Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Blizzard's mac team is extremely small, and I think they have only one guy who is dealing with the engine work for all Blizzard Mac games. He may be extremely busy porting all the current engines to Metal right now, so bring in a completely new game and it won't be possible for one person to do it all.

I'd LOVE to see your source for this information. As has been pointed out, Blizzard is a multi-billion dollar company and the games are enormous sizes. You really think one guy sits around and does all this? If he gets sick, that must be why Blizzard delays the games? LOL.. Sounds like wild speculation to me.

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
Perhaps Blizzard will make Overwatch available on OS X in the future, since Kaplan never explicitly said they'd never make it for Mac.

Not a big deal, since you can just use bootcamp and play.

Can't wait to enjoy this game on medium settings while not even getting 60 FPS – thanks to the 3 year old rebranded AMD GPU Apple decided to ship in my mid 2015 MBP! /s

All jokes aside, it totally Apple's fault Overwatch won't make it to Mac on release day (and possibly never make it in the future if they don't correct their ways of neglecting gaming on OS X). Blizzard isn't stupid, they know that Mac gamers are a tiny demographic compared to PC gamers. Just look at current state of Apple's computer lineup: an ultra thin and ultra portable MacBook without active cooling, that also runs on Intel Core M (which throttles due to thermal restrictions and drops your FPS to poop when you try to play anything on that laptop). Apple's MacBook Air lineup, which offers no discrete graphics but has a fan (still terrible for gaming because integrated GPU). Apple's MacBook Pro lineup: all models have no discrete graphics except for the really expensive high-end one, which happens to have a rebranded AMD GPU from like 3 years ago, so performance for gaming is mediocre for 2015. The iMac lineup, which is kinda similar to what happened with the MacBook Pros (only decent discrete GPU on the expensive high end models, but it could actually game well) and finally the Mac Pro series, which is actually very powerful and can run many games on ultra, but it is crazy expensive. So unless your work requires a Mac Pro – you probably won't be getting one.

TL;DR – The hardware Apple puts in their computers are mostly not meant for gaming. Paired with software that makes it less compelling for game developers than Windows – this makes the argument that 'Macs are bad for gaming’ hold true as of 2015.

I hope it gets better though, I dislike using Windows and would love to do everything I need to in OS X.

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
I'd LOVE to see your source for this information. As has been pointed out, Blizzard is a multi-billion dollar company and the games are enormous sizes. You really think one guy sits around and does all this? If he gets sick, that must be why Blizzard delays the games? LOL.. Sounds like wild speculation to me.
Apple is a multi-billion dollar company too and they can't figure out how to make iOS 9.1 run buttery smooth on my brand new iPhone 6S Plus.

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
Given how they've rolled out Metal on their other games (i.e, not at all), I don't think that's what holding them up here. Plus Metal would limit them to only El Capitan machines (granted, less of an issue in the era of free OS X updates, but still a concern).

As far as Macs having outdated GPUs that would cause a problem running this game, here are the requirements for the PC side:

View attachment 598554

I'm struggling to think of a recent Mac that doesn't meet those specs (other than OS). Even the lowly MacBook has enough GPU power for this game.
Recommended AKA you can play this game on low resolution at medium settings.

dstud208

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
I don't get apples anti-game policy (anti normal rendering tech policy?). I mean surely they understand that the vast majority of people that use computers nowadays like to fire up the odd game and have a go. I'm a LOOOOOONG time Apple fanboy but even in starting to get frustrated. You should not be expected to install a completely different OS to use a computer in a NORMAL way.

Reactions: JosephAW

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
(Thanks, Teyla!)
Please thank everyone who brings you the information, not just cherry pick out the ones you want to thank. I am talking in general, not just about this topic.

Thanks though for bringing this to everyone's attention, this topic that is.

Blizzard's Upcoming Game 'Overwatch' Won't Be Coming to OS X
Overwatch is also not coming to the WiiU (or NX) but I don't see anyone complaining about that. I am not and I am a huge Nintendo fan. Before you say lower end hardware sucks, Xenoblade Chronicles X is a thing for the WiiU and it looks amazing.

I am not saying Overwatch should be on Nintendo hardware. But it should at least be on OS X one day. Blizzard is just finding excuses not to put the effort into putting this on OS X. The tech is there. The high end iMacs are surprisingly good GPU wise. Not the best ever but they can do a lot.

Have you even looked up the specs that are currently required/recommended for the Overwatch beta?

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/19592339053

Q. What are the system requirements for the Closed Beta?
See below!

Minimum (targeting 30fps):
>Operating system: Windows® Vista/7/ 8/10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)
>Processor: Intel® Core™ i3 or AMD Phenom™ X3 865
>Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460, ATI Radeon™ HD 4850, or Intel® HD Graphics 4400
>Memory: 768 MB VRAM, 4 GB System RAM
>Storage: 7200 RPM with 5 GB available HD space

Recommended (targeting 60fps on Medium settings):
> Operating system: Windows® Vista/7/ 8/10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)
> Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 or AMD Phenom™ II X3, 2.8 GHz
> Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 or ATI Radeon™ HD 7950
> Memory: 2 GB VRAM, 6 GB System RAM
> Storage: 7200 RPM with 5 GB available HD space​

The minimum recommended specs, targeting 30 fps, is Intel HD Graphics 4400. The developers have even told all the mac users who got invited to the beta but who cannot install the game to run Windows on their existing hardware. This idea that the hardware is the obstacle is ridiculous.

