Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I got iPhone 4 on launch day, actually day prior in mail.

My upgrade date was 6/19/11, then at some point it got moved to 11/19/11 which it shows now.

Either way I won't be getting iPhone 5, unless I get unlocked from apple so doesn't really matter.

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
Just because it says you are eligible for an upgrade doesn't mean you get the full 2 year pricing.

My account says the same as all of yours regarding the $18 charge with an upgrade, but the iPhone is only $200 off the retail price making it roughly $400 to upgrade with a 2 year contract.

You are not getting the full $199 price. but an inflated $399 price.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Just because it says you are eligible for an upgrade doesn't mean you get the full 2 year pricing.

My account says the same as all of yours regarding the $18 charge with an upgrade, but the iPhone is only $200 off the retail price making it roughly $400 to upgrade with a 2 year contract.

You are not getting the full $199 price. but an inflated $399 price.

How do you know what the pricing is before the phone is even available?

Currently on my account, I'm seeing that I can "upgrade" to the white 32gb iPhone 4 for $299. This is what I paid for my current black iPhone 4 32gb on launch day.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
How do you know what the pricing is before the phone is even available?

Just select upgrade now and see how much prices are for the iPhone 4. The prices aren't going to change, I believe they will be the same as the iPhone 4. For example, let's say I want to get the iPhone 4 now, I choose add to cart and my price is $449. I'm going to bet a large amount that the price for the iPhone 5 will stay the same. 199/299 for new or upgrade eligible, 449/549 for early upgrade.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Just select upgrade now and see how much prices are for the iPhone 4. The prices aren't going to change, I believe they will be the same as the iPhone 4. For example, let's say I want to get the iPhone 4 now, I choose add to cart and my price is $449. I'm going to bet a large amount that the price for the iPhone 5 will stay the same. 199/299 for new or upgrade eligible, 449/549 for early upgrade.

Uh huh. Did exactly that and my price for a 32GB is $299.

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010

My upgrade date was 6/19/11, then at some point it got moved to 11/19/11 which it shows now.

Either way I won't be getting iPhone 5, unless I get unlocked from apple so doesn't really matter.
Same thing happened to me. :confused:

diamondschwin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

bigsexyy81 said:

Same thing happened to me. :confused:

Yeah I was eligible for 6/19 but a week before that date it went to 11/18

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I think *639# is your correct day. The website is just weird and says I am eligible on one line (the one with the iP4 bought on launch day).

When I click on "Upgrade Eligibility" next to the paragraph that says I am ready for an upgrade, it opens a new page that says I am not eligible until 11/23/11.

Maybe I shouldn't have included images, but no one seems to be understanding this so I wanted to reiterate it. It says the same thing for everyone on that first page... It's just letting you know that because you're an AT&T customer you will at some point get a discount when renewing your contract. You have to click "Upgrade eligibility" to actually see what your, um, eligibility is for an upgrade.

Thanks for taking the time to create this post astral, very helpful for all the folks that AT&T confused. Not cool!

And as far as the few of you that mentioned your upgrade went from 6/19 to 11/19 (or whatever) it's looking same for me, but with a different set of months. It extended an similar amount of time. Weird, and also bad.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
Selling iPhone 4 and upgrading line 1 for $199 and getting the iPhone 5.

Using left over money from iPhone 4 sale and using partial upgrade to buy the Samsung Galaxy S2! lol

I need more pockets...

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Maybe I shouldn't have included images, but no one seems to be understanding this so I wanted to reiterate it. It says the same thing for everyone on that first page... It's just letting you know that because you're an AT&T customer you will at some point get a discount when renewing your contract. You have to click "Upgrade eligibility" to actually see what your, um, eligibility is for an upgrade.

Thanks for taking the time to create this post astral, very helpful for all the folks that AT&T confused. Not cool!

And as far as the few of you that mentioned your upgrade went from 6/19 to 11/19 (or whatever) it's looking same for me, but with a different set of months. It extended an similar amount of time. Weird, and also bad.
In my case, it had previously said that I was not eligible for a discount at all on that first page. That first page, at one time, said I would have to wait till December to be upgrade eligible.

It then changed to what it is showing for these other folks, saying I was eligible with an $18 upgrade fee. And when I went further into my company's AT&T site, showed full discounts for a brief time on things like the iPhone 4 ($199 for a 16 GB) as well as the other Android phones.

And now, that first page says I am eligible with an $18 upgrade fee however I do not get the discounted pricing that was being shown not more than a month ago.

Basically, they are diicking around with some things in the system. At one point about a month ago I could order a 4 or an Infuse 4G or something else at the 'new customer' price. And now I can not.

This is why some people are confused/frustrated. I don't really care what it says for the moment, I care what it says when the phone is up for preorder. And if they tell me it's at the higher price point, I will simply make a few calls to customer service until I get the person that understands what I am saying.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
I feel like we would be able to call and complain to get our upgrade date moved up. Since it definitely isn't right or fair to randomly move others date up.

