Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Audio Processing Causing Heat and Performance Issues for Nehalem Mac Pros

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Ars Technica reports on growing complaints from users of Apple's Nehalem ("Early 2009") Mac Pro models regarding heat and performance issues when performing audio processing tasks.
The problem manifests as what has been described as excessive increases in power use and processor core heat when playing songs in iTunes, watching videos via Quicktime, or even when keeping USB or FireWire-based audio interfaces plugged in and active. While hardware monitors only report a small percentage of processor use, it can still cause performance decreases of up to 20 percent for other tasks.
The complaints had originated in our own forums last October and have grown to well over 1,000 posts in a single thread serving as a centralized discussion on the topic.

According to reports, the symptoms are present when running under either Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6, but absent when booted under Windows via Boot Camp. The glitch, which is reportedly highly reproducible, has been claimed to boost internal CPU temperatures by in excess of 30 degrees Celsius, while also dramatically increasing power consumption for what should be a relatively minor task.

Despite the thorough investigations by users into the situation, AppleCare representatives have been unwilling acknowledge that any issues exist, calling such temperature spikes normal and within design parameters for the machines. Users continue to be frustrated, however, by the performance hits their machines are experiencing and Apple's refusal to address the situation. Apple has yet to issue any statements regarding the issue.

Article Link: Audio Processing Causing Heat and Performance Issues for Nehalem Mac Pros

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wow I am so glad I got a 08 model.

Got a octo-core for a real good price.

These 09 ones have been way to much $$$. Glad to see they will replaced soon.

Comment

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
You forgot to ADD that a 18yr old MacRumors member has solved the issues in the "Mac Pro GREEN FACTOR" thread..... Apple clearly doesn't care, it seems like they'll suffer through the complaints and release the new Mac Pros that will remedy the issue..... I say Apple hires that 18yr old IMO

Comment

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
My Early 2009 iMac purchase is getting nicer and nicer the more I hear about all of these headaches I could've been having with the new 27-inch iMacs or the current Mac Pro.

Comment

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
what's wrong with apple.. their +2000€ MacPro has problems playing simple mp3s? wow... (this is not "anti-apple"... but still... WOW:eek:)

Comment

ActionJax

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Apple has been positively awful at preventing and correcting audio performance problems. It's embarrassing; OS updates cause problems then it takes them a year to fix them. Mac audio outputs suffer from nasty noise problems (not sure about latest models, I gave up trying). Anyone still saying that Macs are better for pro audio use is fooling him/herself, IMO.

Comment

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

Mine is a 08 model too. I hope to upgrade this year. I just hope, Apple will not charge an arm and a leg for the new models, but I know this is wishful thinking. :(

I also do agreed that the MacPro's have been plagued with many issues. In my case it was so bad that Apple replaced my old machine for a new one. Sometimes I wonder if the new iMac is a good deal, but unfortunately I like the fact the MacPro is so much expandable. That's nice.

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Quite lame for a computer that costs a fortune... The lamest part is that Apple says it's normal! Even my chinese car radio decodes MP3s without any problems!

Comment

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
what's wrong with apple.. their +2000€ MacPro has problems playing simple mp3s? wow... (this is not "anti-apple"... but still... WOW:eek:)

MP3's are a performance hog and a waste of resources.

HTML 5!!!!!!!!!

;)

Comment

loveturtle

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Florida
Apple constantly stiffs their customers and offers very little support on multi-thousand dollar workstations. What do you expect? Either accept it because you really like OS-X or use something else. They sure as hell aren't going to change any time soon. This will probably be silently fixed in six-twelve months and never acknowledged. Be glad it's not an issue on something more than 24 months old or else they would just hang you out to dry. They don't even offically support windows 7 on my Mac Pro...for no reason other than being too cheap to invest any time or money what so ever in out of warranty products.

