Bent iPhone 6 Plus - Need advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andyp350, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I've just taken my just out of warrenty iPhone 6 Plus into my Apple Store to get a screen replacement (I have minor cracks in the bottom of the glass). I've just been told by the Apple genius that they can't replace my screen without the risk of me having to pay for a whole phone replacement as the phone is bent and this makes the repair difficult and sometimes impossible.
    It seems ludicrous to me that the bend (I didn't even know it was bent else I would obviously have taken it in while it was still in warrenty) is not covered by Apple out of warrenty as it is a wide spread issue with the 6 Plus.
    Is there any way or any point in me pursuing this further to get this replaced by Apple.
    I am obviously willing to pay for the screen replacement but that fact that this is not possible due to a defect that is not of my own doing seems really unfair.

2. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

Ah sorry about that, try asking a different person.
    Wasn't there a contact in Apple for this one?

3. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

they were really busy so I couldn't see anyone else. I wish I'd been more persistent now, I might make another appointment for next weekend to argue my case

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Unless you reported the phone was bent when you got it, you are pretty well going to have to be responsible for the bend. Basically Apple is telling you they may not be able to put a new screen on your device due to the bend. The chipped or broken screen could be due to the bend.

Pursuing it would involve going above the geek to the store manager and even directly through Apple. There is always a chance going higher could help but it is only a possibility.

5. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand this, but bend-Gate is highly publicised and recognised issue with these phones and we know it's a design flaw rather than misuse by the user. Because of this I think it's only fair Apple take responsibility for their design flaw and replace bent phones.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Try telling them, 'we wouldn't be having this discussion if Apple hadn't made a bendable phone'...:cool:

7. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

They really did bend easier. My guy bent his 6, while it was in an Otterbox . I'd talk to everyone you can, I got a full replacement for $100 after an hour of explaining and showing thread after thread of people reporting bends. However, my device had no screen damage.

8. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've actually always defended Apple over bend gate, as I said in the first post I didn't even know it was bent so how could I have reported it.
    The fact that Apple are unable to carry out a standard screen repair because the designed a phone that bent with normal usage is appalling and I really think it's only fair they replace the phone (I would be happy to pay them the cost of the screen repair).
    Currently on hold with advisor, will see if I get anywhere!

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Dude you bent it, broke the screen, and don't have AppleCare. I'm not normally this much of a jerk but take responsibility for your actions. I hope you get a replacement phone at low or no cost but none of what happened is Apple's fault.

10. andyp350, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015

andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I obviously take responsibility for the cracked glass, which I'm obviously happy to pay for. I didn't bend the phone. Its lived in a case and I rarely put it in my trouser pockets. A phone should not bend to the extent that a standard screen replacement cannot be carried out! That is not my fault, it is a major design flaw in the iPhone 6 Plus. It is Apple's fault the iPhone 6 Plus's bend so easily, not mine. They basically admitted this by having to use a new stronger material in the 6S/6S Plus.

11. PicanteGamer macrumors newbie

Stating the bend is not at all Apple's fault for what has time and again been validated as a significant design deficiency is ludicrous. The broken screen is obviously user error but Apple have taken a non customer centric stance when it comes to dealing with phones that have been bent with no obvious signs of physical abuse to justify that.

12. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you. It seems to me the fair thing in this situation would be for the phone to be replaced and I pay the price of what the screen replacement would have cost me.

13. Newtons Apple, Oct 3, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

What you think is fair matters very little. Apple has been known to replace devices that have bent but not in all cases. They will make the choice and not you. Best of luck

14. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

Unless you are Uri Geller.

15. brand macrumors 601

brand

The only reason iPhones bend is because of user negligence. Instead of people taking responsibility for their actions it has become common place for people to blame someone else and slap gate on the end.

16. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

At least let us know this device has the tendency to bend. A lot of people don't baby their stuff and have done just fine with previous iPhone iterations. The 6 and 6+ were the first of their size...

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Bendgate was a fake issue made by haters and competitors ...
    There isn't any design flaw.
    Surely there could be defective units, bent since the beginning, but other than that, you had probably caused the problem on your device (and the broken display is a clue).
    Don't blame apple for that.

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

No.
    The phone doesn't have the tendency to bend unless you don't sit on it.
    I'm keeping mine in my pockets since January and guess what ? It's straight as it was.

19. stulaw11 Suspended

There is NO bendgate- and stop with the stupd -gate BS. Gate threads should all be banned it's enough BS already.

Metal doesn't bend itself so it's user error. Period. Even if the metal was softer than this year, only a person can bend it absent some sci-fi telepathy.

Rebuttal to metal bending itself so that it's not user caused/error and Apple should fix it, go right ahead. Bottom line it takes force to bend something and hence user caused, period.

\Thread.

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Bent is an obvious sign of physical abuse.

21. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Apple was being generous and covering a slight bend under warranty. A bend is user damage, either sat on, or hit. Metal didn't bend itself. But after physical damage the bend could have been caused by that, so the warranty coverage of a bend is voided after a broken screen. If you had AppleCare it would be covered. You chose not to get AppleCare, so it will probably be a full unit replacement at full cost. $329.

22. andyp350, Oct 3, 2015

andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can't believe how wrong some of you are. If you really think it's acceptable for a phone to bend if it's kept in your pocket (the only possible way I can imagine this happened) then you're all sheep.
    A mobile phone is not fit for purpose if it can't be kept in a pocket without becoming damaged, this is not negligent.
    All of you saying I have made up the bending issue or that I "must have bent it myself" clearly don't know what you're talking about. I obviously cannot prove it to any of you over the Internet but I know I haven't done anything with the phone that shouldn't be expected of it in regards to causing it to bend.

I'd also like to point out that I didn't even know about the bend, it was an Apple Store genius that informed me of it, so I can hardly have made it up. The fact that it was bent and I didn't even notice means there are likely loads more affected phones that have bent slightly but the users will never notice.

23. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the assumption but I know how the glass cracked and it certainly wouldn't have caused the whole phone to bend. I know for a fact that I haven't done anything that should cause the phone to bend. You can say it's made up if you like but the number of people affected by it says otherwise.

24. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lucky you! I kept mine in my pocket and it did bend. See how not every case is the same and you can't generalise based on just your experience?

25. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I carry my phone in my pocket every day and it's not bent because... Wait for it... I didn't bend it. Baa!

218659913_2345baa0c8.jpg
    :p:p:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.