Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I'm gonna be disputing this. That's just ridiculous!! :mad::mad:
:rolleyes: Really? AT&T doesn't have to offer you a discount. If they offer one before the two year contract ends, it's because you're giving them a lot of money or you're a long time customer.

Yep. People always forget that they SIGNED A TWO YEAR CONTRACT. So if AT&T lets them upgrade at a discount anytime before two years is up, they're just being nice!!
+1 The whining is really annoying.

I bet tins is AT&T's last play before they loose exclusivity. Get all of you 3GS adopters in for another 2 years.
This likely means that Jobs won't announce Verizon until later this year or sometime next year. This gives AT&T a chance to hit all the potential jumpers with the contract termination fee. I don't care; I like AT&T's service and haven't had problems with it.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
forecheck said:
No luck for me, upgraded to the 3GS on the first day, but I only have the 450 minute plan, plus data.

I also got my 3GS fully subsidized on 6/26/09, but AT&T says I'm eligible for upgrade. I also have the 450 min plus data only. I even got upgrade fee waived last year and free 1000 rollover min.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
wow maybe they just havent gotton to my account yet. Do you think it matters if I am on a family plan with 2 iphones?

The key is that your plan must be over $100 per phone.

As for the contract replacing your existing and not adding on to it, that's great! I wasn't sure and a friend misinformed me and I just took his word for it. Makes me feel a lot better about this.

As for getting the new phone. Do we have to order it off the apple website or go in to AT&T? I just wanna make sure I'm ready for tomorrow!

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
As long as your bill is like $100 they let you upgrade every 12 months for the normal price.

Is this per line or per plan? Ours is constantly above it (not to mention a rediculously but expected high roaming fee last mont) - still 2/20/2011 as it has been from the beginning. Could get the 3Gs last time on the first day (from my 1st gen).

goldenaustin

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
wow maybe they just havent gotton to my account yet. Do you think it matters if I am on a family plan with 2 iphones?

I've been on a family plan with 2 iphones and a basic phone since the 3G launch day. I was eligible early on one line for the 3GS launch subsidized price. Now, after checking, I'm also eligible for yet another upgrade on that same line as well as my other 2 lines. I also double checked the upgrade pricing on the existing iPhones, and it's $299 for the non-refurb 32gig. BTW, I'm on the lowest family iPhone plan with the standard not unlimited text messages plan.

In all honesty, I have no clue how they calculate upgrade eligibility.

jbee

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2004
O2 Uk Not Offering Any Upgrades

Not only do O2 provide a terrible network in the UK they also have no idea of customer retention. I got the 3GS as soon as it came out - so I guess I still have 6 months left on my 18 month plan.

I would like the new phone launched today. But O2 have no interest in offering any upgrade path until I'm near the end of my contract. It doesn't make sense - surely they should allow an upgrade whenever a new iPhone is due out and just get you to sign a new 18 month contract? Crazy.

YoGramMamma

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2006
well...

How can some people be eligible for an upgrade when they purchased the 3GS on day 1 like me and yet im not eligible. I hope this is something AT&T is just slow on changing. This is crap if I can't upgrade

I don't know if someone has already answered this for you or not, but i think it boils down to how much you spend every month.

I bought my 3GS on day 1 like you, and I am eligible for the full upgrade now, but I also have a monthly bill over $100 which I have been hearing is the threshold for the earlier upgrade cycle. Is you bill over 100 bucks... BEFORE taxes and fees? If not.. then thats probably why.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Do people who bought a fully subsidized 3GS a year or less ago really expect a fully subsidized upgrade already?

If some of us do and some of us don't it would be nice if ATT would explain the rules and (in our views) unequal behavior. If I knew I could understand what now seems unfair and irregular. My last bill was over $600 and still I am at 2/20/2011

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
I don't know if someone has already answered this for you or not, but i think it boils down to how much you spend every month.

I bought my 3GS on day 1 like you, and I am eligible for the full upgrade now, but I also have a monthly bill over $100 which I have been hearing is the threshold for the earlier upgrade cycle. Is you bill over 100 bucks... BEFORE taxes and fees? If not.. then thats probably why.

We pay $180 a month and I am not Eligible....................

globol

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
"As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

That's what I got in my text. I bought a 3gs in November 2009. Only 7 months later and I'm eligible for an upgrade? What does this exactly mean? It doesn't state I get any discounts or anything. Will I be able to get the new iPhone with some sort of discount? I'm assuming if I wasn't eligible then I would have to pay full price for the new iPhone.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
The key is that your plan must be over $100 per phone.

As for the contract replacing your existing and not adding on to it, that's great! I wasn't sure and a friend misinformed me and I just took his word for it. Makes me feel a lot better about this.

As for getting the new phone. Do we have to order it off the apple website or go in to AT&T? I just wanna make sure I'm ready for tomorrow!

I am paying only $85 a month and I can upgrade now. I bought the 3GS on release day last year. It's not all about paying over $100 a month.

Brendon Bauer

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Good 'ol USofA
On a business plan with 5 iPhone 3GS's (all purchased on release day) and 1 crappy $10 line. Each line is $67.50/mo when the bill is split 5 ways. All lines are now eligible for upgrade. :D

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Assuming you both have the same plan and assuming we is 2 people.

180/2=$90 < $100 hinge not being eligible.

It's per phone

Who the hell pays more than 100 PER PHONE? Thats F*cking BS and I would NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER pay any where near that per phone. [We have 4 lines btw]

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Does eligible for an upgrade mean a free upgrade or does it cost something?

Its not FREE, but you get it for a lower price. Like an iPhone 3Gs is $200 when you sign a 2 year contract and If you are eligible you can get it for that price, but if you are not eligible you have to pay like $500... So It really makes a difference.

EDIT:
I figured out why I am not eligible. Instead of being eligible to upgrade after 12 months, I am only eligible to upgrade after 18 months. Thats why I can upgrade on 2/20/2011....

Damn....

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Don't Panic

There is plenty of time. Those who do not yet show eligibility may soon see it (then again, maybe not). The phone is not going to be released today. It's just the presumed announcement. AT&T's system might not have gotten to your account.

Also, don't look for rhyme or reason without intimate knowledge of how the discount system works. It just makes for frustrating posts of "Why don't I get the discount..." and "AT&T is so mean to me..." Fact is, as many have said, if you have an existing contract and they decide to let you exit that contract early so you can sign a new one, they've potentially done you a favor. In their view, they've captured a revenue source for another two years.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'm eligible to upgrade, and without the $18 fee, but in the unlikely event that a Verizon iPhone is announced tomorrow I'm still going to jump ship.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
I don't understand this.

I should have FULL upgrade eligibility.

I bought my iPhone 3G in August 2008.

What is this "discounted" upgrade ??? :confused:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Att1.JPG
    Att1.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,523

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
ATT calculates eligibility in part based on how much each line (that is each phone number) pays per month. Because one line on the family plan pays the bulk of the fee and the others pay only $9.99, the main line is usually eligible for upgrading sooner.

How can I change which phone that is. I had my account then added my wires phone to our account when we got married 6 years ago but hers is the phone that shows the majority of the bill yet my phone is the master on the account.

I got my iPhone 3GS in August and am getting the message:

"A full discount on a standard handset or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 04/14/2011. We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please visit a participating iPhone sales location for pricing on this offer."

Sucks.. I don't want to have to wait that long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.