Beta releases shouldn't be so public

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by haydn!, Jun 17, 2013.

1. haydn! macrumors 6502a

If the last few days have proved anything, it's that there are too many armchair designers and developers in the World.

If only the beta release had been a little more low profile, and restricted to you know, developers only, then maybe there wouldn't be countless topics from everyday uses complaining that iOS7 just doesn't work.

#justsayin'

2. TC25, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013

TC25 macrumors 68020

And exactly how would Apple have accomplished this? :confused:

3. WordMasterRice, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013

WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Well they could start by enforcing the UDID check like they did in iOS 5 and previous.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The beta is private and developers have to sign an NDA, unfortunately their is a work around that people discovered.

WWDC = World Wide Developer Conference, Apple can't do low profile when you have 5,500 developers their in one building expecting Apple to discuss software.

5. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Two things:

1. The beta release IS restricted to developers only. Apple can't really stop others from installing it.

2. No one is forcing you to read all of these posts you're complaining about. If you simply installed the beta and tested it out without reading a bunch of forum posts, it wouldn't affect you either way that unauthorized users are installing it.

#justsayin'

6. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

They aren't. It's not like someone can accidently download it. They have to go out of their way to do so e.g. sign up for a developers account, buy a UDID slot, download the iOS 7 ipsw etc etc, I don't think it could be any less public.

7. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I agree with it being let out to a smaller test group. There has been to much nonsense about icons and nothing about the actual function of the os.

8. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Agreed, agreed, agreed. Now everyone's an "expert" on design. Hilarious.

9. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

There was a post on here about how users are generally better when testing apps or beta software because they can naturally encounter bugs and issues, whereas internal testers or a select group of developers tend to unconsciously test only what they know to be working, or only a select few scenarios.

Opening up the beta (or rather, allowing the mass UDID registration) helps discover bugs.

10. bumbo macrumors regular

bumbo

Yeah god forbid they give out a beta to people to test and find out what does and doesn't work.

I don't get what your issue here is... Is it that Apple haven't taken control of the MR forum and removed every single thread slating iOS7? Or is it that too many people have access?

Regardless, you're the one in control of what you read. If you don't want to read it don't click it. What were you expecting to see in an iOS7-specific section?

I'd steer clear of the forums if I were you... :D

11. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Exactly. Because not many have used it, they've just gawped at screenshots and jumped on the complaining train, and now it's moving so fast, they can't get off :D

12. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Apple is not stupid- They have a huge base of developers that pay them to test their software. The shear number of users all over the world makes it near impossible to get the coverage needed.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

And who put up those screenshots prominently all over their website? Oh right, that was Apple.

14. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Unless you have studied the developer videos, or used a physical device, then your opinion is worth about 0.1% of someone that has, as screenshots don't move, and you're missing 99.999% of what iOS 7 is about, without watching others interacting, or interacting yourself.

If you ain't seen it move, and ain't touched it, your opinion is next to useless.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I've installed the beta on my iPhone 4S and been using it.

However, what I'm saying is, if you find it objectionable that people are giving their opinions on iOS 7 by just looking at the screenshots without having used it, then you should lay the blame on Apple. They are the ones who posted the screenshots of their beta iOS all over their website.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I frankly don't care, if you don't want to read those threads then don't open them. :eek:

#Ineverunderstandwhypeopleputhashtagswheretheydontbelong

17. haydn! thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm just glad I provoked conversation that doesn't revolve around icons.

18. TjeuV macrumors 6502

I totally agree, I have the same feeling. Too many people who are not even close to being a developer get these beta releases now. These have nothing to do with it, patience is a good thing to have.

19. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

most developers don't have time for macrumors.

#justsayin'

20. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Wanna hear a secret? Apple doesn't care. They don't care if people have their beta because it's not their problem. If their phone or devices stops working Apple isn't to blame and they'll likely buy another iDevice which means more cash in Apple's pocket.

If they really wanted people to stop using beta if they aren't devs then they could make the beta file so you have to download a specific version of iTunes to use it and it checks to make sure your UDID is registered even if it's just an update

21. xcodeaddict, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

I think I have solved it - they're PAID to moan, by Google!

Shills!! :p

It's not iOS specific - this idiotic behaviour is evident across the broad spectrum of consumer electronics - EVERYONE has an opinion, but most don't realise that not everyone NEEDS or wants to hear it, but they continue anyway.

Noone cares if you don't like iOS - if you "hate" it that much, leave the forum, or if not, at least form informed, inspired and intelligent opinions before commenting, not simply "It looks like it was created by a blind man with crayons" - who ON EARTH is going to take the raving rants of an angry fool, seriously?

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

At the end of the day, this is an internet forum message board. Regardless of what Apple may or may not do, many people here are going to carry on as they have been. As such, one should not let what anonymous people say on an anonymous message board bother him or her. Leave it to the mods to walk through the cow fields.

23. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

You can choose to ignore all this, not sure why it bothers you so much.

#justsayin'

24. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

One nice thing about the "accidental" leaks is that the Beta's get a more rigorous testing. Best way to truly vet all your issues is to let the public loose on it (but call it Beta, so you can still say "I warned you it wasn't ready yet").

25. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

It bothered you so little so as to comment? ;)