Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davinci4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Hi,

so i'm a bit torn between the new 15 inch MBP with 2.6ghz and the 2.9ghz.. i will certainly get the radeon pro 460 option but i'm wondering if the 2.9ghz processor is really that much faster and better than the 2.6 for 4k video editing. so what should i do?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Does the app you want to use for your editing really take advantage of the Radeon processors (Open CL)? If, so how much impact vs the CPU itself. Today's 15" MBP's mid and top CPU offering has only about a 7 percent difference in overall performance. Price suggest the mid price 2.5 CPU is the sweet spot with ATI graphics and plenty of RAM. I would not venture to guess on what you need because if your editing exploit the Radeon then probably wont see that much difference but if not, then the faster 2.9 with 8mb L3 as opposed to 6mb might show a small speed improvement. I would wait a little bit until a couple of solid reviews come out comparing the two and of course, check again if your app exploits the Radeon as a key feature.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Video editing is resource intensive. IMHO it's best to buy the most you can afford. If your current video editing package doesn't use Radeon now doesn't mean it won't in the near future. Or, you may decide to get a software package in a year that does.

I have a MBP late 2008. When I bought it, I did so with the most I could afford at the time. Only now am I considering an update - 8 years later. When I originally bought it the intent was to do video and photo editing. I did that a lot then, but have waned over the past few years which is one of the reasons it's lasted me so long.

That's my .02.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.