NVIDIA is also better supporting drivers on OS X in some cards now as well, since Apple doesn't do it.

They wrote a blog detailing it:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/08/31/mac-driver/

And here's a link to the download page:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/89538/en-us

I guess this proves Blizzard is either delaying the OS X version or just not bothering to deal with it at all. A shame really. As it seems from these specs that it's not a Mac hardware issue at all.

Because for Blizzard, Overwatch *is* the odd one. They've been releasing Mac versions on the same day as the PC version for a while now, going back to at least WarCraft III back in 2002.
The first game to ship on the same discs and same day was Diablo 2 in 2000. Before that it was a delay for the Power mac versions. But that was in the days before OS X.

I think it's a (strategical) business decision. Maybe it's Sony and Ms paying a bucket load not to port this game to OS X.
OS X and Nintendo.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Not a big deal, since you can just use bootcamp and play.

I think it is a big deal. Windows isn’t free and I personally despise being dependent on that system. Blizzard is one of the very few developers who were strongly committed to OS X. The Mac community is growing and there should be more game developers committing to the Mac, not fewer. Apple is not making it easier for anyone when game developers don’t bother anymore. Apple has been criticised for years now for stripping the Mac of dependencies, libraries and Rosetta. Maybe at some point even Steam will be able to bring more games to Linux than to OS X, Apple doesn’t seem to care as long as it can sell more iOS devices.

Reactions: Lexdexia

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
I think it is a big deal. Windows isn’t free and I personally despise being dependent on that system. Blizzard is one of the very few developers who were strongly committed to OS X. The Mac community is growing and there should be more game developers committing to the Mac, not fewer. Apple is not making it easier for anyone when major developers don’t bother anymore. Maybe at some point even Steam will be able to bring more games to Linux than to OS X.
Agreed, I hate booting into Windows as well, but hey what can I do? It's not like I'll boycott a game I've been looking forward to playing for such a long time because the developers aren't supporting my preferred OS. It looks like Apple may be taking gaming more seriously now with Metal for Mac, and perhaps in the future they'll actually ship dedicated graphics in all of their Pro MacBook lineup instead of cheaping out with Intel integrated graphics. Only then, developing games for OS X will make sense – both financially and technologically. Mac sales outpacing PC sales would help too.

But as of now, desktop gaming on OS X is about the same quality as mobile gaming on Android – not profitable enough.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
But as of now, desktop gaming on OS X is about the same quality as mobile gaming on Android – not profitable enough.

Saying OS X desktop gaming is mobile quality is just totally wrong. But the section I highlighted is probably the reason for this. Not enough of a market for the game to make it profitable.

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
I guess this proves Blizzard is either delaying the OS X version or just not bothering to deal with it at all. A shame really. As it seems from these specs that it's not a Mac hardware issue at all.

Majority of Apple computers have integrated graphics which are terrible for gaming. Theoretically you can 'run' Overwatch, but at terrible low resolution and lowest possible settings to get the tolerable 60 FPS required for fast paced shooters. Minority of Apple computers have dedicated graphics, these are all mobile GPUs (even in iMacs) and some are even rebranded 3 years old cards sold as 'brand new'. Also the recommended specs will only get you 60 FPS at medium settings. Making the game look less appealing to play.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Overwatch is also not coming to the WiiU (or NX) but I don't see anyone complaining about that. I am not and I am a huge Nintendo fan. Before you say lower end hardware sucks, Xenoblade Chronicles X is a thing for the WiiU and it looks amazing.

Blizzard is partnering with Microsoft for Overwatch. Why would it be released for the WiiU (or NX) ? Many companies are now making marketing agreements that exclude their competitors. Why should it be any different for Blizzard / Microsoft ?

Majority of Apple computers have integrated graphics which are terrible for gaming. Theoretically you can 'run' Overwatch, but at terrible low resolution and lowest possible settings to get the tolerable 60 FPS required for fast paced shooters.

We will have to wait and see but I believe that the majority of newer Apple computers will get OK frame rates playing Overwatch under bootcamp. It's not as much a hardware issue as a Blizzard / Microsoft marketing issue.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Majority of Apple computers have integrated graphics which are terrible for gaming. Theoretically you can 'run' Overwatch, but at terrible low resolution and lowest possible settings to get the tolerable 60 FPS required for fast paced shooters. Minority of Apple computers have dedicated graphics, these are all mobile GPUs (even in iMacs) and some are even rebranded 3 years old cards sold as 'brand new'. Also the recommended specs will only get you 60 FPS at medium settings. Making the game look less appealing to play.
It's not about 60 fps. Blizzard have stated they are aiming for 30fps as a base minimum (up to a recommend 60 fps). Many people have quoted Blizzard saying this officially.

