Bill Gates Says Apple Should Unlock San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone for FBI [Updated]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Feb 22, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Shortly after Apple was ordered to help the FBI recover data from the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone, Apple quickly said they would oppose the order, garnering the support of other major tech companies like Facebook, Twitter, Google and Microsoft. In a new interview with the Financial Times, former Microsoft CEO Bill Gates has instead backed the FBI, denying that they are asking for a back door.

[​IMG]
    While Apple CEO Tim Cook has consistently argued that unlocking one device would set a dangerous precedent, Gates doesn't believe that it would. He argues that Apple has access to the information, but that they are declining to provide access to the information. Gates compares it to when a bank or telephone company is requested to give up records for a particular person.

Gates went on to say that there were benefits to governments having some access to information, but that there would have to be rules in place to limit how they can access that information. He says that he hopes people will "have that debate so that safeguards are built and so people do not opt out -- and this will be in country by country -- [to say] it is better that the government does not have access to any information."

FBI Director James Comey said in an editorial yesterday that the request was "not trying to set a precedent" and that it was instead about "the victims and justice." However, the FBI also confirmed that it had worked with San Bernardino county officials to reset the iCloud password of San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook. Apple said that, had the FBI not attempted to reset the password, the company would have been able to access the needed information as the iCloud backups would have still been accessible.

The FBI then requested a version of iOS that would remove passcode features like time limits and data erasure measures and other tools to access the iPhone. Apple has maintained that creating such a tool would open a can of worms, setting a dangerous precedent and allowing both bad guys and good guys to take advantage.

Update: In an interview with Bloomberg, Gates said he "was disappointed" with headlines stating he sides with the FBI.
    Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Bill Gates Says Apple Should Unlock San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone for FBI [Updated]

2. drumcat, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016

drumcat macrumors 6502

drumcat

3. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

5. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

When encryption is outlawed, only outlaws will have encryption

6. thasan macrumors 6502a

Eh. I didn't expect this. Is it to increase share of Microsoft mobile phones from 0.x%? :

7. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Not too surprising considering the way Microsoft has been treating privacy (like it doesn't exist).

8. volcomvenom macrumors 65816

volcomvenom

9. pat500000, Feb 22, 2016

pat500000 macrumors 603

pat500000

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 10.45.53 PM.png Bill Gate, you should open your front door for us. This window 10 thing is irking me with all this data collection crap.

Update: hey pink panther... Ahem ... I meant Bill Gate... Tell your friend satya and yourself to stop invading people's privacy. I don't like Microsoft Broken windows.... 2016 edition

Update 2/23/16: You really done it this time...you brought your friends FBI to get 12 more phones...yes?

10. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

"Bill Gates says Apple Should Unlock San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone for FBI"
    Agreed !

11. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Yes, but that isn't the issue.

12. sputnikv, Feb 22, 2016

sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

13. volcomvenom macrumors 65816

volcomvenom

I agree whole-heartedly!

14. Huracan macrumors 6502

Huracan

I don't want my phone being hacked by anyone. Although the FBI motives might be correct I don't think the price we would collectively pay for this is worth the potential benefit. I also very much doubt that phone contains any useful information that the FBI doesn't already know. I believe this is all about setting precedent and getting the American people used to this kind of intrusion.

15. mariusignorello macrumors 6502a

That's why in my house we've switched to all Apple systems and services. Even if Apple does unlock the phone I wouldn't switch back to Microsoft.

16. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

Specific cases are twisted into general cases. That's true of both legal battles and software exploits. Does Gates really not understand this?

Wait a second...Windows security suddenly makes sense!

17. GadgetDon macrumors 6502

GadgetDon

I've got to admit, this really surprises me. He's got the tech savvy to understand the implications of when a tool exists. And he's had enough experience with governments both at Microsoft and his foundation to know that a tool is never used just once.

18. weave macrumors regular

weave

Two comments.

1) Well we know now not to trust Microsoft software (ok, I know he doesn't work there any more but he is their culture).

2) My God that guy is looking old.

19. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

Yeah well...Bill Gates said he felt the need to release Windows ME. Look at what happened after that.

20. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

So disappointing. It's so scary to hear people say "it's just this one case." Today's its this one... but what will they ask for tomorrow. And don't forget people.. the US is NOT the only country in which Apple sells its products. Every other country in the world has just as much right as the US does to demand access to devices sold within their country. And you can be sure that their reasons would not always be as altruistic.

21. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I unfollowed him on Twitter. That'll teach him a lesson.

22. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Damn, this is the anti gun control argument - but I agree with it in this case.

I'm so confused.

23. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm not surprised at all, given that Bill is a proponent of 1 World Govt

24. kds1 Suspended

kds1