Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinhead117

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
There will be plenty of these $1000-1450 phones once the initial hype dies down. So unless you really have to show off next week just calm down!
Not getting the newest iPhone on release date is torture to all early adopters, obviously you don't understand their mindset, haha! I'm surprised at the lack of interest in the Gold color, they are still available on release day. The Midnight Green is not, so I guess it showed that a segment always want to show off the "latest and the greatest."

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Every year, the naysayers say that Apple is losing their edge. Can't compete. Can't make a worthwhile product.

Not "innovative" they say. "Not what Jobs would do," they say.

Every year...they are wrong.
I thought they were actually right for once this year.

Reactions: jjohnstonjr

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
For some reason I get all amped up and nervous right before pre orders go live. Can’t type right, fingers shake, etc. I look at it like a BIG competition to get a launch day device. I’ve camped out a few times back in the day (which was awesome-miss those days). I’ve stood in line, and I’ve gotten up at 3am multiple times. Luckily I’ve gotten every iPhone on launch except for the 3GS that I wasn’t too thrilled about and waited a week. But I love the excitement and stress of preordering. I picture thousands of other people all over the world staring at their screens hitting the refresh button over and over like their all at the starting line of a massive race. And then the gun goes off and it’s on. Wow, I just re-read this post and man, I am a real nerd. But hey, it’s fun.

You are talking to people who not only did all that, but came to post on a forum about it. We are *all* nerds. Nothing wrong with that!

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
I thought they were actually right for once this year.
they "almost" got everything right imo, the 11 is fine, being the budget phone theres alot of value, but $1000 phone in 2019 with only 64gb is a bit of a laugh. especially strong competitor like samsung offering s10e with 128gb fro 550 bucks

Pinhead117

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
You are talking to people who not only did all that, but came to post on a forum about it. We are *all* nerds. Nothing wrong with that!
Since I was a teenager I've been happily addicted to electronics. There are much worse and much more harmful addictions!

Reactions: MisterSavage

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
they "almost" got everything right imo, the 11 is fine, being the budget phone theres alot of value, but $1000 phone in 2019 with only 64gb is a bit of a laugh. especially strong competitor like samsung offering s10e with 128gb fro 550 bucks
The iPhone faces stronger competition from older generations of iPhones than from android phones. The main issue is existing iPhone users being happy with what they currently have and seeing little reason to upgrade, not android competitors offering seemingly better specs at lower prices.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
The iPhone faces stronger competition from older generations of iPhones than from android phones. The main issue is existing iPhone users being happy with what they currently have and seeing little reason to upgrade, not android competitors offering seemingly better specs at lower prices.
one doesn't exclude the other, its not an either or, apple face competition from older gen, and android phones, to write off competition from android is blind ignorance.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
There will be plenty of these $1000-1450 phones once the initial hype dies down. So unless you really have to show off next week just calm down!

Yes but some of us are on phones that are on their last leg and would really like to have a well functioning phone again and don’t want to us their old phone any longer than they have to. It’s why I’m upgrading my 6 finally.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
one doesn't exclude the other, its not an either or, apple face competition from older gen, and android phones, to write off competition from android is blind ignorance.
The impact of competition from android is also being vastly over-exaggerated here.

So what if the Samsung S10 or Note phone comes with more base storage, expandable storage, and / or more ram? There’s a big difference between being able to appreciate something else and that "something else" being different enough to warrant switching platforms. Add to the fact that for all intents and purposes, both platforms have more or less the same feature set, you’d have to "appreciate" some gizmo on some other platform a LOT for someone to go to the hassle of switching platforms, especially since you know that Google or Apple is going to copy that feature and bring it to your platform eventually.

All these comparisons also ignore the stickiness of the apple ecosystem, and it doesn't take a genius to see what Apple is doing to make their users even more deeply entrenched, with platform-only features like the Apple Watch, Apple Card, Apple Arcade, the rumoured bluetooth trackers, family sharing, iMessage and airdrop.

Not to mention that other platforms have their own share of issues. The Pixel 3, for example, may take better low light photos… when you can get the app to run. Its slow launch times are a matter of record, as are its issues with memory management. Video recording is apparently a mess as well.

The Galaxy S10 has reported problems with 4G LTE internet speeds, freezing, the fingerprint scanner, and more troubling for a phone: dropped calls.

The spectre of people defecting to a different phone each year based on a minutely better DxoMark score or some marginally paper spec better is absurd.

Paul6s

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
That sucks! I had the same problem, I just deleted my secondary phone number as that was what was holding my order up.
[doublepost=1568460183][/doublepost]
Got my in-store pickup same phone, for 10:00!!! Super geeked!
Friday cannot come soon enough! Lol

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
The impact of competition from android is also being vastly over-exaggerated here.

