Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
lol.. my brother, wife and I just switched from att to t-mobile. 26 and change for each of us for unlimited everything. so far I haven't had any trouble with my service and I travel all over god's green earth for work. Also, got the free iPhone 7's they offered up until yesterday for making the switch. feels like i hit the jackpot, but i think it's more like i left the rubbish heap.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Zzzz. Left ATT last month and so far no issues at all and certainly no regrets. Plus T-Mob Tuesdays have gotten me two free PPV movies and a free pizza. Not too shabby.

Reactions: Ladyc0524 and CoriG

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I just don't understand the 128k throttling. Is that REALLY necessary? AT&T LTE speeds are regularly 40 Mbps (for me at least). Couldn't they throttle it to, say, 1 Mbps? Wouldn't that be at least reasonable to allow people to continue using it for the rest of the month? 128k is not just slow, it is arguably unusable for many things, which violates the principle of Unlimited.

yockster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
WA
My biggest issue right now with AT&T is these new unlimited plans really do not save you any money and give you more, but more money for slight more options. Went into the AT&T store the other day to look at the plans, and get price points for the new plans, vs what I have now, which includes my corporate discount of 23% off the total bill. To my dismay, the new plans do not give you the corporate discounts anymore, and was going to be $40.00 more than what I am paying for on my old plan. The only difference with my plans was the data, instead of 15GB I would get unlimited or as I like to call it 22GB plan, and for 40.00 more, yeah no. It is my opinion AT&T is trying to phase out any discounts on their phone plans these day. Maybe time to switch after 20 years with them.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Kudos for putting "'Unlimited'" in inverted commas in the headline.

As for 'Unlimited Plus'... just... lol...

All these companies should stop calling their products 'Unlimited' unless and until such a time as there are ever truly unlimited. IMHO.

Is it the consumers' desires or is it just the companies' perception of consumers' desires? Genuine question, I'm not really sure.
If you have ever received a bill for $300 in overages for them you would understand why.

JhonnyC

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for joining the forums and sharing this feedback.

MacRumors was launched in 2000, before the iPod, iPhone, and iPad existed. We've expanded our coverage accordingly. We are still committed to publishing the latest Mac news and rumors, when there is information worth sharing, but it is currently a slower time of the year in the Apple news cycle. As a general rule of thumb, we accept news tips from all readers via email at tips@macrumors.com.

I for one appreciate these articles. Fairly in-depth coverage of these mobile wars. Macrumors is my go to source to find out more information.

If you don't care for these articles then keep on scrolling.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Is it just me, or are all of these plans/prices just getting confusing. Seems like every day they are coming up with something new. Just give me what I need without completely ripping me off... pretty simple.

adepew

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2016
Why would you get this when you can get cricket unlimited for $55 a month that does 8mbps down on ATT towers and no longer sends traffic through a proxy?

Why would anyone want any of At&t's ne plans? Att should take note from Cricket wireless which they own.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cel...oo_medium=TopBanner2&woo_content=Browse_Plans

Unlimited everything for $55 a month taxes and fees included. Data speeds capped at 8Mbps instead of 3Mbps.

I honestly think Cricket is the best deal in wireless right now for plan pricing. Where I live AT&T has the best coverage and I'm paying a fraction of the cost for better Unlimited!

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I don't understand why consumers have such a hard on for "unlimited." I'll take a capped plan with no strings attached any day over an unlimited plan with web of restrictions and limits and gimmicks. If you have issues with a capped plan, then set a higher cap. Easy.

In Canada at least, the caps are crap.

My plan is 6GB shared between three devices (wife's phone, my phone, and tablet) and it's $120. It's only gotten worse. Unlike in the US, while newer technologies (HSPA to LTE) have made spectrum use more efficient, we haven't seen any kind of bump in caps. It'd be nice if we got an annual bump in data or something, but we don't.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Most of the news here isn't "MAC" news...there are very few newsbits about Mac's anymore. It's all iPhones, watches, apps, Apple, politics, etc.
If it's Apple-related in some way, seems like it can be fitting for a site like this.

raivikrant

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2016

AT&T today introduced a new GoPhone prepaid plan with unlimited talk, text, and data at a max speed of 3 Mbps for $65 per month, or $60 with AutoPay enabled. However, unlike AT&T's new $90 Unlimited Plus plan with up to 10GB of 4G LTE tethering, the GoPhone plan does not include Mobile Hotspot capabilities.

ATT-new-2016-logo.jpg

Each line that exceeds 22GB of data usage may experience reduced speeds to a max of 128 Kbps on that line for the remainder of the 30-day term, but only at times and in areas where there is network congestion, which is similar to 22GB and 23GB soft cap policies from Verizon and Sprint respectively.

T-Mobile this week raised its own deprioritization threshold to 30GB, up from a previous minimum of 28GB, as spotted by TmoNews.

A cheaper GoPhone plan is available for $45 per month, or $40 with AutoPay, and includes unlimited talk, text, and up to 6GB of data at a max speed of 3 Mbps. After 6GB, data speeds are slowed to a max of 128 kbps for rest of the 30-day term. Unused data rolls over to the next month. No tethering is included.

Both plans have Stream Saver mode enabled by default, which reduces streaming video to 1.5 Mbps or around 480p quality, but it can be turned off through AT&T's website to stream video in HD quality. Both plans also include talk, text, and data roaming in Canada and Mexico at no additional charge.

The new GoPhone plans are ideal for customers that do not need tethering and are looking to avoid credit checks, activation fees, and deposits, but otherwise AT&T's new Unlimited Plus and Unlimited Choice plans and competing options are worth considering for better features or value.

AT&T's pricing includes monthly access charges, but the plans are not inclusive of taxes or additional fees. Comparatively, Verizon Unlimited starts at $80 per month, Sprint Unlimited starts at $50 per month for a limited time, and T-Mobile ONE, which includes all taxes and fees, starts at $70 per month.

The new prepaid plans appear to be available immediately, but AT&T has yet to update its GoPhone website. Additional lines can be added to each plan, with multi-line discounts ranging between $5 and $20 per month.

Article Link: AT&T Launches $60 'Unlimited' Prepaid Plan as T-Mobile Raises Throttling Minimum to 30GB

On ATT website it is only 40$ after 5$ discount with auto pay and paperless billing. Am I missing something?

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/planconfigurator.html?tab=gophone&plan=basic

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
In Canada at least, the caps are crap.

My plan is 6GB shared between three devices (wife's phone, my phone, and tablet) and it's $120. It's only gotten worse. Unlike in the US, while newer technologies (HSPA to LTE) have made spectrum use more efficient, we haven't seen any kind of bump in caps. It'd be nice if we got an annual bump in data or something, but we don't.

Cellular plans and coverage in any large country is not very good because there is so much land to cover. My Israeli friends always tell me how amazing their cellular coverage is and how inexpensive the plans are, and I have to remind them that their country is the size of New Jersey (or I guess the Canadian analogy would be, the size of Lake Ontario), and thus setting up the infrastructure is so much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ssgbryan

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
This isn't mac news.

This is mobile phone data plan news.

If I want news about AT&T's latest plan, I'm pretty sure I can sign up for that with them.

You sign up for the forums and your first post is to complain about the website the forum is hosted on?

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
Att focusing too much on unlimited now, just lower the price for the other data plans or gives more data

Reactions: Ladyc0524
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.