Breaking news iPod touch 6 confirmed

iDivergent

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
I can see a 4.7 inch touch but never a 5.5.

I will only buy a 5.5" iPod Touch to replace a iPad Mini, i currently have a iPod Touch 5G and i won't like to replace my current iPod 5G with a 4.7" iPod because then i won't use my 5G anymore, when a 5.5" will be released than i can use it to replace a iPad Mini and so i can buy a big latest iPad ;)

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I will only buy a 5.5" iPod Touch to replace a iPad Mini, i currently have a iPod Touch 5G and i won't like to replace my current iPod 5G with a 4.7" iPod because then i won't use my 5G anymore, when a 5.5" will be released than i can use it to replace a iPad Mini and so i can buy a big latest iPad ;)
Sounds like a plan. I hope it works out for ya. :)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

And that's why they won't make one.

----------

Oh i could see it. Think about it. The iPod shuffle & nano are the traditional music only iPods. The touch is more of a gaming, web surfing, picture taking, movie watching device now. Sounds like an ipad to me. In fact, I think that's why they will be updated along with the iPads this year instead of with the iPhones as they usually are. So a 5.5" iPod touch will basically be an ipad nano. This could totally happen, makes perfect sense. I could see a 4.7" iPod touch too. Perhaps both. The 4.7" could remain the iPod touch and the 5.5" could be renamed the ipad nano. Hey, could happen. :)

I think such a move would explode slumping iPod touch sales.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Apple does not need to explode the iPod touch sales at the expense of the iPad mini. A 5.5 inch would cost $100 more than the current iPod as well.

Pagandeva2000

macrumors member
May 3, 2013
You can definitely use your iPhone as s touch once disconnected from phone service. My 5c functioned like one once I got my Plus. Was still getting facebook real time notifications and was able to play games. Since I already had a functioning 5th generation Touch, I set the 5c to factory settings and returned it to Sprint for credit.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
And that's why they won't make one.

----------

Apple does not need to explode the iPod touch sales at the expense of the iPad mini. A 5.5 inch would cost $100 more than the current iPod as well.
I do not buy that argument. That's like saying Apple will never release an iPad mini because it'd canabilize the ipad. Um...well they did...and it didn't. Hello. News flash....it's ALL Apple. And to them its all good. In fact, the more product lines they introduce, the more people seem to buy multiple devices. I would argue that if Apple did release a 5.5" iPod, I could see people buy it in droves in addition to a iPad mini or an iPad Air.

So this whole canibilazation argument doesn't hold water. Never did. Never will.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
All I want is 128gb of storage, I am at less than 8gb available on my 64gb touch 5g. I have apps on my touch, but I honestly rarely use them. It's pretty much exclusively used as a music player hooked to my in-dash stereo. They could even keep the same small form factor and I'd be happy. A processor and memory bump would be nice to allow it to be somewhat futureproof.

BabyFu18

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
Georgia
I've been sticking with my iPod Classic because the touches don't have enough space for me and I prefer to have all my music on my iPod and I have more than 64gb of music in iTunes. If they bump up the storage space on the iPod touches I'd buy one for sure since I use my iPod every single day.

elliwhi

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2011
UK
Why can't you wait ? Are you going to get the iPad Air 2 ?
Well my fate will be revealed because I would like the ipod touch 6 to come out on that date, but if that fails I guess I'll have to get the iPad mini which will help a lot with school :p

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Well my fate will be revealed because I would like the ipod touch 6 to come out on that date, but if that fails I guess I'll have to get the iPad mini which will help a lot with school :p
I'm also looking for the Touch 6 or the rMini 2 but I'm doubtful either of them will come out this year.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I agree with previous posters. 4.7 iPod Touch 6 but not a 5.5". They're not going to invest in a higher end iPod line when customers are willing to fork out $1000+ dollars for an iPhone 6+ (I'm referring to CDN prices). If we put that in US perspective that's still 850+ per phone. Yeah, no way.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I agree with previous posters. 4.7 iPod Touch 6 but not a 5.5". They're not going to invest in a higher end iPod line when customers are willing to fork out $1000+ dollars for an iPhone 6+ (I'm referring to CDN prices). If we put that in US perspective that's still 850+ per phone. Yeah, no way.

You are right. Plus the touch is a small market and they won't make two devices for it and definitely not a 5.5 one will HD screen. Not Apple like.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
You are right. Plus the touch is a small market and they won't make two devices for it and definitely not a 5.5 one will HD screen. Not Apple like.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a 5.5" iPod touch. Think about it. The iPod touch is more of an ipad than an iPod. I believe Apple didn't update the iPod touch with the iPhones this year because the product is evolving. It doesn't just do music. It's more of a device to surf the web, send emails, watch videos, play games on etc. Sounds more like an ipad to me. So I think it make sense that Apple might update the iPod touch alongside the iPads at the Oct 16th event. And if they do, I think a 5.5" version is totally possible. They could even rename it an ipad nano.

iDivergent

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
I thought i saw somewhere that the iPod 6G will start with lowest storage at 349€
So they might make it heavier like previous models

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Take existing iPod5

Add:

128GB storage
A8
2gigs RAM
GPS

No other changes necessary! And they will have at least one sale to me :cool:

I don't want a bigger IPod Touch.

