Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
L

Lau

wrc fan said:

:D In Scotland, Tennants is one of the really cheap 'n' nasty beers. It's funny how things are seen differently in different countries. I know we do it over here with beers from different countries too. A lot of my friends from Scotland are rather partial to Miller, and am I right in thinking you guys see that as pretty cheap 'n' nasty?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Lau said:
A lot of my friends from Scotland are rather partial to Miller, and am I right in thinking you guys see that as pretty cheap 'n' nasty?

Cheap 'n' nasty...perfect description of Miller. :D

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Lau said:
:D In Scotland, Tennants is one of the really cheap 'n' nasty beers. It's funny how things are seen differently in different countries. I know we do it over here with beers from different countries too. A lot of my friends from Scotland are rather partial to Miller, and am I right in thinking you guys see that as pretty cheap 'n' nasty?
Yeah, here you can only get Tennants at select British pubs (at least I haven't seen it anywhere else). It's only on tap, never from a can or bottle. I'd rather just drink water (or nothing at all) than something like Miller.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
wrc fan said:
Yeah, here you can only get Tennants at select British pubs (at least I haven't seen it anywhere else). It's only on tap, never from a can or bottle. I'd rather just drink water (or nothing at all) than something like Miller.

I've occasionally gotten bottles of Tennants in those "beers of the world" variety packs at Costco...

L

Lau

It's funny, isn't it? There's a business idea in there somewhere. :D

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
WildCowboy said:
I've occasionally gotten bottles of Tennants in those "beers of the world" variety packs at Costco...
Ah. I never go to Costco. It might be at somewhere like BevMo as well, but I never go there either.

(I'm not really must of a beer or alchohol drinker, btw. Most people make fun of me cause my favorite drink is Malibu and Coke :) )

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
MongoTheGeek said:
My favorite brand I would have to say in Yeungling. Great stuff.

I can't believe I forgot about Yuengling -- it's amazing, and was definitely our beer of choice in college. They extended sales to New York State, and I'm patiently waiting for Yuengling to come to Connecticut.

yuengling_lager_bottle.jpg

God. Getting old sucks. I forget that Tom Petty exists, I forget that Yuengling exists ... I want to post in this thread, but I really don't know where most of my current cuts and bruises have come from.

Well, here's to forgetting, anyway ...

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Hoef said:
Chimey blue (Brussels Belgium) hands down also available in the US anywhere where quality is sold

Is that the same as Chimay Grand Reserve? 'Cause I love that stuff. Divine. :)

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Just went to the beer-fest on Friday night, woah. No good american beers this year, but last year there was Juju Ginger Beer from Left Hand & Tabernash Brewing (Colorado); Shabadoo Black & Tan from Berkshire Brewing (Main).

Now to the good stuff. I love my Canadian microbrews. Bolduc is a good one (love the patronage to prostitutes on the back), as well as the Herminator (Vancouver Island Brewery), Strange Brew and Hemp Ale from Horseshoe Bay Brewery, and Shaftesbury Cream Ale. Plus something about Big Rock Grasshöpper just really strikes it sometimes. Good easy drinking micro from Quebec is basically anything Boréale makes, definitely the noire, rouge et blonde. Brewtopia makes a great Rye ale as well, though I don't think they bottle it.
Internationally is Hoegaardden, Guinness, but probably the best beer I've every had, don't know if it was the setting or what, was Cascade Premium Lager. After a long trip through the outback, oh man a cold one just felt so pristine. Utterly amazing, and those tazy devils on the bottle are pretty sharp too.

Then there's always the Pil.
Can you find the yellow rabbit, Deaner?

Attachments

• pilsner.jpg
    pilsner.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 302

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Bubbasteve said:
Hey you drink what you want I'll drink what I want Mr. Mustache Man

Well alright then, but you might want to keep up on your antibiotics, and if you ever get the urge to run the Belmont with a guy on your back, consult your doctor immediately.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Anyone ever brew their own? I just read a guide online and think it'd be fun to try it at some point. :) The experience of just making it and bottling it would be really fun in and of itself, IMO.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
OutThere said:
Anyone ever brew their own? I just read a guide online and think it'd be fun to try it at some point. :) The experience of just making it and bottling it would be really fun in and of itself, IMO.
Yep, not bad the first few times, but then I got lazy and beer is cheep here in Québec, so my apartment no longer smells like brewing beer, just beer :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
neocell said:
but probably the best beer I've every had, don't know if it was the setting or what, was Cascade Premium Lager. After a long trip through the outback, oh man a cold one just felt so pristine. Utterly amazing, and those tazy devils on the bottle are pretty sharp too.

That's a Tassie Tiger - the extinct, but still oft sighted by drunken Taswegians, Thylacine. I think it was the largest marsupial carnivore.

And it's a very nice beer, Tassie beers are good.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
I don't know of any beers made in the US. Outside the US, I would say Guiness. I spose Guiness is sold in the US, so in some ways it counts to the thread. ;)

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
Rochefort 10, a Trappist Belgian beer for me!!! 11.3% alcohol by volume and after a few of these, you get the idea of why the Trappist monks were a silent order; they were all constantly hungover and/or still pi$$ed. :)

View attachment 49673

And ---- according to Google, the Rochefort beers are available in the US.
Reviewed here

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
It's great to hear there's a lot of good beer out there ...

...because I didn't have much luck. When I recently stayed in Canada for 6 months I was disappointed by what was on offer if you wanted to drink pure biers without genetically modified ingredients. I picked up a pamphlet from Greenpeace and virtually everything in the local LCBO (State run alcohol shop to the uninitiated. Something like the Systembolaget in Sweden) was in the pamphlet saying that it contained GMO's. These independent breweries that people keep mentioning, do they concern themselves with only using pure ingredients? I found it to be a "non issue" over there which I find alarming. In France I intend to get a lot of Leffe Brune, Jenlain & Pelforth Blondes in for the World Cup. When I go To England it has to be Riggvelter or an IPA. Sweden - all hail Kung Dunkelen. Too many to mention here really. Ooh Dreher, that's a good one .... Golden Pheasent in Hungary .......oh and ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.