best car mount for X

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MrMister111, Nov 4, 2017.

1. dojoman macrumors 65816

Got Seidio mount today unfortunately it’s going back for return. It doesn’t stick very strong to case that have soft coating. I doubt it will safely stick to Apple leather case either. It does stick very well to naked iPhone but then it’s so hard to take off.

2. seajewel macrumors 6502

Unfortunately mine is going back too. It works fine with the naked phone and seemed to work with the Apple leather case (only tried for a few seconds) but does not work at all with my case of choice: Caudabe Veil. I think it’s the micro etching that gives the Veil its grip—the suction doesn’t work because the surface isn’t smooth. Ugh back to the drawing board. I have a Prius too which means very few options to place a car mount—air vent is the best. Really missing my magnetic mount but don’t want to place a plate on the back of the phone..

3. dojoman macrumors 65816

I went back to using this mount. It actually works fine, easy on off from the mount but the only thing is it gets hot whole charging. At least I don’t have to use magnetic mount either.

https://www.amazon.com/wireless-cha...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=T6RS0CF73D9X96M97Z7M

4. LaoBron macrumors member

LaoBron

Picked up this iottie wireless charger at Best Buy for the same price. Works perfectly with the X. Easy to maneuver for Face ID

[​IMG]

5. jlczl macrumors 6502

I just use a cheap magnetic vent clip and I put a small metal plate in whatever case I’m using that day (I have a large collection) before I put my phone in it. I have no issues using Face ID. Here’s a short video I put on my YT channel, “TECH-FIGHTER”:

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68030

In that video you unlocked it then put on mount though. Could you put it on mount, tap screen and from your position unlock?

7. swamyg1 macrumors regular

8. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

I use a proclip setup. Same I've used for the past 3 phones.

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/large-adjustable-holder <--- Note the "large" in the smallest setting is ok for my iPhone X in Apple leather case. It is just a smidge loose, but nothing wobbles or falls out so i'm not gonna downsize to a medium.

9. dojoman macrumors 65816

10. seajewel macrumors 6502

I ordered one of the gravity-assisted mounts. These are mounts that clamp when pressure is put on the bottom by placing a phone in it. Unfortunately the clamps cover a bit of the screen. I'll let the thread know how they are once I receive mine (just picked a wireless charging one from Amazon, there are several brands).

11. jlczl macrumors 6502

It works seamlessly. No stretching towards the phone or anything distracting.

Pic of magnetic vent clip itself. [​IMG]

12. pinkoos macrumors 6502a

I had a jet black 7 in which I had a metal plate stuck directly on the back (with the aid of 3M Primer 94). Worked fine. However, with the X (and the 8's), the glass back has a special coating that prevents anything from sticking to it - even when first primed with Primer 94. I've seen a couple other reports online that 3M VHB just won't stick to the glass backs of the new iPhones.

13. AJsAWiz, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017

AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I had this model. It worked fine when I first got it but then the mounting pad lost it's "stickiness". So, I returned it and got the iOttie vent mounted holder; so far so good.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Do you have any pictures? What kind of car do you have? How’s it holding up? Does it protrude a lot?

15. thedoc46 macrumors member

pikata case and its mount. Case has embedded magnet that you would never know about..

16. jeepik macrumors 6502

Thats what i am rockin’!!!

Plus the pitaka QI charging mount, so convenient

17. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502a

Appleloves22

Mercedes, holding up well. Doesn’t protrude at all.

Attached Files:

18. seajewel macrumors 6502

https://smile.amazon.com/Fast-Wirel...&sr=8-6&keywords=wireless+car+charger+gravity

This is the one I've been using after returning the Seidio, which didn't work with my case. It's a "gravity-assisted" hold which means that the claws gently close over the phone when the phone is placed into the charger. The wireless charging works well but is not fast charging. It barely keeps up or charges 1-2% when running Waze. It's simple to install and I like it a lot. The only small nit is that since the gravity assist requires a holding area at the bottom of the phone, it sometimes interferes slightly with the slide up gesture that has replaced the home button, but not so much that I'd want to return the car mount. There are multiple gravity-assisted car mounts like this one, I chose this one at random from Amazon.

19. Hendohimself macrumors member

Hendohimself

I’ve got the charging mount too - what type ofmetal plate are you using on the phone?

20. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502a

Appleloves22

Changed cars and the cd mount I was using with my old car was getting in the way of all the controls. Got one that uses the cup holder. Works great.

Attached Files:

21. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

22. ArcAngel66 macrumors regular

23. ac921ol macrumors 6502

24. jeremy3721 macrumors regular

25. AFgixxer macrumors regular

AFgixxer