Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Yes, I was...i’ll provide a screen shot here tomorrow. Right now it’s charging.

My usage is a mixture of Web surfing, music, email and 1/2 brightness. I don’t know why people are only getting 6 hrs or less on theirs...are they running brightness full blast?
the brightness makes huge difference!!!

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
You are adding confusion here. When we talk about usage, we mean the posted usage on the phone’s battery statistics regardless of use..and that includes music. It’s part of the usage of the phone.

Why turn off Wifi, LTE, etc. And not use the phone as intended...just to get actual usage statistics, you say? Nope... you have to have them on, use the phone, and yes listen to music and monitor the battery stats in Settings. That’s the correct way...no confusion, no mix-up.

I don't think you understand and that's probably why you think the X has amazing battery life also... I'm saying I literally turned off everything that made the phone work as intended and I still couldn't get anywhere near the times people are claiming they get on these forums.

How can one group of people say they barely get 7-8 hours of use, and another group claim to be getting 12+ hours? It's not possible unless:

1) iOS has a bug which is counting usage times even when the phone is sleeping

2) Apple quality control is **** and people are getting really really bad hardware

3) people are lying, or using music to artificially increase their usage times.

Judging from what I witnessed myself with my X along with all the battery test I've seen, the X only get 7-8 hours of actual screen on use of the device.

Reactions: Redneck1089

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I don't think you understand and that's probably why you think the X has amazing battery life also... I'm saying I literally turned off everything that made the phone work as intended and I still couldn't get anywhere near the times people are claiming they get on these forums.

How can one group of people say they barely get 7-8 hours of use, and another group claim to be getting 12+ hours? It's not possible unless:

1) iOS has a bug which is counting usage times even when the phone is sleeping

2) Apple quality control is **** and people are getting really really bad hardware

3) people are lying, or using music to artificially increase their usage times.

Judging from what I witnessed myself with my X along with all the battery test I've seen, the X only get 7-8 hours of actual screen on use of the device.

Believe the statistics or not as you wish. If there’s a bug, I am not aware of it. My phone posted usage the first night I left it alone...the second night the usage count didn’t move until I actually used it. I am attributing the first overnight usage to indexing and the like because it was a brand new phone.

If you like to discount music listening from the usage statistics then we’re talking about 2 different things and there’s no sense defending one’s self on this thread.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You do not get 12+ hours of usage time in the battery stats on the X. It's impossible unless you are listening to audio which is artificially increasing the number.
Nope

I got 13 hours yesterday usage time and not got below 10 hours since i got the x.

just admit the x gives people great battery life not much difference from the 8 plus at all.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'm an ex 7+ user and I'm blown away by the X's battery. Normally I'm right around 55-60% come 2 pm when I go to lunch, same usage everyday during the work week for me. With the X, I'm regularly at 80-85% come lunch time and that is just astounding and my phone usage habits have not changed one bit either. The battery is leagues better than the 7+ for me at least.

Is it the exact same apps?

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Nope

I got 13 hours yesterday usage time and not got below 10 hours since i got the x.

just admit the x gives people great battery life not much difference from the 8 plus at all.

Agreed! X batter life is awesome, after all, there is a reason the X cost more.... just a better phone for most.... it was hard for me to give my 7 plus up, but once i did , wow whole new world...

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Nope

You got 13 hours usage ? Can i ask what you do on your phone ? Use 4G?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You got 13 hours usage ? Can i ask what you do on your phone ? Use 4G?
was half and half. If anything it was more impressive as 4G uses more of your battery than wifi.

Only about 40 mins was audio as well.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
My standby time is absolutely spanking my old Pixel XL. My typical phone usage is the same, but at 5pm I'm at 84% battery... whereas on my Pixel I'd be under 50% by now. I've not had a chance to test "HIGH" usage yet as I've been stuck in meetings all week not really playing with the phone intensely.... like I said, just "normal" usage thus far.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014

Ahh now I see. Yeah I could achieve that also , apps used are 1% :)

Though with my actual usuage which is mainly safari, that's an unrealistic usage time.

Exactly, you barely used it if your messages are at 1% that means all day long you didn't even open messages. I'd love to see the top part of that screen which shows music at 70% of the battery. Like I said, people showing ridiculous times like this are lying lol

The iPhone X is rated by Apple to get about 2 more hours than the iPhone 7 which is rated to get about the same time as the iPhone 6S which in real world use will only get about 5-6 hours of usage (NOT MUSIC PLAYBACK) therefore the X will get 7-8 hours of use plain and simple.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ahh now I see. Yeah I could achieve that also , apps used are 1% :)

Though with my actual usuage which is mainly safari, that's an unrealistic usage time.
Thats only the lower amount though. The higher end was

home screen 17%
tapatalk 7%
messenger 7%

Music only used 3%

twitter 4%
Instagram 3%
app store 5%
bleacher report 4%
mail 3%

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Thats only the lower amount though. The higher end was

home screen 17%
tapatalk 7%
messenger 7%

Ahh I see , cheers. If you used safari during the day, your usage will plummet :p

That is what kills my battery

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
And post a video recording of your entire battery stat page. Guaranteed you didn't actually use it for 6 hours.

Sorry but stats don’t lie

Think you need to realise the x is a power house when it comes to battery life

c78e3b2023d3fd77fea3b101aabecf9d.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.