Awful battery life on 2018 MBP: am I alone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Reasonable One, May 21, 2019.

1. The Reasonable One macrumors regular

The Reasonable One

hey like the tile says I am getting horrible battery life out of my 2018 MBP and have since if got it. I thought it was all of that years models being defective but after talking to people that’s not true.

Anyway I need more specific data. How long do all of you programmers who use Xcode or IntelliJ get on battery and also when just web browsing?

I’m trying to diagnose if this is just my computer or not since I am getting 2.5-3 hrs IntelliJ/Xcode and 6 hrs max with just web browsing. I have the i9 32 gb highest gpu for mid 2018 model ( I think 560X ).

Thanks in advance. I need this data so I can go to Apple and call them on their usual bs when it passes their “tests” that all of us who’ve had issues know are bs.

Ps they’ve already reflashed my OS and issue persists so it’s not that I have a virus or something like that unless it’s a really scary virus ;)

2. jandrso macrumors newbie

jandrso

Any external peripherals? TB monitors? External disks? TB dongles? With all of those items connected I have found to crush my battery life. I would get like 4.5 - 5hours. Mind you this is literally a 1week old MBP 15. I7 16gb.

Undongled (is that a word) internet browsing, Ms Outlook running and other sundry processes like terminal RDP with open sessions..... I get a little over 11 hours give or take.

The more video intensive web content seems to drain it faster.

3. The Reasonable One thread starter macrumors regular

The Reasonable One

Wow. Cuz I have nothing plugged in at all. And it’s still awful. Not even Bluetooth peripherals, headphones (wired or Bluetooth) or anything. So I’m now absolutely pissed. Just got a spot at Apple store for 5:10 so let’s see what happens

4. jandrso macrumors newbie

jandrso

How old is the MBP and what rev of OS? I would go to the latest .5 release of Mojave because they will suggest it as a solution. Definitely Genius Bar material. Only difference is the i9 and ram number between our machines. Could be a GPU issue as well. This should explain that much battery drain. Perhaps a wonky application process. They will make it right.

I would expect this will be more than one visit as they tweak here and there and review results after.

Unless the battery is trashed which happens too.

5. Thysanoptera macrumors 6502a

Get some monitoring app, like iStatMenus (preferably the non-sandboxed version from outside of Apple store) and see what is the power usage of CPU/GPU and system total - check first if the numbers add up when compared to battery capacity. If the battery is ok check if you don't have anything running on dGPU. And, obviously, use Activity Monitor to see which processes use the most CPU time.

Like watching this very thread in Safari, doing nothing, my CPU uses less than 1W (core, package is higher because of iGPU) and with brightness at 50% system total is below 5W, so I could be watching it for 19 hours (7.3 Ah battery x 13V), although the battery indicator shows only 15 hours.

6. The Reasonable One thread starter macrumors regular

The Reasonable One

Mid 2018 model and got it at release since my old Mac broke 2 months prior. RIP 2012. It was sitting with no apps open and idle in the Apple store and lost 7% in 20 min. So approx 5 hours idle expected which is ridiculous. Also at the west valley Apple store I hope you don’t get the guy I got EVER. Had to ask for the manager after he told me that it’s normal for the battery percentage to jump to a higher number randomly (+7%). He was confusing time remaining and percentage and I was livid. He also treated me like I’m a f’ing idiot and not a programmer who actually understands the tool he uses for school and internships. He also said and I quote “I know you have a strange attachment to your 2012 machine but this is a different machine”. Like wtf it’s a 2018, it damn better be better than my base model 2012 when it has been fully speced. All I asked them for is for my computer to get 5-6 hrs on battery and that’s it. Not even the advertised 10. Manager agreed and sentencing to depot.

Thanks for gettinge to show them the issue. Your input pushed me over the edge needed to take it in.
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2019 ---
    Sad part is in the Apple store I lost 7% in 20 min idle. And the genius manager saw it thankfully so he understood.
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2019 ---
    Yah idk. It’s just so frustrating. Sent it to the depot after literally the worst genius imaginable tried to f me over and I called manager over. Anyway. Glad it might work out.

7. MrInquestador macrumors regular

MrInquestador