Blurry Leaked Images Depict Alleged 'Apple OLED TV' in Testing Facility [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Strigoi macrumors member

The first TV that you have to setup with it's display facing the wall ;)

2. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I'll believe it when I see it.

If it's real, I wouldn't mind it having a camera to play games like Xbox Kinect, as long as privacy is respected, of course.

I seriously doubt it'll happen, but I wouldn't mind it having a touch display, too. I work in a school, and all the classrooms have SMART boards (smarttech.com) where it's basically a big, 60"+ touchscreen for your computer. Helps with games & educational apps. Like I said, I doubt it'll happen. Even then, the ones my school has are thousands of dollars each (we have a very generous PTO), and need a separate LCD projector to actually show the picture on it. Add in the Apple Tax, and you get prohibitively expensive.

3. PaulRustad007 macrumors 6502

PaulRustad007

Would Apple really place a 10" Logo on the back in a testing facility? Really?

4. Marx55 macrumors 68000

5. Shlooky macrumors regular

I wonder if they would incorporate the Apple TV box within the TV, making it an Apple Smart TV if you will.

6. lockhartt macrumors member

There are no VESA mount holes on the back of this thing. Who would buy a 60" TV and not want to mount it on the wall (or at least have the option)?

Seems weird to me... though I suppose a prototype may lack such amenities. But the overall construction of this device does not seem like it would lend itself to adding VESA mount holes as the depth seems to shallow (and placing them in the thicker component area at the base would be awkwardly offset).

Stranger (and dumber) things have happened, but this looks more like something designed to be a computer monitor, size aside; though I'd still expect to see VESA mount holes on a monitor.

I'm intrigued, but skeptical.

7. techortreat macrumors member

techortreat

8. Bigsk8r, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017

Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

As an Electromagnetic Compliance Engineer myself, I can verify the validity of the statements made by Gaspode67 and Arran with regard to the testing.

Also - as Gaspode67 points out - given Apple's propensity for wanting to embed their metal products with plastic logos and openings (AKA... RF noise emitting apertures), it is hard to determine how close to "final" this product might be. Having said that though, as a person waiting for something better than the 24" LED Display he has now and did not see the extra 3" that were offered before as worthy of a $1000 investment, this does interest me and I hope it's a product that makes it out eventually.

There is also the possibility that this is another companies product with an Apple log skillfully photoshopped in.

9. spiffers Suspended

10. Gaspode67 macrumors regular

Gaspode67

Nice to get the back-up, Bigsk8r! While I'm not an EMC Compliance Engineer myself, I've been an electronics engineer for 26 years, and I've spent many hours with guys like yourself, testing products we've developed. It was always nice going to a couple of the test houses I used to go to, as it guaranteed a decent Country Pub Lunch as a perk!;);)

11. belvdr macrumors 603

The vast majority at that time were not smart phones. Apple really brought smart phone technology to the masses with something folks saw they could use.

I'm not sure they can add something of real value to a television set though.

12. Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

Nice... I work for ETS-Lindgren now and we used to have an office in Stevenage that I was fortunate enough to go to in December, 2015.

13. Erdbeertorte Suspended

This is almost certainly an 8K 60-inch Cinema Display with a docking option for the new Mac Mini on the back.

14. teamgibbs macrumors member

teamgibbs

If it is indeed real, for all we know they have been sitting on this literally for years. My point is the project could be very mature at this stage. They probably develop and chase all kinds of ideas and products that never see the light of day.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What's going to happen sooner or later is these testing facilities will have metal detectors and people who go there will be permitted to bring inside any electronic devices.

16. brock2621, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017

brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

This was posted yesterday in the forums and I took it into photoshop and found it was faked (there was a box over the apple logo). It looks like the poster actually deleted the entire original thread and then took the photos and blurred them a ton MORE and reposted them to try and hide the fact it was faked. The ones posted yesterday were much more clear.

Here's the less blurry original version and here's what shows up when running error level analysis: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

"Why is Apple making a phone? There are billions of them. They won't even make a dent"

Because tvs are boring and the innovation is about as exciting as your grandmas stamp collection. Just like Steve jobs said when he was asked and excitedly told us what could happen with the tv industry, the user interface needs to be completely redone for a seamless experience. With apple coming strong with the homepod this year, they clearly want to make a play for being in everybody's living room. The tv USED to be what everybody looked at before staring at your phone like a zombie became the norm. If anybody can make watching tv on a real tv exciting again, it's apple.

Check it. Jobs' vision for tv CLEARLY wasn't the current gen Apple TV box you hook up.

18. jgdeschamps macrumors regular

They are testing 3D Virtual Reality without glasses for desktop use, and they came up with this huge monitor for the future modular Mac Pro. You have to place the display in front of you at no more than 12" away from you. It features self-focusing pixels that achieve a 3D effect depending on where you are looking at and the way you rotate your head. It also features 3D Touch compatible with Unity or Unreal Engine out of the box. Expandable audio for up to 7 HomePods for surround sound. And that's my Wall Street-level analysis...

19. zoomp macrumors member

Actually the percetual resolution gain is no so obvious. Tons of hollywood films are still being finished in 2k (tad more than HD).

Good actual evidence by a very well informed and positioned DoP (next star war film will be shot by him):
    http://yedlin.net/ResDemo/ResDemoPt2.html

20. jtrenthacker macrumors regular

If this is true (a big IF), then I assume Apple will have all the latest specs and goodies like 4k, OLED, HDR10 & DolbyVision. Add a metal (aluminum?) enclosure and maybe things like a FaceTime camera & mic, built in TVOS and most likely decent speaker system (for a flat panel) and there is no way most people are going to pay what Apple is going to ask. I figure 55" $4999 and 60" $5999.

I'd rather pay less than half that for bleeding edge performance from the likes of LG, Samsung and Sony.

21. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Haaaaaa. Thanks for the laugh
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2017 ---
    I think the human mind is an interesting thing. Like how people take the internet and what it tells them SO seriously that they're ready to believe things based on nothing.

Apple has said no to things that we are currently using right this second.

22. melancholy macrumors regular

melancholy

1B9FE041-38EB-45C0-8ABE-01F3CBD1E751.jpeg
    This could be believable. We saw iOS 7 taken from a blurry shot by another phone. It was like taken by a phone by another phone. And it was only iOS 7 with some minor changes. Game Center icon with the circles confirms this

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

As Another forum member already indicated to you , You do realize this was in testing, right? There is no sufficient evidence this is launching in September. Furthermore, how are you able to decipher the design looking "Decent" off a blurred photo?

24. Armandodj macrumors member

Armandodj

Thoughts! Keep dreaming people, Apple TV Oled, $3500 base model, yeah! Right! This is too funny!!!!!!

25. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Yeah, they also missed the 50$ cell phone boat. Apple is doomed.