Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
+1 I wanna good solid clamp arm for a 27" iMac too! Anyone know of any good arms available in the UK the Humanscale one is amazing!

2 Owls

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
My humanscale M8 has cost me £340, cheaper to import but import duty would make it about the same so I just bought from a UK supplier. Couple of weeks for delivery but I'll post some pictures once it's installed.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
+1 I wanna good solid clamp arm for a 27" iMac too! Anyone know of any good arms available in the UK the Humanscale one is amazing!

Innovative, the company that produced the arms for probably 80% of the readers of this thread (through the $99 Amazon reseller deal last year), has a European affiliate called Innovative Europe. There model numbers don't coincide with the American company, but by the looks of it, the common model suitable for the 27" iMac (as per the deal above) is the 7500-1500, which corresponds to the European model called the 6618. On the linked webpage, they only refer to the 6618-800 which has a maximum payload of 22 lbs, but on the product capabilities page they note "other ranges available upon request" - - suggesting they may have a 6618-1500 strong enough for the iMac. Who knows what the pricing will be like though... :eek:

Interestingly, when I was looking up the model numbers on the American website, I see they have launched a new model of the 7500 - - the 7500-HD-1500 which includes the improved tilt mechanism reputed to be in development much earlier in this thread. Here's their description:

7500-HD features Innovative's patented HD tilter, a spring-assisted pivot for your monitor which makes monitor adjustment remarkably easy, even with large screens.

The old tilting mechanism has been repeatedly reported to be the least well designed element of the arm by myself and many others, so this development if it turns out to be successful, is quite significant to arm users. Even though readers of this thread, will have discovered that the old tilter gets better with use and possibly with careful lubrication, it is still the weak link in an incredible product.

If anyone has purchased one of the new Innovative 7500-HD-1500's, I would love to hear your thoughts on this improved component.

macman05

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Best Arm Options For New 27" iMac - see last page!

Just installed the Ergotron MX on my 27 iMac and it is great. Specs stated max 30lbs at max extension but it holds the imac up with no problems. Very easy install and looks quite nice if you ever decide to stare at the back of your computer.
Picked it up from buy.com for $107 shipped 2 day mail.
http://www.buy.com/prod/ergotron-mx-desk-mount-lcd-arm-30-lb-aluminum/q/loc/111/209871968.html
MX-Desk-Mount-LCD-Arm-45-214-026.jpg

and look around the net and you'll easily find a $5.00 off $100 from buy.com.

pics to come once I get everything back to normal.

Does this arm make any physical contact with the back or bottom of your iMac? How about when it's folded against the wall?

Celt16

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Best arm for 27" iMac really depends on application

We're mounting the 27" iMac on the wall in our kitchen above a countertop - it's a family machine and our first Mac after banishing Dell and Windows from our household (although I am still forced to use them in my home office by my employer). So be gentle on me, I'm an iNewbie or iDiot as you prefer :)

I bought the Ergotron MX, and it is really sturdy, but I'm sending it back because it doesn't fit my application. From its wall-mount position flush against the wall and high enough to be out of the way of the countertop, I need it to travel 90 dregrees out from the wall 12", and down vertically 12" - with swivel action so we can use it from the front or side of the counter (it's on a countertop corner. The MX simply doesn't have that kind of vertical range, and it is too bulky to sit flush to the wall. But again, it is one study arm.

So I'm sending it back and buying the (considerably more expensive) Innovative 7517-1500. Best price I could find was about $285. I'll post something when I have it in hand.

Chubby Davis

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2010
Question about HUMANSCALE M8....(gave up on monitors in motion) does anybody know if i need to order an APPLE back plate?
Thanks

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
You need the adapter for any VESA mounting as the mounting holes are not on the iMac they are on the additional VESA bracket. Anyoen know any M8 suppliers in the UK?

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Question about HUMANSCALE M8....(gave up on monitors in motion) does anybody know if i need to order an APPLE back plate?
Thanks
Yes you must have the VESA backplate to connect "98%" of the arms on the market..... There are a few that connect to where you remove the stand.
while this thread is alive..

are there any alternatives to http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC434ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

Granted 29.00 doesn't seem too unreasonable, I figured someone might know of a 3rd party supplier for cheaper.

Thanks

Not to say there aren't any but I searched for days to find a 3rd party Plate with zero luck.
JustFYI, you will have to be home to sign for that single piece of metal or it will not be delivered just like it was the iMac itself. Found this out after playing hide n seek without the fedex guy.

2 Owls

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
You need the adapter for any VESA mounting as the mounting holes are not on the iMac they are on the additional VESA bracket. Anyoen know any M8 suppliers in the UK?

I ordered mine from DS Ergonomics in Hertfordshire UK, its due in the next few weeks, I'll post some pictures once its installed.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
are there any alternatives to http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC434ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

Granted 29.00 doesn't seem too unreasonable, I figured someone might know of a 3rd party supplier for cheaper.

