Best 24"-27" Display for Retina Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ascender, Nov 1, 2016.

1. ascender macrumors 68000

I've been doing a bit of searching on here but am coming up blank, possibly because its not a topic I've been keeping up to speed on, so its all a bit bewildering with the different resolutions available now and connectors.. 4K, 5K, HDMI, USB-C etc.

I'm replacing an 11" MBA and 27" LED Cinema Display with a 12" MacBook and some-kind-of-display.

I'm looking for something between 24" & 27" in size. I'm not doing photo editing or video work, so I'm just looking for a nice all-round display. A camera in it would be a bonus as I like to use my Mac in clamshell mode.

I'm based in the UK and would prefer to keep the cost under £500.

What's the recommended options? Thanks!

2. King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

Not sure the model number, but I know Dell makes 4K monitors in both 24 and 27 inch variants. I'll most likely be picking one up for myself pretty soon.

3. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Is it worth getting a 4K monitor for the MacBook or are you better off with a 2560x1440 resolution one for general use unless you need the 4K resolution?

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

I would say your best option by far is a 4K USB-C monitor, such as the LG 27UD88-W. It gives you display signal, a 2-port USB-A hub, and power over that one USB-C cable. It eliminates any need for other adaptors or docks.

It does creep above £500, but it's a really convenient solution. Plus you're saving the cost of something like the Apple Multiport adaptor, which you would otherwise need.