AT&T was super rude over the phone when I tried to get my upgrade pushed up just 2mon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
My 2yr upgrade is Nov 19th (thanks to the Macrumors main page post) I just found out so I figured it would be possible to call AT&T and escalate and make a big deal since Ive been a customer for years.

Seemed do-able right?

Wrong.

As it turns out (even after calling 3 times) they are strictly not doing that anymore and they kept pushing me to do next despite the fact I kept insisting I don't want to do that.

I guess they have hard-core instructions from Apple themselves to not move up upgrade eligibilities. And Apple complained that they only have a limited stock so its unfair to the people who are truly eligible if they cheat the others to be eligible too. Something like that from a high level manager that just got a new memo saying this stuff today.

I got into a huge fight and threatened to change carriers and they still didn't budge!!

And now Im stuck paying full price for the 128+

This is BS, they don't care about customer service anymore or what?? You're gonna lose a customer over 2 months upgrade time?

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
You could wait until your upgrade date since I'm sure by then they'll be plenty of stock and you'll save about $500

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
T-Mobile will buy you out of contact and you get get the iPhones for the price you would normally pay.

sqa4life

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
My 2yr upgrade is Nov 19th (thanks to the Macrumors main page post) I just found out so I figured it would be possible to call AT&T and escalate and make a big deal since Ive been a customer for years.

Seemed do-able right?

Wrong.

As it turns out (even after calling 3 times) they are strictly not doing that anymore.

I guess they have hard-core instructions from Apple themselves to not move up upgrade eligibilities. And Apple complained that they only have a limited stock so its unfair to the people who are truly eligible if they cheat the others to be eligible too. Something like that from a high level manager that just got a new memo saying this stuff today.

I got into a huge fight and threatened to change carriers and they still didn't budge!!

This is BS, they don't care about customer service anymore or what?? You're gonna lose a customer over 2 months upgrade time?

It must be their (company) policy that they have to stick with. I wouldn't blame on the rep.

miamialley

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2008
Orange County, California

Seemed do-able right?

Wrong.

As it turns out (even after calling 3 times) they are strictly not doing that anymore and they kept pushing me to do next despite the fact I kept insisting I don't want to do that.

How much would the ETF be?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
LOL good for them, you're not entitled to anything. Just wait two months, they didnt ban you from buying one. Also, it's just a phone.....at the end of the day.

thoryamaha919

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
It's not surprising seeing how big of a release this is for Apple.

If they did bump up people where do you cut it off at? Someone is going to end up on the outside looking in and just miss the cut off. A day or 2 yes I can see that being bumped up even a week but when your'e talking months thats a little different.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
My 2yr upgrade is Nov 19th

They probably are thinking the same thing about you ;)

"This is BS, this customer signed a ****ing 2-year contract and now they want to call us up bitching to get out of the contract early after we already paid them early on (subsidizing a phone back in Nov 2012)?"

A huge fight? Jesus man it's just a phone. You can wait two months it won't kill you.

Last edited:

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Either wait the two months or just order under a new line. Then move the phone over to your line. You signed the 2 year contract so don't get MADD at AT&T.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
LOL good for them, you're not entitled to anything. Just wait two months, they didnt ban you from buying one. Also, it's just a phone.....at the end of the day.

+1. Why does everyone seem to want everything for nothing these days??? The OP went onto a 2 year contract now he wants it to be a 2 year less 2 months contract? Geez. Wait, or pay the ETF (that's Early Termination Fee)

Or, buy it outright, swap the sim, and sell the old one. (Assumption that its allowed in your country, it is in mine, as the contract is for the customer, not tied to a device)

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010

"This is BS, this customer signed a ****ing 2-year contract and now they want to call us up bitching to get out of the contract early after we already paid them early on (subsidizing a phone back in Nov 2012)?"

A huge fight? Jesus man it's just a phone. You can wait two months it won't kill you.

I agree with this.

I am so sick and tired of people using the "customer service" card when a company will not just bend over and tell the customer to shove it home.

By the way, you might be better off with a different plan and next if you would just listen to them.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Everybody wants to be the exception. Being a customer for years puts you in the same boat as millions of others. You signed a contract and now trying to change the terms just because you want a new toy. If AT&T decided to change the terms, you'd probably go ape**** about what a bad company they are.