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
With AT&T, if your contract costs over $100 a month you get an upgrade every 12 months. We have a family plan and the phone number that has the voice and sms costs tacked onto it to equal over $100 a month will get an update every 12 months while the other 3 iPhones only get one every 18 months. It all depends how much you spend on your plan, its not random at all.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Surrylic said:
I think *639# is your correct day. The website is just weird and says I am eligible on one line (the one with the iP4 bought on launch day).

When I click on "Upgrade Eligibility" next to the paragraph that says I am ready for an upgrade, it opens a new page that says I am not eligible until 11/23/11.

I am not confused. I am full-upgrade- eligible every 12 months.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
With AT&T, if your contract costs over $100 a month you get an upgrade every 12 months. We have a family plan and the phone number that has the voice and sms costs tacked onto it to equal over $100 a month will get an update every 12 months while the other 3 iPhones only get one every 18 months. It all depends how much you spend on your plan, its not random at all.

ATT has now stopped giving those primary lines 12 month upgrades even if they use $99 or more on the primary line.

So this looks like the last time I can use the 12 month upgrade. After my upgrade even though I am primary line I will have to wait 20 momths regardless if I am primary or secondary lines.
"
03-24-2011, 05:20 AMant1pathy
AT&T is stopping the 12 month upgrades soon. Everyone is going to 20 month, regardless of rate plan. No mention either way of special ones for the iPhone, but it seems like they're cutting back on phone subsidies."

http://www.howardforums.com/printthread.php?t=1498766&pp=15&page=5

The Poster is an ATT employee.

Sorry folks the 12 month policy is over for us. Sucks. I upgrade June 2010. I have been eligible for full upgrade since June 2011. After my next upgrade I must wait 20 months.

"

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana

Oh okay. Seems like they'd make more money letting us upgrade yearly no matter what, I would definitely buy one a year.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Oh okay. Seems like they'd make more money letting us upgrade yearly no matter what, I would definitely buy one a year.

Nooo...

The first year they are mostly paying for the phone. They make their money in the second year of the contract.

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
"I upgrade June 2010. I have been eligible for full upgrade since June 2011. After my next upgrade I must wait 20 months."

Almost seems like if this is the case you should buy another iP4 now. Anyone that has an upgrade ready now could potentially have their date pushed back like everyone else.

If you buy a new iP4 (subsidized) and you already have one, then you could sell the brand new one now on ebay, and then sell your old one when the 5 drops and probably profit after buying the 5 for full non-contract price.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Site has changed 3 times in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Seems like ATT isn't that anxious to keep their customers.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
ATT has now stopped giving those primary lines 12 month upgrades even if they use $99 or more on the primary line.

So this looks like the last time I can use the 12 month upgrade. After my upgrade even though I am primary line I will have to wait 20 momths regardless if I am primary or secondary lines.
"
AT&T is stopping the 12 month upgrades soon. Everyone is going to 20 month, regardless of rate plan. No mention either way of special ones for the iPhone, but it seems like they're cutting back on phone subsidies."

Sorry folks the 12 month policy is over for us. Sucks. I upgrade June 2010. I have been eligible for full upgrade since June 2011. After my next upgrade I must wait 20 months.

"

Well I guess I should get rid of my unlimited voice and text. I'll probably save enough to make up the difference in six months. I rationalized paying more knowing that the bill would be the same each month and I'd get to upgrade sooner.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

aneftp said:

"

"

Oh come on. Just because you found it on the Internet, it must be true?

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
Anybody here like me who is not on contract with AT&T and has a iphone 4? What are you planning on doing? I bought mine on CL so I'm debating on selling the 4 and getting a 5. The only problem is that my 4 is JB but not UL since it's on 4.3.3 but I guess somebody can get a Gevey.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

Oh come on. Just because you found it on the Internet, it must be true?

No this is true now. The poster I quoted is an ATT employee over on Howard Forums.

Many people who recently upgraded their phones (Atrix etc other phones) have also reported that instead of getting the 12 month upgrade, now they must wait till 02/2013 for their upgrades.

So regardless if you have a primary line over $99 now (voice/data), ATT isn't going to be given those lines preferential 12 month upgrades.

So once you use up your currently eligible full upgrade, you will have to wait 20 months.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
For those you who don't believe me (That ATT is now making people wait at least 20 months before their next upgrade and getting rid of the 12 month upgrade for those $99 primary lines).

Here are some links. They basically are following Verizon's upgrade policy change that Verizon made back earlier this year.

http://www.androidcentral.com/veriz...de-policy-youll-have-wait-20-months-new-phone

Here's the official ATT upgrade 20 month policy link:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/upgrade-advantage.jsp

Here's a post over on howard forums with this 20 month upgrade cycle policy
http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-AT-amp-T-stopping-the-12-month-upgrade-cycle

Read this post about a guy who's has a $99 plus primary line and was shocked he can't get an upgrade till 02/2013 now.
http://www.atrixforums.com/forum/t-us/4842-no-upgrade-option-till-when.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.