Borderlands

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Mr. lax, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Okayy, so after getting it today, i've played 3 hours or so. I'm level 8 of 50, and my level progression is slowing down substantially. I'm playing as roland (The Soldier) and i'm absolutely loving it. This is an absolute must buy for anyone with a real gaming system 9.6/10

Please post your characters, as well as system you are using.

Feel free to ask any questions you want.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

"for a real gaming system" !!

Please clarify.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think he means PC, since it's the best system out there for gaming on. But he posted this in the console section so I'm quite confused!

4. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Considering it doesn't come out until next week on PC (at least in the US), I assume it is a PS3 or X360 fanboy jab.

5. capoeirista macrumors 6502

I tried to play it on my hypothetical PS3, but tbh I didn't rate it.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

9.6 out of 10? Wow, with a whole 3 hours under your belt? Considering the "tutorial" is supposed to be around 2 hours or so....

And why 9.6?

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So far so good...it reminds me of Fallout 3 and thats a good thing because thats what I was looking for. I really wish they didn't have so much animal type enemies and more humanoid type but I can live with it. I also wish the friendly NPC wasn't static and actually moved around the environment...its makes it feel more lively to me.

Its a good game so far but there are frame rate drops, texture pops ON BOTH CONSOLE VERSION---->MRU!

The PS3 version is suffering from a friends list glitch at this time that I hope it will be fix in time for me to co-op.

PS...don't you guys ever get tired of the fanboy BS...real gaming system my arse!

Bless

8. McShizzel macrumors regular

I don't know if I should get this, I have couple of friends who picked it up and would be fun to play co-op with them but then again I have a pre-order for Forza Motorsport 3 this upcoming Tuesday.

I need more money :D

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL.. I didn't say anything..... Was that a pre-emptive MRU post :D:p

I'm bored with Brutal Legends, so I'm tempted to trade it in at the end of the week and get Borderlands and give it a try. I had considered getting Fairytale Fights, but the fact it has been released without being reviewed yet smells ominous, so Borderlands looks more worthwhile.

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I just need to convince 3 of my friends to pick this up, as multiplayer is why is why the reviews I read liked it. They're selling a 4 pack on STEAM at a reduced price.

I'm pretty sure Mr Lax's flame comment was a jab at the Wii, so in that case, Jimmi's response was very appropriate. :p

11. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I'm going to get it, but I'll wait a bit. I've got Forza 3 and Ratchet and Clank coming next week!

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Just picked up the last copy in my local Best Buy and used some "rewards" money for it. :) Will report back in a day or two.

13. soldierblue macrumors 6502

Reviews are good. Checked out the Xbox version at a friends. Will definitely be buying it.

For the PC, that is.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I bought the PS3 version today. Was only €40 - 10% loyalty card = €36. Very cheap for a new release, so I didn't bother trading in anything towards it. :)

Question is how much time will I spend on it given I'm already playing 'a boy & his blob', 'uncharted 2', 'demon's souls', 'brutal legend' and 'ratchet' is out next week too..... :eek:

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

First impression is good of the environment, however I am being vexed by the game. I started a character in coop as soldier. Saw a couple of shiny new pistols, picked them up, used them quite a bit and when I tried cycling back to my rifle, it was gone. I don't remember seeing anything saying I was giving up my rifle. Went back to where I picked up pistols and no rifle laying on ground. Ok so I tough it out as a soldier without my primary weapon, finally get to a point where I can buy a new weapons I think (at the vendor in town), purchase something called a SMG, could that be sub-machine gun? Anyway after purchase I can't pull that up either. Just have my two shiny pistols.

Also, when we started it was splitscreen coop. We both created characters, played for about an hour and then we quit, the game said "saving content" . Now when we restart the game, both of our characters show as level 1 and the game is starting over from the beginning. :(

Is this newb problems or am I looking at some kind of bug? Any sincere advice appreciated. :)

update: Ok figured out that when u pick up a new weapon you drop whatever you are holding. I'm not sure if what you drop is laying on the ground and can be picked up a second time. We are still seeing an issue where there is a weapons cache, with a sub machine gun SMG, my partner, a hunter picks it up, it disappears from the cache, but it is not in his inventory. If it is a weapon he can't equip, why is the game allowing him to pick it up? Can anyone confirm the most you can carry is 2 guns? Thanks.

We also figured out that at the start of the game, you can select characters from you saved game but it is not obvious until you try it a couple of times.

The only save message I have seen is when you quit the game. Does anyone know if this game auto saves as you progress, or should you be quitting the game every so often to save? I'm thinking of power outages...

Update2: Most of vexes solved. Back button, scroll through categories to see backpack and equipment including weapons being carried. Still not sure if you drop weps when new wep picked up, maybe depends on if all your slots are full. Good game for coop. Really like the graphic style! :D

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think its a little smaller than Fallout 3 so its an extensive game to say the least.

How about we get some co-op going for the people with the PS3 version...I won't be able to play this weekend but I'll be able to play the next weekend...now I wonder if Ed will get the game.

I haven't played it much since I got it because Demon's Souls is owning me at the moment and I just can't get enough of it.

Bless

17. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I was reading that while some places have broken street date and are selling the PC version early, the game is set up so it won't let you play until the 26th. Yay.

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Im in for next weekend :D

Ugh I have this, which is still unopened, Uncharted 2, ODST, Godfather 2 (crappy yet fun as hell), and just tonight Dragon Quest IV on DS ($7!!! BRAND NEW)... and essays up the ass to do, work is psycho! MY GOD CHRISTMAS BREAK CAN'T COME FAST ENOUGH!

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

So sure I'm playing tons and tons of Uncharted 2 every night, and sure I've been playing some games on my new PSP Go, and sure I've got Forza 3 and Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time pre-ordered, but a friend convinced me to buy this so we could play some co-op tomorrow night.... So, I'll probably pick it up tomorrow morning.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This game is growing on me. Coop is great, if I was playing this solo, it would still be o.k. at this point.

When I made my "vexed" post (a couple posts up), I was thinking more of Halo (carry 2 weapons) vs RPG (backpack with lots of stuff carried). Unlike Halo, you don't drop a gun when you pick up a new gun. The old gun goes into the backpack until it is full (12 items) and then (I think) you get a message that your backpack is full.

Backpack= back button, then LB to scroll through the categories.

My two outstanding questions:

1. Can you sell stuff at a vendor? (I've not found an option for it). Right now it looks like you must toss extra stuff on the ground.

2. Does the game auto save progress? When we quit the game there is a "don't turn off console while we save your game" message. I'm wondering if this is the only time it happens? Thinking of power loss and you'd hate to lose a bunch of progress.

Thanks!

21. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1. Yep. Select R1 or L1 to change from buy to sell and then simply select the items you wish to sell.

2. Yep there is an autosave when you go to a regenerator or move to new area and there's a load, or when you complete a task.

23. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the info. With 12 slots I've found there is not much space for carrying extra stuff to vendor.

For number two like when you turn in a quest? That would be very good.

I experienced that yesterday. ;)

25. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

You'll see the spinny white icon when it autosaves, otherwise it's not that hard to quit every time you finish just to be sure.

So far I'm a lvl 17 soldier. Close to 18. Been playing a lot of co-op.