Belkin Halts Sales of 'InvisiGlass Ultra' Screen Protector for iPhone X Following Widespread Customer Complaints

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 22, 2017.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have the 7+ Belkin one and it also is cracked! It only is 3 weeks old and never dropped. It cracked because a pen fell on the bottom corner!
  2. rtr1985 macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2012
    Has to a bad batch or something. I mean reall. I have dropped, tapped, banged, etc., the phone around and no issues. I always hated plastic screen protectors but the glass ones are pretty great.

The bare screen is fine, too, unless you’re working around the garage, outside, or gym.
  3. machumors90 macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2017
    Screen protectors are INVISIBLE...not invincible.
  4. shawngt2 macrumors member

Aug 28, 2012
    Only issue I got with mine is there is a like a blue tinge to the protector beside my wifes iPhone 8 plus Belkin protector...
  5. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

Jul 17, 2009
    Der Wald
    First step to a cure is admission and acceptance of being sick.
  6. Nahaz macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2010
    Never liked Belkin products.

My own personal choice is to use Spigen Tempered Glass and Phone Protectors.
    When I lined up for my iPhone X I already had the accessories ready to add to it
  7. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Apr 2, 2008
    New York.
    I’ve had mine on since launch day and have zero issues. Tech 21 Impact Clear + Belkin Invisiglass Ultra. Great combo.
  8. Sheza macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2010
    Croydon & London At The Same Time
    So I'm gonna get the new model for free, right?
  9. scott523, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017

scott523 macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2006
    Saint Charles, MO
    Good of Belkin to own up to their quality issues.

I fortunately don’t have any cracks after installation at the Apple Store. I did, however, notice a flaw about half an inch above the side button a week later. It looks like there’s a tiny chip on the edge beneath the top layer. I’m guessing it’ll fail with the right drop/impact, not sure when (maybe never).
  10. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

Dec 23, 2014
    U.S.A., Earth
    In shopping malls, kiosks would "armor" your phone by putting some thin, exterior all over it. The guy would demonstrate by taking house/car keys, and viciously scratching a demo phone all over. IIRC, it cost $30 to $60 (which varied by phone.

Fact is, if you really like something, then you're willing to sink more money into it.
  11. EnJaNir macrumors member

Feb 16, 2011
    That is what I would assume. My girls are always playing with my phone without any issue. Still looks like day 1.
  12. Radeon85 macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2012
    South Wales, UK
    Apple fitted mine on my X with the machine about 2 months ago, so far it's still in flawless condition. Hopefully mine stays that way.
  13. joueboy macrumors 65816

Jul 3, 2008
    That sounds like informercials, the more you pay attention to it the more you’re convinced. I do believe those things does works just as the way they demoed. But obviously it’s also works just fine buying a cheaper one from Amazon. Like I said just like informercials they just need little convincing and the rest is your decision. Like you said you’re convinced enough then hey you’ll pay for it, it’s your money afterall. But for $60 that cost few cents to make which is true in a lot of things. At one point Apple stopped selling those screen protector in their stores. I guess the profit margin is so irresistible for them.
  14. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2010

Agreed. Ive done the Apple Belkin install for pure convenience - can’t beat some options online, though.

I can vouch for Spigen GLAStR slim from amazon - 2 for $8.99 w/ Prime shipping

Have one on my 8+ and one on my wife’s X.

Each obviously has a spare god forbid anything.
  15. dannys1 macrumors 68020

Sep 19, 2007
    A matte iPhone screen? Urghhh
    --- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2017 ---
    At very worse at the end of a years usage there will be some micro scratches you can only see under the right (wrong?) light and not at all in normal usage - yet you can see that cut out around the speaker all year with a screen protector (plus the edge around the screen it least they don't have the cut out around the home button anymore)
  16. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Mar 22, 2011
    while these screen protector feel,fit and invisibility are great. It apoears that the durability leaves something to be desired
    Give me a break Belkin.$40 for a screen protector and you still can’t give us quality. SHAME ON BELKIN.
    Belkin should be synonymous with Quality and Durability
    Lastly. Update your people about what’s going on. So that when a customer calls we get a quick and satisfactory solution
  17. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

Aug 26, 2009
    I bought one of these for $1 at the dollar tree store and it lasted 2 years. For quality cases and protection, Belkin is a mixed bag. Some products are ok and priced ok... this was not one.
  18. nickpro macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2007
    Bay Area
    Lol that’s my review. Requested a replacement from Belkin a couple days ago and the person helping me said that someone would follow up with me in order to finish the warranty replacement process. Haven’t heard from anyone yet
  19. giggles macrumors 6502

Dec 15, 2012
    I don’t get it, pricier things are always better.
    Oh well I’ll stick to 2-packs for 7.95$ off Amazon.
    Probably invisible full surface ones that don’t look like protective film on a sofa.
  20. jthesssin macrumors regular

May 6, 2013
    Matthews NC
    And that is why I only do Spigen cases and protectors...
  21. Little Endian, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017

Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Apr 9, 2003
    Never understood the purpose of glass screen protectors. Never used them and probably never will. It always amuses me when someone shows me their cracked glass screen protector as evidence that it saved their actual screen from damage. Yes it could have saved your screen from getting scratched but then any screen protector could do that. ALL of the glass screen protectors will crack and much more easily than the factory glass on most smartphones. This Belkin fiasco only strengthens the argument that glass screen protectors are a joke.
  22. giggles macrumors 6502

Dec 15, 2012
    Clarity, smoothness, bubble free install..
  23. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2008
    But they don’t do anything, which is his entire point...
  24. giggles macrumors 6502

Dec 15, 2012
    It’s like in Super Mario when you’re big and you can take 1 hit without dying.
    And you can restore that hit point with spare change vs hundreds of $ to replace the actual screen.

Back when iPhones had an Home button, you had to suffer a sharp (or at least raised) step around said button, if you installed a glass protector. It was not OCD-proof, your finger would hit it.

Now with the X, if you install a real full surface glass protetctor, you could forget you have it on. It’s “free” in terms of drawbacks. Especially if you use a case with raised lips that prevent you to hit the edges of the glass protector with your finger when swiping from bottom, top or sides.

So there’s no better time ever to use a glass protector.
  25. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2008
    It isn’t at all like that. The screen protectors are softer and far more scratch prone that the actual screen. It’s like buying vitamin C because you think it’s going to keep you healthy. It isn’t going to make you healthy, it just makes you mentally feel better about yourself. A drop to the device on the corner that would shatter a screen isn’t going to be held together like glue, it’s going to break. A drop onto a stone isn’t going to prevent a hole being cut into it, it’s just going to make it shallower. Either way, you need to replace the screen - plus be out the cost of the useless screen protector that looks ugly and feels terrible.