The issue is not about making the game look good. The issue is about being able to play the game at all. Most of us will take a resolution or other graphical hit if it means we can play the game on OS X. The minimum system requorements are not all that high. "Intel® HD Graphics 4400" for crying out loud. That's not even a dedeicated GPU.

I think it's time some people get out of the "I only accept max resolution and 60 fps" frame of mind. Many of us will accept a lower resolution and fps just to play the game on OS X.
Blizzard is partnering with Microsoft for Overwatch. Why would it be released for the WiiU (or NX) ? Many companies are now making marketing agreements that exclude their competitors. Why should it be any different for Blizzard / Microsoft ?
Fair enough. No compalints there from me. But I guess that MS exclusivity contract does not extend to Sony as it's on the PS4 as well. Sony is not MS at all but the game is on the PS4.

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
Saying OS X desktop gaming is mobile quality is just totally wrong. But the section I highlighted is probably the reason for this. Not enough of a market for the game to make it profitable.
If you think about it:
Desktop games - Windows first, OS X second
Mobile games - iOS first, Android second

Not always, but this is mostly the case. And that's why I made such a comparison.

Reactions: JosephAW

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If you think about it:
Desktop games - Windows first, OS X second
Mobile games - iOS first, Android second

Not always, but this is mostly the case. And that's why I made such a comparison.
That is true for one main reason. More revenue doing it the way you said it. That simple. Less revenue to be made at the moment for OS X and android games or ports of games.

I might just see how this game performs on bootcamp when others play the beta of it there.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I got huge hopes for thunderbolt 3, because it allows external GPUs (officially). Just imagine a top of the line desktop GPU plugged into your MacBook Pro...:rolleyes: If that doesn't spark Mac gaming, nothing ever will (unfortunately).

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
This is all pretty interesting. I guess the issue is why Apple doesn't do anything about it. It doesn't seem like a particularly challenging issue to make the platform friendlier for game developers. So why don't they do it?

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Have you even looked up the specs that are currently required/recommended for the Overwatch beta?

The minimum recommended specs, targeting 30 fps, is Intel HD Graphics 4400.
Which is not in the same league as the other two cards. The GTX 460 exceeds the current RMBP 15'' DGPU. The Intel spec requirement is faulty.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Fair enough. No compalints there from me. But I guess that MS exclusivity contract does not extend to Sony as it's on the PS4 as well. Sony is not MS at all but the game is on the PS4.

I'm assuming that the PS4 is such a big market that Blizzard demanded that the PS4 also get Overwatch.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
I'm assuming that the PS4 is such a big market that Blizzard demanded that the PS4 also get Overwatch.
Which makes any partnering agreements pointless. Most 3rd party companies already don't target the WiiU - and lets face it, OSX barely exists on the radar games wise.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I see the gameplay demo video, and honestly it doesn't look like anything all that incredible or demanding, graphics-wise. A highly stylized, low-texture kind of look like the Borderlands games. Some shiny laser-beam gun type effects. Is this really something that any modern computer couldn't handle?

I'm not a huge gamer, but does anyone else share my feeling that a lot of today's games don't really look that much more advanced, graphically speaking, than what we say 5+ years ago? I mean I know they are, but it's not proportionate to how hardware capabilities have scaled. System requirements just keep going up and up, and the return seems to be diminishing.

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
you think you are really smart huh?
microsoft has directx and wmv.
I repeat. SO what.
WMP will play most MP4 files you are likely to come across out of the box. There is more info here but, here’s a snippet for the Windows Phone, (the desktop version is likely even better);
Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 16.05.12.jpg

This is kind of the restriction that Apple pose to developers. I wouldn’t be surprised to find that Apple have provided a path for them to walk, good, but it’s full of locked gates and dog crap to slip on.
Same applies to Metal and game support. If you want to eductae me on how simple it is for devs to go the Apple way then I’m all ears.
Apple haven’t taken the time to support other formats. M$ have.

Teyla

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I am a huge Blizzard fan. I've been playing Blizzard games since the mid 90's when Warcraft 1 and 2 came out. I am deeply disappointed that Overwatch won't be available on the Mac. I do have Windows 10 Installed on my new Late 2015 iMac, but I prefer to play on the Mac side.

Honestly, I think the blame falls somewhere in the middle. Apple needs to do a better job supporting gamers and games. The El Capitan should have the latest OpenGL standards in it, not ones from 5 years ago! Apple could also be putting better GPUs in its systems, even if it costs a little more.

Blizzard, also deserves some of the blame. If they wanted to, they could create a Mac version of overwatch that requires 10.11 to utilize Metal. As many other posters have said, it would be less of an issue since Apple has been releasing updates for free for a couple years now. On the other hand, I just read that Blizzard is about to retire support for 10.8, and it came out over 3 years ago! When did Vista come out again? Why is that POS OS still being supported?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.