Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Thank you! I’m using it now and it’s wonderful!

I also noticed in a recent Gboard update that included a feature for one handed use - it shifts the keyboard to the left or right of screen to make thumb-sliding easier. Might be good for X users who aren't used to the wider screen. On my 6s it's a bit squished & not really of much benefit as I can reach the whole, enlarged keyboard easily anyway.
[doublepost=1516693452][/doublepost]
The X had been a failure for the most part.

It’s a beta device. Not really meant for public use yet.

Sad for those who bought this overpriced, test pre-Release device.

Many, many returns from what I have heard from the Geniuses.

Many people couldn't disagree with you more.

Also, calling others sad for deciding to purchase something you've narrow-mindedly decreed a failure reflects poorly on yourself.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3 and aevan

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

LOL. So for two months you lost the phony Throttlegate “scandal” so now it’s onto the next phony controversy. How long will this nonsense last?

I own 4 iPhone X’s and they all work flawlessly. Best iPhone ever created and we’ve owned them all. Genius.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I'm just a little OCD about it being cluttered. I know it doesn't help anything, but whatever.

It's the opposite, actually. Closing apps can actually decrease battery life (because apps have to be reopened which uses more power and is slower). Not a big difference, but it's best to leave app management to the system. Close only apps that are frozen or you need to shut down immediately for whatever reason.

I understand your views on clutter - I also don't like having an endless row of apps sometimes, but at the end of the day, it is better to just leave them.
[doublepost=1516710694][/doublepost]

For the rest of you, let me translate this. My Envyspeak is a bit rusty, but I'll give it a shot:

I hate the fact that X was received so well.

It's an expensive device. Not really interested in spending that much money on it.

Envious of the people who bought this new, shiny device.

Some people return phones, so I convinced myself it's proof of it being a failure, because I feel better that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Nothing, best phone I have ever owned.

I don’t have the same camera issue you describe, the camera is far better than the one I had on the 7.

I’d have to go with this, I tried the iPhone 8 now sent back and compared to my 6S the camera is a massive improvement. I had to tap onto the subject all the time before snapping but generally fantastic shots. Rubbish in low light as to be expected but in daylight great.
I’d imagine the X is the same as it is the same or very similar improvements.

bobswika

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
I really like my iphone X. Only nagging problem I have is with the camera. When it works it's the best camera I ever had on a phone. Problem is half the time when I open the camera it won't take a picture and is just frozen on a random screen like this. If I wait long eneough or open and close I will eventually usually get it to work.
camera1.png
camera2.png
I will eventually make it to the genius bar but the closest one is 1 hour away. I thought it would be a software issue since the pictures are great when it works but since I have heard of no one else with this issue I'm now guessing it's a hardware issue.

Bob

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
For the rest of you, let me translate this. My Envyspeak is a bit rusty, but I'll give it a shot:

It's an expensive device. Not really interested in spending that much money on it.

Some people return phones, so I convinced myself it's proof of it being a failure, because I feel better that way.

LOL, so true.

Reactions: aevan

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Yeah, but even more with the X since there is not home button and screenshots are taken using the two sides buttons.

That's puzzling to me. I wake the X by tapping on the screen, so I never go near any buttons. To power off, I reach up my right thumb and tap the side button.

Those who are having problems....are you left handed?

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London
I really like my iphone X. Only nagging problem I have is with the camera. When it works it's the best camera I ever had on a phone. Problem is half the time when I open the camera it won't take a picture and is just frozen on a random screen like this. If I wait long eneough or open and close I will eventually usually get it to work. View attachment 748070 View attachment 748071 I will eventually make it to the genius bar but the closest one is 1 hour away. I thought it would be a software issue since the pictures are great when it works but since I have heard of no one else with this issue I'm now guessing it's a hardware issue.

Bob

Same issue with mine. It's a bug with software. Occurs when you rotate your phone when viewing pictures you just took and going back to the camera.

Anyone else accidentally take screenshots anytime they go to lock/unlock their phone, while putting it in your pocket or picking it up?

Very annoying. It happens to me when I change the volume and accidentally press the power button since it's much larger now. Wish we could assign accessibility shortcut for making screenshots.

Home bar is really annoying in landscape mode when playing the game or scrubbing the video in youtube. Wish there was another swipe you have to make to get out of the full-screen landscape app

These are my main issues

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
3G and 4 didn't have OS integrated screen shots. As per the 6 and 8, not sure what to tell you as what I describe happens to me, forgot to mention that tidbit.

"4S". Not just 4. And the 4 certainly also got screenshots with updates..... Didn't it? Pretty sure it did.
Anyways, differen button placement there.
Never had issues with the 6 or 8 regardless

macnmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Park
my side power button works 50% of the time on the first press... when you press it again, it loads up apple pay... which is extremely annoying

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
I came from iPhone 5 and SE. I love the huge upgrade to the iPhone X. Face ID works well enough. I’ve gotten used to the notch. It’s a trade off to make the screen edge to edge almost.

My biggest disappointment is this https://instagram.com/p/BeRSJZZAhH6/

Does that mean next year’s phone won’t have a notch.

bobswika

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Same issue with mine. It's a bug with software. Occurs when you rotate your phone when viewing pictures you just took and going back to the camera.

