Belkin Halts Sales of 'InvisiGlass Ultra' Screen Protector for iPhone X Following Widespread Customer Complaints

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 22, 2017.

1. capandjudy macrumors member

capandjudy

I've always had good experiences with Zagg shields both plastic in the old days and tempered glass the past several. To me it is worth the $8 to have Best Buy do the installation. If it is not right Geek Squad will just grab another until it done to my liking.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Had mine installed at the Apple Store when I picked up my phone. They used their machine and the installation is nanometer flawless. Only had the phone about two weeks now, so no cracks or chips in the screen protector yet.

No longer have the screen protector receipt, of course (one of the few times I just took a paper receipt and not an email), so no idea if I could get a free replacement should things go that way. Guess we’ll see...

3. SDColorado macrumors 68000

SDColorado

I don’t know about that. I have had mine about 6 weeks now and hardly gentle with the phone. I think some break and some don’t. So far so good with mine.

I will replace it with something else when/if it breaks. Maybe a Tech21 anti glare

4. hiroden macrumors regular

I got mine installed at apple store as well. No cracks yet. I wonder if it is a quality control issue.

5. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Never put a film/glass on my phone, been using the iPhone since 2007... never an issue. I put films on my Sony digicam and Nintendo Switch, because they ship those products with crappy plastic screens.

6. cereed09 macrumors newbie

cereed09

I have an iPhone X and first tried a Zagg screen protector (glass). It was crooked and bubbled and I hated it. It was my second Zagg product to look miserable. I then went to the Apple store and had the Belkin Invisiglass put on and I love it. Almost a month and a half with zero issues and it still looks perfect. I also use an Apple leather or silicone phone case depending on the day so maybe that’s why I haven’t had an issue (no direct contact to the edges of the glass protector). I had done a plastic Belkin protector from Apple last year on my iP7+ but it started to stretch, move, and scratch within a month so I took it off but couldn’t be happier with the invisiglass.

7. coolfactor macrumors 68040

I have no idea what the point of a screen protector is these days when the screen glass itself is so hard.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I hope Belkin reaches out to those who experienced apparent product defect woes and makes things right for the customer. I have had my Invisiglass installed since launch day and still rocking along. Good to know that Belkin is working on a better screen protector.

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

What veiled shot are you taking?

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Hmmm, I have it and no cracks yet. Pretty happy about it.

11. blcamp macrumors member

blcamp

I'm done with buying Belkin products. Nothing I've bought from them seems to last more than a few months. The car USB cigarette lighter adapter & Lightning cable combo I bought 2 years ago, the cable lasted only a month, the adapter is dying, even with only intermittent use. A wall outlet power strip I bought last year which included 2 USB outlets (10 W) that can hardly charge my iPhone, even though they only need 5 W. I also bought one of the dual-Lightning Rockstar adapters for my car so that I could charge my iPhone and play music at the same time - just did a warranty replacement on that. It's very irksome that they seem to have good ideas but just can't deliver quality goods.

12. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

The coating on the screen isn’t so hard and that’s how scratched appear.

13. capandjudy macrumors member

capandjudy

Well, yes many iPhone users use neither a case nor a screen shield and Apple claims that this is the toughest glass ever but that claim has been made before. But even this super glass will get the small hairline scratches. I just prefer to have both case and screen protector and not have in the back of my mind that my expensive iPhone could be scuffed, scratched, or dinged.

14. teflonthadon macrumors member

teflonthadon

Same with me I purchased for my X and it started to peel from the corner … took it back to Apple since their the ones who applied it and took my payment. The employee told me I hanged to file a claim with belkin and pretty much walked off. ‍♂️ so I contacted belkin and the sent me a replacement

15. adam9c1 macrumors 68000

adam9c1

How do I register with Belen? I bought this for 8 plus for my wife and it cracked on top the following day, no joke.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Agreed. I condone the use of screen protectors and I think they serve their place for certain iPhone users that want added protection. But none of my displays have had any scratches or issues without the use of a screen protector, which are near perfect condition. I think it truly comes down to how well you take care of your iPhone and the environment it's exposed to every day.

17. ac921ol macrumors 6502

Maybe the will make the new one cover the top part of the screen. lol

18. dontlookback82 macrumors newbie

I returned mine yesterday and Apple refunded me.

19. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

the only thing it needs to stop is the price they are charging customers. What a rip off.

20. hussainu87 macrumors newbie

Regular browser of these forums but had to register to post what happened to me. Got the iPhone X on launch day and had the Belkin screen protector installed instore straight away using their machine. It looked and felt amazing. Last Friday reaching for a glass out the cupboard it slipped out my hand and fell on top of my phone witch was on the worktop not a massive height but the glass was heavy. Looked at the phone and saw a massive crack I thought o well thank god for the screen protector will go into town and get another one right now. I peeled it off and the screen protector was untouched no marks or scratches but the actual screen was smashed on the phone. I couldn't believe my luck, i honestly wanted to cry. Quickly booked it into the nearest apple store genius bar luckily they had reservations that morning, went in paid them £279 they didn't have the parts so they gave me a new phone instead. I then paid £150 to get the clear coat fusion front and back screen protectors and the fusion bumper installed from mobile outfitters. The guy went three escalators up then dropped his iPhone in front of me i picked it up no marks or cracks fully working. I wouldn't dare drop it though knowing my luck

21. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Never understood why people put this crap on their iPhones. iPhone screens are extremely durable - I have never had a screen scratch or crack. Then again, I do take special care to not carry my iPhone in a pocket with keys or other metal objects.

But I wouldn't be caught dead sticking these junky covers on my iPhone screen.

22. Tech198 macrumors G5

I always thought flimsy means not as good, or at least "a trade off" between durable, and well made.

This failed that test looks like.

When it only a screen protector, that says little for the back, or sides. There seems to be a trade off.

Wanna admire your phone, or hide it away, but better protection?

23. mabhatter macrumors 6502a

Even cracked, the screen protector is still protecting your iPhone from car keys, wear from items in pockets, etc. if you did drop your iPhone it would still take the hit instead of the iPhone screen. It looks ugly, but it’s still protecting the device.

My guess is that like all accessory makers Apple gave them specs very late, or not at all. Which leads to rushed tooling. With tempered glass you have to carefully size, cut, & polish because it’s like your car windshield... if there’s a slight edge imperfection it will instantly expand across the glass.

24. rcooked macrumors regular

I actually am interested in this product merely as scratch protection and something to provide a little more "grip" on the phone itself. I just wish they would make one for the back of the device as well. I'm not a case fan at all, but keep my X in an Apple case to help.

25. newellj macrumors 603

Six weeks of use says you're wrong.

But thanks for playing. :rolleyes:

Next...
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2017 ---
    They're incredibly expensive, but:

1. The machine/guide makes installation really perfect. I'm very careful and very experienced, and I just can't do as perfect a job by hand.

2. I think they are better quality than any I've bought over the years. It's not too uncommon to get things like edge chips on every other brand I've used. The Belkins have been flawless over multiple years. There's obviously an issue with the version for the X, but I believe Belkin will figure that out.