That's defeating the purpose.

Of course what would be nice would be also addition of

Waterproof
Sapphire screen
LED notification
GSM radio
FM radio
Even smaller form factor because bezels reduced to zero.
2+ day battery life
Double DPI from current.

But then that would be the iPhone 7.

Hmm...

:)

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Take existing iPod5

Add:

128GB storage
A8
2gigs RAM
GPS

No other changes necessary! And they will have at least one sale to me :cool:

I don't want a bigger IPod Touch.

That's defeating the purpose.

Of course what would be nice would be also addition of

Waterproof
Sapphire screen
LED notification
GSM radio
FM radio
Even smaller form factor because bezels reduced to zero.
2+ day battery life
Double DPI from current.

But then that would be the iPhone 7.

Hmm...

:)
Well, you can cross Sapphire screen off that list for sure. GTAT is declaring bankruptcy and there aint no way the iPod touch would get one while the iPhones didn't. Nope.

I guess there are things we'd all personally like to see. I wouldn't mind if Apple increased the screen size and offered either a 4.7" or 5.5" or both. I've already stated my theory of why I think this is a very real possibility because the iPod touch is more ipad than iPod. But I also wouldn't mind if the size stayed the same either. As long as it got a faster chip(which is a given), an NFC chip like the iPhones so it can do Apple Pay, better camera & 128GB storage.

If they are going to be updated this year, it'll happen on Thursdays event along with the iPads. Which I'm pretty sure will happen. The tag line for the event is "Its been too long" ....hmmm. That definitely applies to the iPod touch more than iPads or even iMacs.

Should be interesting.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
While this is good news, the iPod Touch is usually updated on even years. So I wouldn't really consider this to be "breaking" news :)
IF this is true, I'd consider it sad that the Mac "RUMORS" site had absolutely ZERO rumors about a new iPod Touch and it's almost the supposed release date.

The iPod Touch is long overdue for those of us that don't want to pay $70+ a month for an iPhone just to use the Internet at work when the boss isn't looking (i.e. I can use the Net in places where I'd actually need it like hotels and restaurants quite easily on an iPod Touch most of the time). IF this is for real, the only bad part for me is I could use the new iPod Touch sooner rather than later as I have a trip coming up where it would come in very handy given my 4th Gen has battery issues and a crap still camera anyway (necessitating me to carry around a separate camera for photos). So unless it's in stores literally this week, it won't be helpful to me in the short term. I suppose I could buy an unlocked iPhone for 2x as much that I'd never get any use out of the Cell functions as I don't want to pay that much per month, but this trip is costing me enough as it is.

If anything, it will just be a spec bump so that it can support future iOS. I wouldn't expect a redesign of any kind. There's just no market for the iPod line. It will probably be entirely gone within the next few years.
If true, that's a sad statement about society paying through the nose for phone and data service all so they can walk out into traffic and get hit by a bus. People need to turn their damn cell phones off already and concentrate on driving and walking. I'm sick of seeing everyone holding a damn phone to their ear while swerving all over the road. An iPod Touch mitigates this since you can only use it in WiFi areas like Restaurants and Hotels and your own house. Plus with the monthly savings (I pay $8 a month for cell service for emergencies and occasional family calls), I can buy a brand new Macbook Pro every other year instead. I wonder if people paying out the nose EVER stop to think about how much $70+ a month adds up over a very short period of time.

Entirely gone within the next few years since everyone uses a phone instead? What a sad sad world. They might as well offer an "adult" smart phone that they can make out with since people are practically mated to the things 24/7. I can't wait to see the future brain tumor statistics over the next couple of decades spike along with thumb joint surgeries (that are already spiking). Is it really worth it, people to tweet that you're walking down the street...SPLAT. Oops, too bad you didn't see that bus you were so busy telling someone you were walking down the street on Twitter.... :eek:

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The tag line for the event is "Its been too long" ....hmmm. That definitely applies to the iPod touch more than iPads or even iMacs.
Most analyst believe that it refers to either the Apple TV or Mac Mini.

IF this is true, I'd consider it sad that the Mac "RUMORS" site had absolutely ZERO rumors about a new iPod Touch and it's almost the supposed release date.
It's not just Mac Rumors. I wonder how many people will be surprised if Apple doesn't even mention the Touch on Thursday ?

volodymyrqa

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Kyiv, Ukraine
I really wish apple to update iTouch, it have been a while since last announcement. But it seems they will not release it this year.

No leaks about it. Not a single leak... It's impossible. Sorry guys, but i would not wait..

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I really wish apple to update iTouch, it have been a while since last announcement. But it seems they will not release it this year.

No leaks about it. Not a single leak... It's impossible. Sorry guys, but i would not wait..
I'd wait at least until Thursday tho. To see if they update them along with the iPads.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Would it be possible that Ipod touch 6 would come with Plastic Iphone 5C back plate???

Apple has truckload of those since Iphone 5C halted production. Maybe they can expand the back part to suit the larger screen? Or just the new A6 chip with 4 inch screen and upgrade the ram.