So what if the Samsung S10 or Note phone comes with more base storage, expandable storage, and / or more ram? There’s a big difference between being able to appreciate something else and that "something else" being different enough to warrant switching platforms. Add to the fact that for all intents and purposes, both platforms have more or less the same feature set, you’d have to "appreciate" some gizmo on some other platform a LOT for someone to go to the hassle of switching platforms, especially since you know that Google or Apple is going to copy that feature and bring it to your platform eventually.

All these comparisons also ignore the stickiness of the apple ecosystem, and it doesn't take a genius to see what Apple is doing to make their users even more deeply entrenched, with platform-only features like the Apple Watch, Apple Card, Apple Arcade, the rumoured bluetooth trackers, family sharing, iMessage and airdrop.

Not to mention that other platforms have their own share of issues. The Pixel 3, for example, may take better low light photos… when you can get the app to run. Its slow launch times are a matter of record, as are its issues with memory management. Video recording is apparently a mess as well.

The Galaxy S10 has reported problems with 4G LTE internet speeds, freezing, the fingerprint scanner, and more troubling for a phone: dropped calls.

The spectre of people defecting to a different phone each year based on a minutely better DxoMark score or some marginally paper spec better is absurd.
ok, and? apple still feel the need to compete against the likes of samsung, didn't tim apple told donny trump apple cannot be hit by tariffs since that would give samsung an advantage? if your right, with your statement, tim apple should not be worried about samsung being a main competitor since no one would switch to samsung right?

every phone has its share of problems, the iphone couldn't take a night photo for its life up until now, every other time i open a app it has to reload, intel radio chip inside iphone dropping coverage where i previously had coverage with my qualcomm iphone. the list goes on, but the point is no phone is perfect.

you are exaggerating the stickiness of the apple ecosystem, not everyone has apple watch, not everyone is tied up to the apple eco system, and it doesn't take a genius to see folks switching to android when android offers more or less the same features. for everything apple, there is a equivalent, apple music = spotify, apple news = google news, apple tv+ = netflix, amazon, hulu, hbo go, disney+. apple card = a dozen of other credit cards that offers more cashback and better interest rates. apple arcade = bunch of crappy games lump together, all the good games are cross platform anyway.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
My friend in China said JD.com (huge mobile site in China) is reporting a 480% increase in sales for the iPhone Pro versus the XS last year.

iPhone 11 is also selling out, especially new colors.

Reactions: Abazigal

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
...you are exaggerating the stickiness of the apple ecosystem, not everyone has apple watch, not everyone is tied up to the apple eco system, and it doesn't take a genius to see folks switching to android when android offers more or less the same features. for everything apple, there is a equivalent, apple music = spotify, apple news = google news, apple tv+ = netflix, amazon, hulu, hbo go, disney+. apple card = a dozen of other credit cards that offers more cashback and better interest rates. apple arcade = bunch of crappy games lump together, all the good games are cross platform anyway.
“Tim Apple”:rolleyes: you underestimate the stickiness of the Apple system. And it doesn’t take a genius to see the android grass isn’t greener. But you choose what you want.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
ok, and? apple still feel the need to compete against the likes of samsung, didn't tim apple told donny trump apple cannot be hit by tariffs since that would give samsung an advantage? if your right, with your statement, tim apple should not be worried about samsung being a main competitor since no one would switch to samsung right?

You seriously can't tell that Tim Cook is simply pandering to Trump's vanity to try and dissuade him from applying his tariffs to Apple products, which would affect Apple's profitability?

Here's what (I believe) is happening on the ground.

Phones are quickly becoming good enough, resulting in more people opting to hold on to their phones for longer periods of time. Despite fewer iPhones being sold every year, the iPhone installed base continues to grow via the 2nd-hand market. This is possible through a number of channels, such as Apple's annual upgrade program, as well as their trade-in program which helps to offset the price of a newer iPhone. This is helped by iPhones generally retaining their resale value better, the long-term software support that iOS devices enjoy, and Apple's ability to properly refurbish 2nd-hand iPhones before reselling them in the grey market.

What this also means is that if the newest iPhone on the market isn't compelling enough, existing iPhone users will likely simply elect to hold on to their iPhones longer. Sure, there will be those who eventually choose to switch to android phones, but not in any meaningful quantity that would cause Apple execs sleepless nights. While there is no doubt alternatives to existing apple services on the android side, it may not be so easily to transition all over at one short, especially if there really isn't any benefit in doing so. So if you tell me that in order to switch from an iPhone to a Note 10, I need to repurchase all my apps again (and some don't even have android equivalents), lose imessage and airdrop, sell my Apple Watch etc, how many will just say "screw it, I am sticking with my iPhone for another year?"

