Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Many customers who pre-ordered the Apple Watch Series 2 from Best Buy will not be receiving their new devices on launch day, according to emails the company sent out this evening.

During pre-orders that took place on Friday, September 9, Best Buy listed a Friday, September 16 delivery date, leading customers to believe they would receive their devices on launch day. Instead, Best Buy won't be shipping out orders until 9/28, nearly two weeks later.

bbapplewatchimage.jpg

To compensate pre-order customers who are facing delays, Best Buy has included a promo code for a $50 discount on a future Best Buy purchase in each email, which must be used by October 14, 2016. That will get pre-order customers an extra Sport Band or another Apple Watch accessory.

Customers affected have ordered a wide range of Apple Watch Series 2 models, including the stainless steel Apple Watch with White Sport Band and various Sport configurations.

Apple Watch Series 2 supplies were constrained from the moment Apple's pre-orders started, with shipping estimates on many models slipping within a matter of minutes, so it is no surprise Best Buy has been forced to delay its own shipments. Most Apple Watch Series 2 models placed today won't ship from Apple for 3 to 5 weeks, and Best Buy now lists all Series 2 watches as "Coming Soon."

Article Link: Best Buy Delays Apple Watch Series 2 Shipments, Offers $50 Promo Code as Compensation

underpsi

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
NC

Many customers who pre-ordered the Apple Watch Series 2 from Best Buy will not be receiving their new devices on launch day, according to emails the company sent out this evening.

During pre-orders that took place on Friday, September 9, Best Buy listed a Friday, September 16 delivery date, leading customers to believe they would receive their devices on launch day. Instead, Best Buy won't be shipping out orders until 9/28, nearly two weeks later.

bbapplewatchimage.jpg

To compensate pre-order customers who are facing delays, Best Buy has included a promo code for a $50 discount on a future Best Buy purchase in each email, which must be used by October 14, 2016. That will get pre-order customers an extra Sport Band or another Apple Watch accessory.

Customers affected have ordered a wide range of Apple Watch Series 2 models, including the stainless steel Apple Watch with White Sport Band and various Sport configurations.

Apple Watch Series 2 supplies were constrained from the moment Apple's pre-orders started, with shipping estimates on many models slipping within a matter of minutes, so it is no surprise Best Buy has been forced to delay its own shipments. Most Apple Watch Series 2 models placed today won't ship from Apple for 3 to 5 weeks, and Best Buy now lists all Series 2 watches as "Coming Soon."

Article Link: Best Buy Delays Apple Watch Series 2 Shipments, Offers $50 Promo Code as Compensation

What about people who order just a couple hours after pre orders opened on Apple ? It said 2 weeks also but we are not getting anything from Apple ! I should have went through Best Buy !

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
yeah I wouldn't be happy. I remember at the iPad 2 launch there was a line up at best buy for hours, right across the hall in the mall was the apple store which had much a longer line. After waiting in line for like 5 hours during which time the employees indicated that we would be getting iPads no problem they came out to the line of 60 or so people and said they had like 8 iPads...of course they couldn't have bothered to tell people that from the outset so that we could get in line at the apple store instead.

Reactions: R3k

HailstormX

Contributor
Nov 21, 2012
50 bucks for missing the delivery date is a generous offer. I ordered from apple at midnight but got a 26th - 28th as a estimate. When I saw best buy had the delivery date of the 16th I canceled and ordered thru best buy. Its a bummer that couldn't do the 16th. Still a good move on best buy part.

Apple clearly wasn't ready for a 16th launch. More like the end of the month. They didn't have enough supply to handle 10 mins of orders.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
50 bucks for missing the delivery date is a generous offer. I ordered from apple at midnight but got a 26th - 28th as a estimate. When I saw best buy had the delivery date of the 16th I canceled and ordered thru best buy. Its a bummer that couldn't do the 16th. Still a good move on best buy part.

Apple clearly wasn't ready for a 16th launch. More like the end of the month. They didn't have enough supply to handle 10 mins of orders.

They did not miss the delivery date, the promised delivery on a date they knew they could not meet in order to capture sales.

The should discount the watch and not a future purchase.

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California

I did the same. I actually still have both orders open. I guess I cancel Apple's order and take the $50 from Best Buy. I don't think the Apple will get here any faster (it says 26-28 and I bet it's closer to 28.)

Reactions: HailstormX

mntdewdan

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
Well I'm one of those. I actually have an order from Apple with 9/26 deliver, but then got a 9/16 order from BB. I never canceled the Apple order figuring Murphy's law.
So now I have a choice. Keep the Apple order and get it 9/26, or cancel and get the 9/28 with $50 credit.
That's a tough one.
[doublepost=1473897001][/doublepost]
I thought Samsung was giving some kind of $100 accessory credit or something.

I'm in the same boat and actually had the exact same situation. Ordered from Apple, saw that best buy said they could get it by 9/16, and then made a second order. Honestly reading the email it seems like you get the $50 whether you keep the order or not, but it's definitely possible I missed something since I'm not great at reading the fine print. The order delivery date on my Apple order is about the same time as my Best Buy order so I'll likely just keep that one since they're already doing me a solid by giving me $50.

Reactions: rv0005

rv0005

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Im happy about the $50 but honestly I would give it back to have it on the 16th. I will be TDY on the 28th and gone for a couple weeks. Now I am going to have to deal with potential UPS/FEDEX return shipment etc. I just see major headaches coming. :(

PS: How many days does UPS/FEDEX hold a package that isn't deliverable because of signature? I thought previously it was 10 days.

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
Im happy about the $50 but honestly I would give it back to have it on the 16th. I will be TDY on the 28th and gone for a couple weeks. Now I am going to have to deal with potential UPS/FEDEX return shipment etc. I just see major headaches coming. :(

PS: How many days does UPS/FEDEX hold a package that isn't deliverable because of signature? I thought previously it was 10 days.
IDK if it's UPS or FedEx, but one or both of them will allow you to redirect deliver of some packages. But I think you can't do that until the item has actually shipped and there's a tracking number. It's worth looking in to.

Reactions: rv0005

speedbumpnv

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Could that super typhoon currently smashing into south eastern China be causing some logistical issues? Some product might see shipping delays so reallocation of product to primary retailers (Apple Stores) might be taking place? Just a theory. I'm not sure which province the watch is made in or where shipments transit through...

Reactions: mstrmac and rv0005

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I think Best Buy could have instead offered $50 off the watch or a $50 refund. All this does (the $50 coupon code for a future visit) is ensure more spending at their store, likely more than $50 worth.
That's good business.;) It creates goodwill with customers but also drives future sales. I would have done the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.