Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
The BassJump-subwoofer is one of my favorite and most used gadgets for all kind of intel-MacBooks.
It's driver-software basicly combines internal speakers with the USB-subwoofer.
Sitting in front of a MacBookPro gives you a nice stereo-audio experience with that combination of internal speakers plus subwoofer.
And the BassJump is easy to attach with no need for extra power-supply.

Tonight I've tried to create a combined audio-device on my PowerBook, but I couldn't get internal speakers work together with the USB-attached BassJump.
Since the BassJump alone did even sound better than the inbuild speakers of the PowerBook (pretty much like a normal speaker, after I started to fiddle with the iTunes-Equalizer) it's now an easy to attach external (mono) speaker for the PowerBook too.

Maybe anyone could help to find out, how to combine the BassJump with the internal speakers to get some extra kind of stereo ?

BassJump.JPG

BassJumped.png

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
This sounds like a good device to use for a G4 cube for those who are in need of an audio device for one

Good point!
Made me go for a try on my Clamshell/os9.
And voilà! BassJump does work with os9 too - simply by Plug&Play! :rolleyes:
Sound is not too bad - at least for my old and distressed ears ...
OK, Soundsticks are a better and more stylish - but BassJump is my favorite for a lot of occasions, because it needs only one USB-cable to get the whole thing running.
Finally a nice option for all kind of PPC.
Got my bunch of BassJumps 2nd hand for about 20-30 bucks each - but that's 1-2y ago ...

65902319-06A7-4932-8AF4-8A1AC1FBCC65.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: B S Magnet

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
It seems creating a multi-output device (what you want) requires a newer version of Mac OS X.

However, here's an idea since you have Airfoil: Launch both Airfoil and Airfoil Satellite on your PowerBook, and have Satellite receive audio from Airfoil. Then, in Airfoil's Preferences, set "Play Computer Audio Through: Built-in Speakers" and in Satellite's Preferences, set "Local Playback Through: BassJump". This basically creates a sort of loopback connection.

airfoil.png

As a disclaimer, I'll say that this doesn't work for me on El Capitan and there might be an audible delay between the two sources (which you don't want when both are close to each other) as there is when I have Airfoil stream audio to Satellite via Wi-Fi.

Alternatively, http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wta/ may be worth a look as it can combine several inputs to one output - maybe it also works the other way round.

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
It seems creating a multi-output device (what you want) requires a newer version of Mac OS X.

However, here's an idea since you have Airfoil: Launch both Airfoil and Airfoil Satellite on your PowerBook, and have Satellite receive audio from Airfoil. Then, in Airfoil's Preferences, set "Play Computer Audio Through: Built-in Speakers" and in Satellite's Preferences, set "Local Playback Through: BassJump". This basically creates a sort of loopback connection.

View attachment 835470

As a disclaimer, I'll say that this doesn't work for me on El Capitan and there might be an audible delay between the two sources (which you don't want when both are close to each other) as there is when I have Airfoil stream audio to Satellite via Wi-Fi.

Alternatively, http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wta/ may be worth a look as it can combine several inputs to one output - maybe it also works the other way round.

Ah, the Airfoil-way in general is just the way I like to tinker with :rolleyes:, but if/since creation of a "multi-output-device" isn't possible I'm pretty fine now to use the BassJump as a stand-alone speaker. It's not just a subwoofer but a full range speaker and only needs iTunes Equalizer to adapt settings on a PPC both with OS X and os9.
(A pity they became pretty rare/expensive recently, but I'd always go for one, if there's an occasion ...)
That ambrosia-thing is definitely something I'm going to give a chance of a test-drive ... Thanks!

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...wo-sound-output-devices.907388/#post-12303897 has another solution.

Soundflower 1.4.3 (last for PPC): https://storage.googleapis.com/goog....google.com/soundflower/Soundflower-1.4.3.dmg

Soundflower creates a virtual audio device you tell OS X to output audio to, and then you use two copies of LineIn running simultaneously – one of them routes Soundflower to the internal speakers, the other routes it to the BassJump. This works because Soundflower shows up as an input device which LineIn happily attaches to.

Reactions: bobesch and bjar

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...wo-sound-output-devices.907388/#post-12303897 has another solution.

Soundflower 1.4.3 (last for PPC): https://storage.googleapis.com/goog....google.com/soundflower/Soundflower-1.4.3.dmg

Soundflower creates a virtual audio device you tell OS X to output audio to, and then you use two copies of LineIn running simultaneously – one of them routes Soundflower to the internal speakers, the other routes it to the BassJump. This works because Soundflower shows up as an input device which LineIn happily attaches to.