Meanwhile, Apple is transitioning from selling iPhones, to selling to people with iPhones. We see it in their focus on wearables (Apple Watch, rumoured AR headset), more accessories (AirPods, rumoured bluetooth tracker), higher prices and more services. Heck, the Apple Card likely earns Apple a higher cut than their 0.15% commission from Apple Pay. So Apple doesn't need you to keep buying iPhones; they just need you to keep using them.

When you want to analyse iPhone sales, you need to do so within the context of what Apple is doing as a company in totality, otherwise you will miss the big picture every time.

In a way, I kinda feel sorry for Samsung. They are being squeezed from both ends. They are losing out to cheaper android handsets from Chinese OEMs, and cannot loosen the tight grip that Apple has on the more premium end of the market. But such is the fate of one who has the temerity to call themselves an iPhone killer, I suppose. :cool:

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
“Tim Apple”:rolleyes: you underestimate the stickiness of the Apple system. And it doesn’t take a genius to see the android grass isn’t greener. But you choose what you want.
Different folks different strokes, apple have 55 percent market share in the us, to NOT consider android as a competitor is truly some ignorance as blessing type of stuff lol

Android has its fair share of problem but we apple user have our shares, like paying 1000 bucks for 64gb base and be stuck with the crappy intel modem, but hey you do what you want

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Different folks different strokes, apple have 55 percent market share in the us, to NOT consider android as a competitor is truly some ignorance as blessing type of stuff lol

Android has its fair share of problem but we apple user have our shares, like paying 1000 bucks for 64gb base and be stuck with the crappy intel modem, but hey you do what you want

The price is the biggest stickler. It’s why I held on to my 6 until it died. As well as the tech for phones are slowing and you can’t subsidize phones anymore. There is nothing out there that would convince me I need to pay 700 to replace my phone other than my phone dieing. Which is exactly what happened which is why I’m updating from my 6. If it still worked I probably would just stick with it still. And I’m hoping to hold on to this pro until it does. And having to change ecosystems is a big reason why I just don’t buy a cheaper android. Plus my phone plays nicely with my iPad and macbook and iMessage when most my friends have iPhones. I’d probably buy a used iPhone anyways over android if I couldn’t pay the super expensive price. If nothing else privacy matters and google already gets enough of my info without me having using a phone with their os. At least they aren’t Facebook but I still don’t want to let them get info on everything (after all google is very good at combining info to get a very good picture of you).

Reactions: ilikewhey

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Market share does nothing for an android manufacturer...market share benefits google. Nobody said the phones weren't in competition, but choosing one platform over another is not black and white as you alluded to. To me that shows ignorance with respect to the mobile phone market.

Neither platform is perfect, agreed. But I think we tend to pick the platform that offers the most benefits with the least compromises.

There's nothing wrong with the intel platform (imo)and if you want the iphone you pay the price. But some other models from other android manufacturers in the same price range...and how are they selling compared to phones?. But as you say we do what we want.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
You seriously can't tell that Tim Cook is simply pandering to Trump's vanity to try and dissuade him from applying his tariffs to Apple products, which would affect Apple's profitability?

Here's what (I believe) is happening on the ground.

Phones are quickly becoming good enough, resulting in more people opting to hold on to their phones for longer periods of time. Despite fewer iPhones being sold every year, the iPhone installed base continues to grow via the 2nd-hand market. This is possible through a number of channels, such as Apple's annual upgrade program, as well as their trade-in program which helps to offset the price of a newer iPhone. This is helped by iPhones generally retaining their resale value better, the long-term software support that iOS devices enjoy, and Apple's ability to properly refurbish 2nd-hand iPhones before reselling them in the grey market.

What this also means is that if the newest iPhone on the market isn't compelling enough, existing iPhone users will likely simply elect to hold on to their iPhones longer. Sure, there will be those who eventually choose to switch to android phones, but not in any meaningful quantity that would cause Apple execs sleepless nights. While there is no doubt alternatives to existing apple services on the android side, it may not be so easily to transition all over at one short, especially if there really isn't any benefit in doing so. So if you tell me that in order to switch from an iPhone to a Note 10, I need to repurchase all my apps again (and some don't even have android equivalents), lose imessage and airdrop, sell my Apple Watch etc, how many will just say "screw it, I am sticking with my iPhone for another year?"

Meanwhile, Apple is transitioning from selling iPhones, to selling to people with iPhones. We see it in their focus on wearables (Apple Watch, rumoured AR headset), more accessories (AirPods, rumoured bluetooth tracker), higher prices and more services. Heck, the Apple Card likely earns Apple a higher cut than their 0.15% commission from Apple Pay. So Apple doesn't need you to keep buying iPhones; they just need you to keep using them.

When you want to analyse iPhone sales, you need to do so within the context of what Apple is doing as a company in totality, otherwise you will miss the big picture every time.

