AT&T was super rude over the phone when I tried to get my upgrade pushed up just 2mon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

My 2yr upgrade is Nov 19th (thanks to the Macrumors main page post) I just found out so I figured it would be possible to call AT&T and escalate and make a big deal since Ive been a customer for years.

Seemed do-able right?

Wrong.

As it turns out (even after calling 3 times) they are strictly not doing that anymore and they kept pushing me to do next despite the fact I kept insisting I don't want to do that.

I guess they have hard-core instructions from Apple themselves to not move up upgrade eligibilities. And Apple complained that they only have a limited stock so its unfair to the people who are truly eligible if they cheat the others to be eligible too. Something like that from a high level manager that just got a new memo saying this stuff today.

I got into a huge fight and threatened to change carriers and they still didn't budge!!

And now Im stuck paying full price for the 128+

This is BS, they don't care about customer service anymore or what?? You're gonna lose a customer over 2 months upgrade time?

2. Deguello macrumors 6502

3. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

You could wait until your upgrade date since I'm sure by then they'll be plenty of stock and you'll save about $500

4. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

T-Mobile will buy you out of contact and you get get the iPhones for the price you would normally pay.

5. sqa4life macrumors regular

It must be their (company) policy that they have to stick with. I wouldn't blame on the rep.

6. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

How much would the ETF be?

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

LOL good for them, you're not entitled to anything. Just wait two months, they didnt ban you from buying one. Also, it's just a phone.....at the end of the day.

8. thoryamaha919 macrumors member

It's not surprising seeing how big of a release this is for Apple.

If they did bump up people where do you cut it off at? Someone is going to end up on the outside looking in and just miss the cut off. A day or 2 yes I can see that being bumped up even a week but when your'e talking months thats a little different.

9. nnacrumors, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

nnacrumors macrumors 6502

They probably are thinking the same thing about you ;)

"This is BS, this customer signed a ****ing 2-year contract and now they want to call us up bitching to get out of the contract early after we already paid them early on (subsidizing a phone back in Nov 2012)?"

A huge fight? Jesus man it's just a phone. You can wait two months it won't kill you.

10. Wise87 macrumors 6502

Either wait the two months or just order under a new line. Then move the phone over to your line. You signed the 2 year contract so don't get MADD at AT&T.

11. tdale macrumors 65816

+1. Why does everyone seem to want everything for nothing these days??? The OP went onto a 2 year contract now he wants it to be a 2 year less 2 months contract? Geez. Wait, or pay the ETF (that's Early Termination Fee)

Or, buy it outright, swap the sim, and sell the old one. (Assumption that its allowed in your country, it is in mine, as the contract is for the customer, not tied to a device)

12. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I agree with this.

I am so sick and tired of people using the "customer service" card when a company will not just bend over and tell the customer to shove it home.

By the way, you might be better off with a different plan and next if you would just listen to them.

14. mantan, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014

mantan macrumors 68000

Everybody wants to be the exception. Being a customer for years puts you in the same boat as millions of others. You signed a contract and now trying to change the terms just because you want a new toy. If AT&T decided to change the terms, you'd probably go ape**** about what a bad company they are.

The rep had likely been given instructions not to change the date. And it was likely one of dozens of calls
    they'd received that day asking for the exact same thing.

15. nnacrumors, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014

nnacrumors macrumors 6502

LoL for some reason that reminded me of this great Fight Club clip :D

"You are not special"
    "You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake"
    "You are all just a part of the same compost heap"

Yep, imagine if the OP hired a cleaning service and paid them in advance for 2-years of service... only that the cleaning service called him up asking to not have to come clean the last two months of the contract. Think that would fly? :rolleyes:

16. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

I'm gonna have to +1 this. Calm your tits.

17. fathergll macrumors 6502a

Wow, so some rep who is making crap money has to deal with idiots calling them up and getting into a fight about something the customer is completely in the wrong to begin with? People like you are pathetic. Typical 21st century Americans.....

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

I'm with AT&T on this. They have no reason to move up your upgrade date as some sort or exception or favor. You signed a 2-year contract and got a subsidy, if you want a new phone before the end of it then just cough up the money to purchase it outright.

19. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

You could just wait 2 months and save like 400 bucks.

20. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Whelp, that's what happens when you sign a 2 year contract....... Wait 2 months or switch.

21. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

You're the kind of person that creates long wait times and makes reps hate dealing with customers. Your sense of entitlement makes life just a little bit less enjoyable for the rest of us.

22. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Yep, what do you wanna bet that the call center rep was either pissed off or stressed after the call with the OP and subsequently had way less patience for his next few customers that had legitimate issues?

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Typical over-generalization given that this type of stuff has gone on for ages in all kinds of societies all over the world. ;)

24. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

No.

No.

Wut?

How is it bad customer service to expect they do something they've been doing for years.
    How am I the bad person? In the past of course they would do this only a couple months away.

Im not asking to get out of contract. Im asking to GIVE THEM MORE GUARANTEED MONEY FOR MORE YEARS.

Yeah without customers they wouldn't have a job. So we are the reason they have a company. Most smart companies like Apple and Amazon prioritize and invest in this concept. Because now they have me second guessing my whole relationship with the company and I will bad mouth them to at least 3 of my friends... so on a so forth.

Vs if they bit the bullet and gave me what I asked for (which was a reasonable request honored in the past) I would have been way happier and maybe bought more or recommended them. And these things add up over thousands of people over time.

So yeah, that IS "customer service." A smart company does anything for a customer who is not suspected of trying to abuse a system or something. Its not like every customer is gonna escalate, but if and when they do, the company should bend over backwards in their own interest of their reputation on a mass scale as per their policies.

Its simple business principles.

I have no choice but to. It went from 500 to 750. But whatever.

Good I hope he was. He got all snarky with me and said he was gonna call all the stores in my area to see if anyone would do it because he said he didm have the ability to do it when i challenged him on being a bad person and not doing something i asked for even though he had the power to do it.

But I feel like I pushed it to the limit and still. I think its not even an option in the system.

Little did they know I was bluffing and would never terminate (I need A&T)

BUT THEY DIDNT KNOW I was bluffing and still didn't budge.

25. wxnats macrumors 6502a

Why do you think you're entitled to leaving your contract early?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.