These are my main issues

I have a really hard time getting the camera to work when this happens. Even by rebooting the phone sometimes when I open the camera it is still messed up. Do you have a way that you get the camera functional again when this happens? Thanks a lot.

Bob

RedKite

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2017
It's the opposite, actually. Closing apps can actually decrease battery life (because apps have to be reopened which uses more power and is slower). Not a big difference, but it's best to leave app management to the system. Close only apps that are frozen or you need to shut down immediately for whatever reason.

I understand your views on clutter - I also don't like having an endless row of apps sometimes, but at the end of the day, it is better to just leave them.
[doublepost=1516710694][/doublepost]

I'm terribly sorry but I'm new to mac fanboyism. Is it such a thing that people disbelieve others opinions because it goes against their own? I used to see similar discussions regarding games consoles in the 90's but I don't spend much time online.... before joining this site I'd literally go on websites for maybe an hour a week (other things to do). So you might have to explain some things to me:

- Why do you feel the need to protect Apple? Do you get anything out of it? Is it because of boredom?

Actually I guess that's my only question. I never saw the appeal in being so defensive of a popular product.... I mean it's doing well so what would solitary comments online do to damage it? Personally I prefer products that are best for me regardless of who makes them.... because I needed wired headphones I recently bought some Sony BT ones that have a port for a wired connection so I can use them with my Nintendo Switch and 3DS. As I don't use my iPad and iPhone for gaming due to the lack of Nintendo-quality games and physical controls. My monitor at home is a Dell one also.... because at the time it was amazing quality, same for my Sony TV and 5.1 systems. BUT (!) for my music-only setup I use Rega speakers. That kind of thing. I always assumed people all did that but the more I read this site and its forums the more I think people would buy Apple branded bandaids if they were available! Maybe I'm wrong. But I'm soooo fascinated by individuals that defend products made by gigantic corporations so much that they disregard the experiences of others.

Background info: I don't care for sports so I don't get the tribalism of it all. Maybe that's it.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
not really keen how multitasking is but apart from that the phone is amazing and has got all the features i've waited for apple to bring out

so glad OLED/wireless charging is here. I use wireless charging each night. Can't remember the last time I needed to plug it in the old way.
Me neither; in the 10 days I've had the X I haven't used the lightning cable once.
[doublepost=1516813360][/doublepost]Coming from an iPhone 8, my X is perfect.

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Me neither; in the 10 days I've had the X I haven't used the lightning cable once.
[doublepost=1516813360][/doublepost]Coming from an iPhone 8, my X is perfect.

Does the x work with the official galaxy s7 wireless charger?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I'm terribly sorry but I'm new to mac fanboyism. Is it such a thing that people disbelieve others opinions because it goes against their own? I used to see similar discussions regarding games consoles in the 90's but I don't spend much time online.... before joining this site I'd literally go on websites for maybe an hour a week (other things to do). So you might have to explain some things to me:

- Why do you feel the need to protect Apple? Do you get anything out of it? Is it because of boredom?

Actually I guess that's my only question. I never saw the appeal in being so defensive of a popular product.... I mean it's doing well so what would solitary comments online do to damage it? Personally I prefer products that are best for me regardless of who makes them.... because I needed wired headphones I recently bought some Sony BT ones that have a port for a wired connection so I can use them with my Nintendo Switch and 3DS. As I don't use my iPad and iPhone for gaming due to the lack of Nintendo-quality games and physical controls. My monitor at home is a Dell one also.... because at the time it was amazing quality, same for my Sony TV and 5.1 systems. BUT (!) for my music-only setup I use Rega speakers. That kind of thing. I always assumed people all did that but the more I read this site and its forums the more I think people would buy Apple branded bandaids if they were available! Maybe I'm wrong. But I'm soooo fascinated by individuals that defend products made by gigantic corporations so much that they disregard the experiences of others.

Background info: I don't care for sports so I don't get the tribalism of it all. Maybe that's it.

Nothing to do with tribalism or defending Apple. Couldn’t care less. What annoys me is the constant narrative going on here where people who do like a product are presented as totally naive or stupid. Just go read that post again: the poster feels sad for people who bought the X. They pity us because we were suckered into buying some unfinished, beta product.

Basically, we’re all naive at best or idiots at worst. The poster didn’t say it directly, but it is implied. Also, their claims are obviously highly subjective, and yet, presented as objective truth. This is not the first time something like this happened here. A year ago, a bunch of people on the forum were claiming anyone who bought and used the new MBP was not a professional. Apparently, my job is not a profession and I bought a 3000 euro MBP to read emails on it. Some of them went as far as to try to “explain my ignorance” with my nationality. And so on.

So these people come and literally make fun of or insult a lot of other people, and when someone reacts, guys like you claim it’s fanboyism. Yeah, right. It’s not fanboyism or tribalism or anything close. I really don’t care what people think about Apple. I don’t work there, I don’t own their stock. But I do get annoyed with all these melodramatic claims and hyperbolic statements that make everyone who like certain products seem like fools or suckers.

Hope I explained it to you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.