In a way, I kinda feel sorry for Samsung. They are being squeezed from both ends. They are losing out to cheaper android handsets from Chinese OEMs, and cannot loosen the tight grip that Apple has on the more premium end of the market. But such is the fate of one who has the temerity to call themselves an iPhone killer, I suppose. :cool:

you might have difficulty transitioning since your so tied up in apple eco like me, but i have seen folks who made the decision to switch to note 10 or s10 right on the spot. there are alot of folks who are not tied to like us. its unfair for you to assume otherwise. there is a thread on here detailing folks jumping ship, i suggest you check it out. ofcourse there are always these who jumps back, i would know since i'm one of them. but its not as exaggerated as you make it to be from switching to android. i helped my gf switch from her iphone 7 to s10 5g. samsung has a dedicated app to make the effort pretty seamless, all her social media app exist on android, all her messages port over just fine, also her photos, ringtones, calender, etc. only now she has 5g since there is a 5g tower near her building.

the big picture is apple knows its getting harder and harder to keep up the margin for phone sales like in the past, for a number of reasons, against android competition, market stagnating from lack of upgrades, higher price, lack of carrier incentives. all these reasons lead to no longer reliable for apple to bet all their chips in one product. apple is now casting a wide net with arcade, streaming, music, news, credit card, in order to diversify itself in case another lackbustering iphone sale. some makes sense, some doesn't, news+ sucks, homepod is utterly useless with siri misunderstanding me half of the time(i do have a slight brit accent from studying abroad so not 100% siri fault)

ha, samsung doesn't need your sympathy mate, they still the number 1 phone manu. they might and are losing margins but just like big banks, they are too big to fail, not with the south korean gov't backing them.

also a bit of disclaimer
i don't have blind brand loyalty, if samsung sucks in certain area i'll call them out on it, same goes for apple, lg, etc.

Last edited:

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Really? Are you looking at it with a color-accurate display like an iPhone/iMac/iPad?

Because to me, it’s nowhere near a split pea soup color, it’s more of a blue green, closer to a forest green or deep green. It has quite a bit of blue as opposed to the yellow of split pea; it’s a rather muted (desaturated) metallic.

To me green is green. Not my favorite color. Unfortunately I have a car that color, not by choice.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Market share does nothing for an android manufacturer...market share benefits google. Nobody said the phones weren't in competition, but choosing one platform over another is not black and white as you alluded to. To me that shows ignorance with respect to the mobile phone market.

Neither platform is perfect, agreed. But I think we tend to pick the platform that offers the most benefits with the least compromises.

There's nothing wrong with the intel platform (imo)and if you want the iphone you pay the price. But some other models from other android manufacturers in the same price range...and how are they selling compared to phones?. But as you say we do what we want.
me:
"one doesn't exclude the other, its not an either or, apple face competition from older gen, and android phones, to write off competition from android is blind ignorance."

Abazigal:
"The impact of competition from android is also being vastly over-exaggerated here."

he claim i exaggerated android competition, meanwhile all i said its both old iphone refuse to upgrade and more competition from android.

i wouldn't know how they are selling, i don't buy them, but based on numbers of phone shipped index, apple dropping from 2nd to 3rd doesn't sound too good, ofcourse you and others could simply cherry pick info on what works for you and what doesn't. so i'm not a convent to convert anyone

edit" iphone 11 still use the same intel radio chip as last gen, the same radio chip that made me drop coverage at my office, receiving important email literally 4 hours later. missed text message, suffice to say i got a good unofficial reprement because of the poor coverage from my previous intel iphone. the problem only started when i went from my verizon iphone x to Xr, suffice to say almost 2 weeks later i returned it and got my x back.

Last edited:

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
My friend in China said JD.com (huge mobile site in China) is reporting a 480% increase in sales for the iPhone Pro versus the XS last year.

iPhone 11 is also selling out, especially new colors.
Complete opposite situation in Canada. A lot of stock of the iPhone 11 still available to ship September 20th.
[doublepost=1568479513][/doublepost]

No one is sticking a gun to your head to pay the $1000. You could always buy the $699 iPhone 11 or put your money where your mouth is by buying an Android phone. Best way to send a message to any company is vote with your wallet.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Complete opposite situation in Canada. A lot of stock of the iPhone 11 still available to ship September 20th.
[doublepost=1568479513][/doublepost]
No one is sticking a gun to your head to pay the $1000. You could always buy the $699 iPhone 11 or put your money where your mouth is by buying an Android phone. Best way to send a message to any company is vote with your wallet.
Money already at where my mouth is, I’m sticking to my x til apple switch to Qualcomm next year, I’ll never shell out 1k for 64gb phone, does that disqualify me from making valid criticism?

Reactions: smulji
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.