases.

14. michael31986 macrumors 68030

Looks like the old grandfathered plan is actually cheaper with my fan discount so nvm

15. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68020

It stays on your account for other things, other plans, so they know its eligible. You just don't get the fan discount for the new unlimited plan, but if you switch plans, it will be there. Thats why it still shows.

16. MisterL99 macrumors member

So did i, plan went up all of $4 and i get 10gb of LTE tethering, #winning

17. eyeseeyou, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

eyeseeyou macrumors 65816

Officially hopped off att to T-Mobile.

With all promotions, $80 for 3 lines of unlimited everything plus tethering and great coverage in the Bay Area where I spend the majority of my life lol.

Basically got a free upgrade to 7's with each line also.

Been a good ride att. ✌

18. picaman macrumors newbie

picaman

That's exactly where I ended up after a conversation with an excellent in-store rep.

19. michael31986 macrumors 68030

So stupid. Att is the worst. Can't even help out there customers who have been there customers for years. If T-Mobile didn't suck I would go over

20. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Why does T-Mobile "suck"? Asking for a friend.

21. campyguy macrumors 68030

I need VZW for work, and use ATTWS because my mom's on my shared plan and it's the only carrier that works where she lives (and it's been that way for over a decade…).

T-Mo "sucks" for my needs because there's no coverage where I frequent and poor-to-no reception indoors. I won't offer that it sucks for other people because if it works for your needs, then it's perfect. I also feel that T-Mo sucks because their coverage maps just suck - they're showing excellent reception where my mom lives and at two of my project sites, but I can offer that there's no/zero/nada coverage for 20 miles in any direction even with the Band 12 sharing with ATTWS and I feel that they should be fined for misrepresenting their coverage in those areas. VZW and ATTWS accurately represent coverage where I need them to provide service.

I'd offer that where Band 12 roaming with ATTWS and USCC is in effect, yeah, I'd consider T-Mo as two of my employees are getting great service in the Seattle area where the interop is in effect. When I fly back to NYC, however, both ATTWS and VZW iPhones can be useless at times - but I'm with friends then and likely eating and drinking so I won't care about my iPhone so much… If T-Mo works for your friend, perfect - and really that's all that matters.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

Folks on the grandfathered unlimited data plans have been using plans priced out in 2007/2008, no?. Even with the $5 bumps, it's still seems like a ridiculously low rate. So in that regard, seems like ATT has been helping these customers out for many years.

Is the expectation that ATT should discount these new unlimited plans (that have tethering) to where there is no price increase compared to the cost of an ancient grandfathered plan?

If so, I don't imagine ATT is sweating the loss of these customers.

23. MedRed macrumors member

MedRed

I took the plunge and gave up my grandfathered plan. I think I'm the customer AT&T wouldn't have wanted to switch. The new unlimited plan is actually cheaper vs my grandfathered plan with unlimited talk and text. Plus I get tethering as well. I'm finally complete.

24. michael31986 macrumors 68030

It's called competition. T mobile is still cheaper and att isn't doing anything to keep its customers. I should not be paying more for an old plan.

25. biosci macrumors 6502a

Just switched to Verizon this weekend overall, should save $30 / mo for two lines, get tethering finally, unlimited everything AND add an unlimited tablet sim! Yup for about $20-$30 less than I currently pay.

Only thing now is this darn activation fee for switching.... hrm