Thanks

As discussed both earlier in this thread, and on the Apple support forums, the engineering tolerances of the Apple VESA adapter plate are extremely tight. It is a bear to get on the iMac as it is, so I'd be very concerned about fit with a third party plate.

922-6625.jpg

Between the exquisite quality construction of the Apple plate, it's included (admittedly cheap grade) tools, elaborate packaging, and free shipping if you order it with your iMac, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this part has one of the lowest profit margins for Apple of all it's accessories.

crapper3

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
Innovative, the company that produced the arms for probably 80% of the readers of this thread (through the $99 Amazon reseller deal last year), has a European affiliate called Innovative Europe. There model numbers don't coincide with the American company, but by the looks of it, the common model suitable for the 27" iMac (as per the deal above) is the 7500-1500, which corresponds to the European model called the 6618. On the linked webpage, they only refer to the 6618-800 which has a maximum payload of 22 lbs, but on the product capabilities page they note "other ranges available upon request" - - suggesting they may have a 6618-1500 strong enough for the iMac. Who knows what the pricing will be like though... :eek:

Interestingly, when I was looking up the model numbers on the American website, I see they have launched a new model of the 7500 - - the 7500-HD-1500 which includes the improved tilt mechanism reputed to be in development much earlier in this thread. Here's their description:

The old tilting mechanism has been repeatedly reported to be the least well designed element of the arm by myself and many others, so this development if it turns out to be successful, is quite significant to arm users. Even though readers of this thread, will have discovered that the old tilter gets better with use and possibly with careful lubrication, it is still the weak link in an incredible product.

If anyone has purchased one of the new Innovative 7500-HD-1500's, I would love to hear your thoughts on this improved component.

I contacted Innovative Essentials recently here is their response:

On the previous email, I forgot to mention that the model 7500 was recently
redesigned to support its full 44lbs capacity. The manufacturer is now
installing a new tilter mechanism that provides better monitor tilt
adjustment. The mechanism was redesigned because previous versions, over
time, the tilter mechanism would wear out and the monitor eventually would
begin to tilt downward while in use. Therefore, the new model part # is
7500-HD-1500-104 available for an upgrade charge of $20.00

In short they offered me the 7500-HD-1500-104 + the 200mmx200mm VESA plate for 315$ shipped after I asked them to price match me the 27" 1500-104 model for 170$ as a few minor e-tailers carry it for that price (out of stock of course). They declined and offered me basically a 10% discount on the two items.

I ended up ordering it from FuturepowerPC for 189$ shipped. It supposed to be shipped from the manufacturer directly, which will probably take a few weeks/months :).

I'm in no rush, so here is hoping I get it for 189$ shipped eventually, and that I get the new HD model, since it ships directly from the manufacturer.

The arm was on sale last year for 99$ shipped at Amazon, so I don't see how this radial arm could be worth paying more than 200$ for.

I will let you know once FuturepowerPC processes my order, and when it arrives (if it arrives, and they don't change the price)

Lit Up*

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
can somebody just do a summation of this thread? It's a lot for a new reader to trawl through. Basically I want to have this on the wall at a kind of standing eye level height and then pull it down and around for when I'm sat in my armchair.

thx

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
can somebody just do a summation of this thread? It's a lot for a new reader to trawl through. Basically I want to have this on the wall at a kind of standing eye level height and then pull it down and around for when I'm sat in my armchair.

thx

Arms good. Fire bad.

Lit Up*

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
funny har har. seriously, you could just write a short guide for new users so that the info in this thread is more accessible to those just joining the conversation. assuming you want to make the info more accessible.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008

thx

Arms good. Fire bad.

funny har har. seriously, you could just write a short guide for new users so that the info in this thread is more accessible to those just joining the conversation. assuming you want to make the info more accessible.

I couldn't resist the snark when I think of where most of us iMac arm fans (including myself) started from last fall - - there was no one place to go to find detailed information on all the arms suitable for the iMac and how to mount and adjust them. Now here it is nine months later and everything is laid out in the space of ten short pages. It makes me think that perhaps you may not need any encouragement to sit in your armchair more than you already do. ;)

But I suppose the short answer is to buy an Innovative 7500 like 80% of the people in this thread - - it's relatively inexpensive, widely available, and does the job.

crapper3

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
I couldn't resist the snark when I think of where most of us iMac arm fans (including myself) started from last fall - - there was no one place to go to find detailed information on all the arms suitable for the iMac and how to mount and adjust them. Now here it is nine months later and everything is laid out in the space of ten short pages. It makes me think that perhaps you may not need any encouragement to sit in your armchair more than you already do. ;)

But I suppose the short answer is to buy an Innovative 7500 like 80% of the people in this thread - - it's relatively inexpensive, widely available, and does the job.