The rep had likely been given instructions not to change the date. And it was likely one of dozens of calls
they'd received that day asking for the exact same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
Everybody wants to be the exception. Being a customer for years puts you in the same boat as millions of others.
LoL for some reason that reminded me of this great Fight Club clip :D

"You are not special"
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake"
"You are all just a part of the same compost heap"

You signed a contract and now trying to change the terms just because you want a new toy. If AT&T decided to change the terms, you'd probably go ape**** about what a bad company they are.
Yep, imagine if the OP hired a cleaning service and paid them in advance for 2-years of service... only that the cleaning service called him up asking to not have to come clean the last two months of the contract. Think that would fly? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

DVNIEL

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
California

I'm gonna have to +1 this. Calm your tits.

fathergll

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2014

Wow, so some rep who is making crap money has to deal with idiots calling them up and getting into a fight about something the customer is completely in the wrong to begin with? People like you are pathetic. Typical 21st century Americans.....

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'm with AT&T on this. They have no reason to move up your upgrade date as some sort or exception or favor. You signed a 2-year contract and got a subsidy, if you want a new phone before the end of it then just cough up the money to purchase it outright.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

Seemed do-able right?

Wrong.

You could just wait 2 months and save like 400 bucks.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
You're the kind of person that creates long wait times and makes reps hate dealing with customers. Your sense of entitlement makes life just a little bit less enjoyable for the rest of us.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
You're the kind of person that creates long wait times and makes reps hate dealing with customers. Your sense of entitlement makes life just a little bit less enjoyable for the rest of us.
Yep, what do you wanna bet that the call center rep was either pissed off or stressed after the call with the OP and subsequently had way less patience for his next few customers that had legitimate issues?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wow, so some rep who is making crap money has to deal with idiots calling them up and getting into a fight about something the customer is completely in the wrong to begin with? People like you are pathetic. Typical 21st century Americans.....
Typical over-generalization given that this type of stuff has gone on for ages in all kinds of societies all over the world. ;)

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Couldn't you just wait two months?
No.

You could wait until your upgrade date since I'm sure by then they'll be plenty of stock and you'll save about $500
No.

T-Mobile will buy you out of contact and you get get the iPhones for the price you would normally pay.
Wut?

I agree with this.

I am so sick and tired of people using the "customer service" card when a company will not just bend over and tell the customer to shove it home.

By the way, you might be better off with a different plan and next if you would just listen to them.
How is it bad customer service to expect they do something they've been doing for years.
How am I the bad person? In the past of course they would do this only a couple months away.

LoL for some reason that reminded me of this great Fight Club clip :D

"You are not special"
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake"
"You are all just a part of the same compost heap"

Yep, imagine if the OP hired a cleaning service and paid them in advance for 2-years of service... only that the cleaning service called him up asking to not have to come clean the last two months of the contract. Think that would fly? :rolleyes:
Im not asking to get out of contract. Im asking to GIVE THEM MORE GUARANTEED MONEY FOR MORE YEARS.

Yeah without customers they wouldn't have a job. So we are the reason they have a company. Most smart companies like Apple and Amazon prioritize and invest in this concept. Because now they have me second guessing my whole relationship with the company and I will bad mouth them to at least 3 of my friends... so on a so forth.

Vs if they bit the bullet and gave me what I asked for (which was a reasonable request honored in the past) I would have been way happier and maybe bought more or recommended them. And these things add up over thousands of people over time.

So yeah, that IS "customer service." A smart company does anything for a customer who is not suspected of trying to abuse a system or something. Its not like every customer is gonna escalate, but if and when they do, the company should bend over backwards in their own interest of their reputation on a mass scale as per their policies.

Its simple business principles.

I'm with AT&T on this. They have no reason to move up your upgrade date as some sort or exception or favor. You signed a 2-year contract and got a subsidy, if you want a new phone before the end of it then just cough up the money to purchase it outright.
I have no choice but to. It went from 500 to 750. But whatever.

Yep, what do you wanna bet that the call center rep was either pissed off or stressed after the call with the OP and subsequently had way less patience for his next few customers that had legitimate issues?
Good I hope he was. He got all snarky with me and said he was gonna call all the stores in my area to see if anyone would do it because he said he didm have the ability to do it when i challenged him on being a bad person and not doing something i asked for even though he had the power to do it.

But I feel like I pushed it to the limit and still. I think its not even an option in the system.

Little did they know I was bluffing and would never terminate (I need A&T)

BUT THEY DIDNT KNOW I was bluffing and still didn't budge.

Status
Not open for further replies.