Comment

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I have a Nehalem Mac Pro that I got it in August 2009. I don't know if that is considered "Early 2009." I use iTunes on a daily basis, and have recorded an album with Logic Pro. I have not checked internal CPU temperatures, or noticed any spikes in power consumption. Should I be concerned?

Comment

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
They are now mobile company and they do not give a crap for anything else

:D

On serious note...

I feel really sorry for all MP guys - spending so much money on such awesome machine and then have such issue without receiving any support from Apple must be painful :(

Saying all that, I had famous "black screen of death" with my MBP that lost me 7 days of work while it got fixed... Luckily Apple replaced logic board for free.

Meh... :s

Comment

djp2

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm...Snow Leopard glitches, the '09 iMacs with unresolved screen problems, and now this? Whatever happened to "it just works?"

Comment

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
At least you '09 users have 64bit kernel support with your EFI64. I have an original Mac Pro (which still runs awesomely) and it sadly only has 32bit EFI. I think that's pretty lame. I'm severely limited on graphics options because of this.

Comment

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
apple spends too many resources chasing $$$ with iPod, iPhone, iPad...

it's not apple computer anymore.

.....it's a$$le.....

I guess when steve said iCEO back in 2004, that should have been a sign of the iCEO loving only iPhones, iPods, iPads....... I pray they fix this with gulftown refresh

Comment

nigel1210

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
I have a Nehalem Mac Pro that I got it in August 2009. I don't know if that is considered "Early 2009." I use iTunes on a daily basis, and have recorded an album with Logic Pro. I have not checked internal CPU temperatures, or noticed any spikes in power consumption. Should I be concerned?

Yep it's classed as an early 2009, as this is when it was first released.

Comment

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
... the symptoms are present when running under either Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6, but absent when booted under Windows via Boot Camp ...

Let me guess... it's Flash's fault? lol

How pathetic for this to continue on into 2010 on 'the world's most advanced operating system.' What a joke. Alas, the defenders are on their way. However, I do give Apple credit for replacing my junky iMac due to the lack of QC exhibited last year.

I guess when steve said iCEO back in 2004, that should have been a sign of the iCEO loving only iPhones, iPods, iPads....... I pray they fix this with gulftown refresh

Unfortunately, this isn't new and was a concern of many forum members when the iPhone was first introduced.

Comment

ABG

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
United Kingdom
MP3's are a performance hog and a waste of resources.

HTML 5!!!!!!!!!

;)

+1

Just what I was thinking. :D

Flash doesn't work well on Macs = Flash is bad.
So - time to drop iTunes until the lazy programmers sort their stuff out?
As you say no one will miss it anyway if they use HTML5.

:mad::apple:

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
They are now mobile company and they do not give a crap for anything else

Hmmm...Snow Leopard glitches, the '09 iMacs with unresolved screen problems, and now this? Whatever happened to "it just works?"

I agree, Apple quality has really gone downhill. While pretty much every issue of Consumer Reports that reviews computer company tech support shows Apple's tech support is the best, why do people have to send in their Macs so often? I don't remember having so many problems back in the PowerPC days.

apple spends too many resources chasing $$$ with iPod, iPhone, iPad...

it's not apple computer anymore.

I agree. Apple even took "Computer" out of their official name. Everything Apple seems to do now seems to revolve around the iPhone & mobile devices. Their computers seem to so be on their back burner right now. I just fear that Mac OS X 10.7, XI, or whatever the next version of the OS is called (heaven help us if it's not even "Mac OS") is just a souped up iPhone OS. There are so many features I feel the full Mac OS X has that the iPhone version doesn't. While the iPhone is good, if not great, for what it does, it's not a full fledged computer OS IMO.

Comment

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY

Same here. Got mine for about $2k used in summer 2008, with upgraded RAM to boot. Virtually the same, in terms of processing power, for audio applications as the 2009.

When the new 2010's come out I'll basically have had a new-ish Mac Pro for 1.5 years~

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.