I wouldn't call it inexpensive. Damn thing has a MSRP of 400$, and is out of stock pretty much everywhere, as of right now.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Here's an unusual video review of the Ergotron LX Dual LCD Arm.

The content is actually very clear and professionally presented including a look at the nuts and bolts of installation - - the unusual part is that it's just one episode (#116) of an ongoing series of gadget review video podcasts produced by the Jesuits through their Centre for Apostolic Technology with your host, the very personable Father Robert Ballecer.

For those interested in more of their technology reviews, their website is TheTechStop.net - - they also have what appears to be a rather lively blog which includes entries on technology, politics, and the usual blog bread and butter of funny videos.

(Note: While the Ergotron LX is not rated for a payload as heavy as the 27" iMac, Father Robert helpfully notes in his YouTube comments that he has successfully tried it with a pair of Dell 27" monitors.)

Lit Up*

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
I need a fairly long reach. From my desk in the corner, to my armchair in the other corner, to the end of my bed. For this solution I have been considering this:

http://www.ergomart.com/HD_LCD_monitor_arms/lcd_monitor_arm_SAA66.htm

although I haven't even tried to find a UK dealer and that price is pretty massive, as is the damn arm - not something that looks good or blends in.

In the meantime I've found a better option. A free trolley from my mum which I can sit the thing on and wheel around. Why did nobody think of that? :)

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
I need a fairly long reach. From my desk in the corner, to my armchair in the other corner, to the end of my bed. For this solution I have been considering this:

http://www.ergomart.com/HD_LCD_monitor_arms/lcd_monitor_arm_SAA66.htm

although I haven't even tried to find a UK dealer and that price is pretty massive, as is the damn arm - not something that looks good or blends in.

In the meantime I've found a better option. A free trolley from my mum which I can sit the thing on and wheel around. Why did nobody think of that? :)

In case it falls off, the trolley will be very top heavy!

Also What do you want to put on that long reach arm?!

crapper3

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
I contacted Innovative Essentials recently here is their response:

In short they offered me the 7500-HD-1500-104 + the 200mmx200mm VESA plate for 315$ shipped after I asked them to price match me the 27" 1500-104 model for 170$ as a few minor e-tailers carry it for that price (out of stock of course). They declined and offered me basically a 10% discount on the two items.

I ended up ordering it from FuturepowerPC for 189$ shipped. It supposed to be shipped from the manufacturer directly, which will probably take a few weeks/months :).

I'm in no rush, so here is hoping I get it for 189$ shipped eventually, and that I get the new HD model, since it ships directly from the manufacturer.

The arm was on sale last year for 99$ shipped at Amazon, so I don't see how this radial arm could be worth paying more than 200$ for.

I will let you know once FuturepowerPC processes my order, and when it arrives (if it arrives, and they don't change the price)

Expected for delivery tomorrow, took about 3 weeks.

Will let you guys know if I got the new HD revision, or the older 7500-1500-104 version.

Either way it's still a good price for 189$ compared to 300$-400$ like Innovative Solutions and other Ergo sites are asking. I know it's not 99$ but that was just a short sale on Amazon last year.

If anybody wants to order directly from Innovative Solutions I have a 10% off coupon that they gave me. PM me if you want it.

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA
I'm looking to get a desk mount monitor arm for my 27" iMac.

There was some discussion of this a year or two ago on the forums, but I'm interested in hearing any opinions/experiences/suggestions for an arm that would provide convenient and safe positioning for the weight (20.5 lbs.) and width of my new machine.

Some of the brands that have been mentioned in the past are Ergotron and iLift, and I also came across this one from ComputerComforts.

The Apple site has just what you're looking for under accessories.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008

One vertical market that uses trolleys or carts for computers on a regular basis is the healthcare industry. One especially tricked out model is the StyleView EMR Cart which features a built-in Ergotron articulating arm. Of course, being targeted at the healthcare market, it has a suitably hefty price of $2,699. This pdf brochure details it's many features (and may also provide some interesting ideas to general articulated arm fans). Even better is this funky YouTube video entitled: Fit 4 Every Body promoting the StyleView through dance (!) and flashy editing**.

SV42-42221.jpg

(**Note: For anyone who enjoyed the above articulating arm video, the same company has the following charming and professionally produced YouTube videos:

- B♯ At the Bedside features wall mounted health care arms through the use of classical music and stop motion animation!

- It's Alive! is another stop motion video with a horror movie vibe (don't watch this one if you sleep in the same room as your arm).

- The Uprising: Just Stand! is about the joy of ergonomics.

- The Cubicle Blues doesn't even show any products, but instead promotes office health through a blues song.

- TeachWell to the Rescue! in which Tester Guy (featured in most of these videos) has to call for back-up from an AV superhero known as TeachWell.

- Tester Guy Tempts the Teacher displays a large cart style mount for classroom applications.

...and finally the dramatic Tester Guy: Dare2Dual - - who will remain standing?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.