Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H.B.I.C

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Where's the pics or didn't happen crew?

I don't know why it would matter.

The SN# that is listed on the phone/iTunes does not match the box.

So you would see a 16GB iPhone box, with a 32GB phone listed in iTunes.

Then i'd have people saying i'm making this up.

I agree with others. I guess I got lucky.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Just a quick thought - If the seller in fact had a 16 and 32, why would he open both of them...after opening one he would have known that there is no difference, because there is no designation of the capacity of the unit.

I'm gonna have to side with the buyer here...If the seller states that it is unopened then it should in fact be unopened. Not just resealed with 'iPlastic'.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Just a quick thought - If the seller in fact had a 16 and 32, why would he open both of them...after opening one he would have known that there is no difference, because there is no designation of the capacity of the unit.

I'm gonna have to side with the buyer here...If the seller states that it is unopened then it should in fact be unopened. Not just resealed with 'iPlastic'.

Thats because sarcasticdesign lied...the story is fake. He's just trying to make the OP feel guilty.

MarkMissoula

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008

I agree, like the sellers that buy DVD's watch them and reseal and sell them as new.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
WAIT... if OP says hes not with AT&T then what is he doing with the iphone4?

Please Correct me if im wrong but i thought there isnt an unlock out for it yet.

Scorch07

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
I mean I think it's pretty obvious what happened here. The seller took them out, took pics, then put them back in the wrong boxes and re-sealed them.

It's completely the seller's mistake and they have to take the hit for it, especially considering they lied in the description as far as I'm concerned.

H.B.I.C

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I mean I think it's pretty obvious what happened here. The seller took them out, took pics, then put them back in the wrong boxes and re-sealed them.

It's completely the seller's mistake and they have to take the hit for it, especially considering they lied in the description as far as I'm concerned.

Um, I don't think the seller would open/repackage the item.

I think the mix-up happened at the factory in China.

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
Keep it, seller either messed up and lied about it (going by you word on this) or the Factory messed up.

Worst case, seller made plenty of profit, he/she can refund the 16GB one and resell it as a 16GB, most he is out around $100 and shipping. Sorry the price of HIS mistake not yours.

I once sold a Jacket in a yard sale with $200 in it. Once I realized this I didn't expect it to come back (and it didn't)

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

I used to sell some expensive gadget items on eBay a few years back. If you are selling an item as new in box, you DON'T OPEN IT. PERIOD!

H.B.I.C

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I'm also wondering if it's unlocked (wishful thinking)... I'll have my Noosy Micro sim cutter on Wednesday, so I'll be able to try a T-mobile sim card in it.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
check all the other numbers on the box.

there should be a sim number as well. Does that match with the phone?

Just because the SN: doesn't match, just make sure all the numbers don't match.

It could even be as simple as someone placed the wrong sticker or label on the wrong box as it went down the line.

I think it's a factory mistake and yes there is somewhere out there a 32GB owner with a 16GB phone. But not in any way connected with the reseller.

H.B.I.C

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
check all the other numbers on the box.

there should be a sim number as well. Does that match with the phone?

Just because the SN: doesn't match, just make sure all the numbers don't match.

It could even be as simple as someone placed the wrong sticker or label on the wrong box as it went down the line.

I think it's a factory mistake and yes there is somewhere out there a 32GB owner with a 16GB phone. But not in any way connected with the reseller.

I just popped the sim card slot out and the SN# printed on the sim card slot doesn't match the printed SN on the box.

So it had to be a factory mix up.

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
After careful consideration, i have come to the conclusion that almost everyone replying in this thread is totally retarded, apart from the OP and a few sensible individuals. :cool:

So flame me. Do i care?

He got lucky, nobody lost out. Seller got the money he wanted, little did he know it was a 32gb device instead of a 16gb. Who cares? It was someone in China's fault. Doesnt matter.

Why cant all the retarded fanboys just be happy for a fellow Apple fan?

Pushkar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
SW London, UK
I just popped the sim card slot out and the SN# printed on the sim card slot doesn't match the printed SN on the box.

So it had to be a factory mix up.

Doesn't have to be, Could be a mistake on the seller's part, no matter how much they were charging. If the seller realises her mistake, and asks for it back then I'd give it back, I'm not sure if there is any legal obligation or anything like that but it is morally wrong.

If it truly is a factory mixup, Congratulations and you've got yourself some extra space.

As for everyone who is saying "It's the Sellers fault" etc, Yes they may have have made a mix-up but if you were in that position, then you know - you'd be pissed off as well. You never know the situation that the seller is in, might be selling it to feed their kids etc.

But again, if the seller asks for it back, I think you should return it - but if it's a factory mistake then Well Done.

H.B.I.C

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
After careful consideration, i have come to the conclusion that almost everyone replying in this thread is totally retarded, apart from the OP and a few sensible individuals. :cool:

So flame me. Do i care?

He got lucky, nobody lost out. Seller got the money he wanted, little did he know it was a 32gb device instead of a 16gb. Who cares? It was someone in China's fault. Doesnt matter.

Why cant all the retarded fanboys just be happy for a fellow Apple fan?

Thanks, That "I am the seller" dude was so annoying.. Bless him.

LOL

oh, And we all know.. They will NEVER be happy.

H.B.I.C

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Doesn't have to be, Could be a mistake on the seller's part, no matter how much they were charging. If the seller realises her mistake, and asks for it back then I'd give it back, I'm not sure if there is any legal obligation or anything like that but it is morally wrong.

If it truly is a factory mixup, Congratulations and you've got yourself some extra space.

As for everyone who is saying "It's the Sellers fault" etc, Yes they may have have made a mix-up but if you were in that position, then you know - you'd be pissed off as well. You never know the situation that the seller is in, might be selling it to feed their kids etc.

But again, if the seller asks for it back, I think you should return it - but if it's a factory mistake then Well Done.

Yup, Factory sealed, box said 16GB.
I only noticed it was a 32GB when i was syncing it to iTunes and registering the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.