Gorgeous, works like a charm - YMMD!
Here's a screenshot, that gives an overview about all settings.
Basically it's the solution to combine all sort of speakers that share the same audio-card.
(though it doesn't come close to the BassJump-experiance on intel-books)
Many thanks!!!

Soundflower-LineIn-Magic.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Many many thanks - merits go to @eyoungren, who found out all about the secrets of BassJump and PowerPC !!!

This is good news about BassJump with positive PrefsPane-Settings on a G4/G5.
Does work on my 15" 1.67GHz PB-G4 DLSD. Does work on his PM-G5.
Does not work on my iBookG3-Snow/Tiger. (Don't know, how it works on machines between latest G3 and latest G4...)
That BassJump-PrefPane/AudioDriver-Installation has a really sophisticated and much better audio-experience compared to the SoundFlower/(Double)LineIn-Setting.
Very close to the unique BassJump/MacBookPro-experience!
But "BassJump Sound System" is kind of fragile, when it comes to multitasking and heavy processing loads on a G4 (because of that TwelveSouth might have restricted it to intel-Macs only).

Be warned! - Single use and experience might be addictive!

And it's just Plug&Play with a single USB-cable ...

BassJump PrefPane on Leopard.JPG
BassJump On PowerBook-G4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Many many thanks - merits go to @eyoungren, who found out all about the secrets of BassJump and PowerPC !!!

Does not work on my iBookG3-Snow/Tiger. (Don't know, how it works on machines between latest G3 and latest G4...)
That BassJump-PrefPane/AudioDriver-Installation has a really sophisticated and much better audio-experience compared to the SoundFlower/(Double)LineIn-Setting.
But "BassJump Sound System" is kind of fragile, when it comes to multitasking and heavy processing loads on a G4 (because of that TwelveSouth might have restricted it to intel-Macs only).

View attachment 854695
View attachment 854696

What thread was this discussed, i’m having trouble locating it here but would love to read how he got this working under Leopard on PPC? Also, where was the driver downloaded from for PPC?

Thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What thread was this discussed, i’m having trouble locating it here but would love to read how he got this working under Leopard on PPC? Also, where was the driver downloaded from for PPC?

Thanks!

It was discussed in this thread. I'd totally forgotten about it.

I got one of these earlier this week and decided I'd try it on PowerPC. It works and is recognized but they do not have the Prefpane on their website for PowerPC.

So, I looked it up using the Internet Wayback Machine. It's on my Dropbox if you want it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/328i71o88cal861/BassJump.dmg?dl=0

Reactions: bobesch

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

View attachment 854695
View attachment 854696
Try using the Line In setup (and Soundflower) to direct one of the audio sources to the BassJump Sound System. That goes through the LineOut (or Built in Internal speakers) which is what the BassJump Sound System is controlling. Redirect the other source to the BassJump Core.

;)

System Preferences.png

Last edited:

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
It was discussed in this thread. I'd totally forgotten about it.

I got one of these earlier this week and decided I'd try it on PowerPC. It works and is recognized but they do not have the Prefpane on their website for PowerPC.

So, I looked it up using the Internet Wayback Machine. It's on my Dropbox if you want it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/328i71o88cal861/BassJump.dmg?dl=0

Thanks so much for the reply. I went ahead and downloaded the software to my dropbox and will try and find one of these speakers, they sound pretty cool.

:)

Reactions: eyoungren

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Try using the Line In setup (and Soundflower) to direct one of the audio sources to the BassJump Sound System. That goes through the LineOut (or Built in Internal speakers) which is what the BassJump Sound System is controlling. Redirect the other source to the BassJump Core. ;)
View attachment 854710
Guess what? Actually no Soundflower/LineIn necessary! :) After installing the early BassJump PrefPane onto my PowerBook/Leopard it works exactly like on intel-MacBook with synchronous sound-out from both internal speakers and BassJump.

The BassJump-PrefsPane seems to use some computing-power to adapt and synchronize internal speaker and subwoofer (Volume of the subwoofer/CrossOver Frequency) and it has a really sophisticated fine-tuning.
But on running some more intensive multitasking operations (e.g.browsing), makes the PB-G4's sound crack and stutter from time to time.
The SoundFlower To 2xLineIn (InternalSpeakers/BassJumps) is much more stable but needs to fire up the equalizer within iTunes for better sound-adjustment (which unfortunately doesn't come close to the BassJump software). This is also the only working solution for Tiger.

BTW here's the wayback-machine early BassJump-Driver-Link too:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100729170249/http://twelvesouth.com/bassjump/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.