Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

104554-att_early_upgrade_iphone_apr11.jpg

Last Friday, Android Central posted a screenshot appearing to show changes to AT&T's smartphone pricing structure set to go into effect yesterday, increasing "early upgrade" pricing for all iPhone models that is applied when an on-contract customer is not yet eligible for full subsidy by $50.

According to the AT&T bulletin, early upgrade pricing for the 8 GB iPhone 3GS has moved from $249 to $299, while the 16 GB iPhone 4 has moved from $399 to $449 and the 32 GB iPhone 4 moved from $499 to $549. BGR has confirmed the price increases with AT&T.

AT&T is also boosting prices on its feature phones and non-iPhone smartphones, pushing no-commitment pricing up by $20 on feature phones and $50 on non-iPhone smartphones. AT&T's one-year commitment pricing is also going up by $150 for non-iPhone smartphones, while feature phones on similar plans are going up by $10.

Article Link: AT&T Boosts 'Early Upgrade' iPhone Pricing by $50

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I hate AT&T with a passion. Yet, I'd never switch to Verizon because I'm hooked on 3Mbps + speeds. They're the crack of carriers.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
I hate AT&T with a passion. Yet, I'd never switch to Verizon because I'm hooked on 3Mbps + speeds. They're the crack of carriers.

AT&T is the worst company I have ever had. We dropped them 6+ years ago for a reason. They always tried to get away with charging a little extra on the bill.. Your a bajillion dollar company and you have to scam people out of extra money? Rot in HELL!

KristenM

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

So competition with Verizon having the iPhone = price increase??? How does that make any sense??

leetlamer

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
This is why carrier competition is important. The T-Mobile deal needs to be struck down by regulators.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
It may be from the weakening ( or collapsing) USD, and Apple increasing prices to AT&T. Then again, it may be sheer greed.

nipo

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
Does ATT offer lower off contract prices like T-mobile? You're only saving $150 off the no contract price with the change.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I'm considering going back to pay as you go. Really. My phone is used least for talking. And although I like to have my apps and internet, it's not worth the $75/month I'm paying for some youtube videos or surfing the web while waiting in the car. Google Voice + buying minutes = WINNING for me. I'll simply sell my iPhone and buy an iPod touch. I'm really hating AT&T right now. I may do something rash today.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
This is why carrier competition is important. The T-Mobile deal needs to be struck down by regulators.

Agreed, I'm still surprised by the amount supporters of this 'deal' in an earlier thread on this board. The only winners are Deutsche Telekom (as they get to dump a barely profitable enterprise) & ATT.

nealibob

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

So competition with Verizon having the iPhone = price increase??? How does that make any sense??

You know they only compete to see who can charge more, right?

I is Mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

**** AT&T.

iPhobic

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
You see? This is the problem when there's no competition. Pretty soon we'll have three main carriers (ATT, Verizon and Sprint). One of them decides to increase prices, then the other will follow suit. I'll go with an iPod touch and a paid phone once my contract is up. Screw them all!

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
If anything I'm seeing that this will push resale value of iPhones up.

Of course it sucks, but I don't upgrade early so unless they increase the non early upgrade costs this won't apply to a lot of us.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Switching is probably useless, as Verizon most likely will do the same.

Why leave money on the table?

I agree with the poster about ATT always charging something extra here and there and they know they get away with it as you can never reach anybody to straighten this out or most people won't check a 75 plus page phone bill.

They do @$#@$%#%$#

I am also looking into Boost or other pay as you go services for phone calls.

Need more wifi in places and we can get away with an ipod or ipad.

Let's just say lots of us will check how to get unf#$#$

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
So it looks like when I upgrade every year, I will have to pay an additional $50? :mad: F U AT&T. If you weren't giving me 3+ downloads I would of dropped you in a second!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This is rather amusing. People rush out to buy cheesy $30 iPhone Bumpers that cost .10 to make or some other overpriced case and have no issue. Many even buy multiples before they decide on one.

But ATT raises the cost of a early upgrade phone by $50 and people go bonkers.

1) It's an early upgrade. Do you really need to upgrade your phone sooner than every 18 months? If you do, that is your decision as a consumer. You certainly have no God given right to a cheap upgrade though. Stop whining.

2) Inflation is here. Deal with it. Have you been to the grocery store lately? It's the price we pay when the Fed prints money like Chinese knock-offs.

3) Last I checked the government enacts laws regarding the cell phone industry and also regulates the frequencies. There has never been anything stopping either congress or the executive branch or independent commissions from imposing rules to require cellcos to unlock phones after x months of service or to require them to sell unlocked phones.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I love how in our industry, when we raise a price, we have to justify it to the customer start to finish, across every presence imaginable, media, events, etc... cost of materials, availability during wartime, tighter environmental standards, labor cost increase, having not made an adjustment to the price in nearly a decade despite inflation and other factors... before we'll be able to make a 5% increase to the price and not lose all our customers.

It must be nice to be a telecom company and just toss out huge arbitrary pricing changes without any justification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.