Breaking news iPod touch 6 confirmed

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LucasLand, Sep 11, 2014.

1. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Ipod touch 6 is out actually
    its rename to ipad mini retina at 299

:)

2. shoes222 macrumors member

Can I carry an iPad mini in my pocket everywhere I go?
    No? Then it's of no use to me.

3. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It has everything but the portability. I looked at a friend's iPhone 6 the other day. A Touch 6 even with an A7 in that size (not the iPhone 6+), would be perfect for me.

4. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Iphone 6 is selling like hotcakes now so not anytime soon apple would shift production to do the same screen size for the device that dont generate as much profits.

Would u buy a Touch 6 at 399?

5. wrcousert macrumors newbie

Nope. I'd rather have the iPad Mini at the same price. If it was $299, I might consider it. $199? Definitely yes.

6. SusanK macrumors 68000

MicroCenter has iPad Mini for $229.95

7. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Reason why they still sell original mini at 249, thats cheaper than starting price of touch 5 at release. Apple messed up their ipod line with mini.

8. iPadCary macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

There is now way on God"s green Earth that iPod Touch 6 will sell for more than $200.
    No way in h-e-double hockey sticks.

9. wrcousert macrumors newbie

The fifth generation iPod Touch started at $299.00

10. zeppo2, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015

zeppo2 macrumors regular

Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia:

"Upon initial activation, it does appear you need to have a SIM card in the phone, but from my experience it can be any old SIM at all, it doesn't have to be from the same carrier (even on locked phones) or even be an activated SIM card, but the phone does ask you to insert a SIM card to continue with initial setup, and be able to enter its PIN code, at least on iOS 7.0.2 with a 4S that I restored as new to use in our office as a Spotify streamer.

After initial setup, though, you can remove the SIM no problems."

Nope, I have the new, paid in full, SIM-free iPhone 6 and it prompts me to choose a language and location, and then allows me to set up a wifi connection, but that's as far as it will let me go. The process dead ends with "Please insert a SIM card."

Since this is my first smart phone, i don't have a small SIM card that I can insert just to get past this.

So until I get a SIM, no use of the phone as an iPod Touch.

11. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

12. volodymyrqa macrumors regular

Since this thread is not real... i mean iPod touch 6g still not confirmed...

can we close it?

13. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I hope not :D.

14. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Or maybe append "by bogus news article" to the thread title.

15. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

If you think that Apple still cares about standalone handheld devices that play music and are not branded "iPhone" you're being foolish.

No one in this thread wouldn't be stoked about an iPod touch refresh. I can tell you that I'd buy two without a moment's hesitation.

However, it's simply not going to happen at this point.

1. Too few users own both an iPhone and an iPod touch and Apple's priority is to get people that are in the market for one of the two to buy the former and not the latter.

2. The iPod is a declining business that doesn't make Apple enough money to make it worth doing anything crazy or new or anything like that to the iPod touch, whether it is the flagship iPod or not.

3. It's more likely that the iPod nano will get a storage bump and maybe an iOS 7-esque GUI facelift than it is that the iPod touch will be refreshed, especially given how close the fifth generation iPod touch is to being unsupported for future iOS releases and without a successor that isn't an iPhone.

16. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

I disagree. It's more likely that Apple refreshes the touch by replacing the A5 with the A6 in the 5th gen touch.

17. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

You keep saying this, but you've yet to cite any facts reasons for doing so that haven't, in one way or another, been disproven by Apple.

They don't care about the iPod touch. They don't care about iPods period. It's much easier to slap storage into a nano than it is to develop an iPod that only serves to further cannibalize sales from the iPhone.

Odds are they're not making any further changes. But if they do, the nano is far more likely a candidate than the touch.

18. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

You really think an iPod touch in which the A5 chip is replaced with an A6 chip would "further cannibalize iPhone sales?" Apple sells 30x more iPhones than iPod touches. The iPod touch is not cannibalizing the iPhone to begin with, so why say "further?" And if Apple silently updates the iPod touch by replacing the A5 chip with the A6 chip, perhaps Apple would sell 20x more iPhones than iPod touches, but how would you consider that "cannibalization?"

If Apple ever would update the iPod line, they would want to update the iPod touch in this way before focusing on the iPod nano.

19. GordonGekko999 macrumors 6502

I agree and there are a number of gaming and Beats Audio Streaming reasons why Apple would not want to abandon the Ipod Touch.

20. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

How many people do you know with BOTH a current model iPhone and a current model iPod touch (i.e. they didn't get an old version of the latter and then later get their first iteration of the former)? I'll bet not many, because it doesn't happen. You either own one or you own the other. I'd be likely to own both, but I'm an exception, and that's moot because I don't own both.

So, if you're only going to own one, which would Apple rather you own? That's what I mean by sales cannibalization. People who buy iPod touches are likely not people who buy iPhones because an iPhone more or less replaces the need for an iPod touch for basically doing the exact same things, but better and with the ability to make and receive calls, texts, and to use data when there isn't WiFi available.

See above. If people are buying iPod touches, they are not buying iPhones. If Apple released an A6, A7, or A8 powered iPod touch, I'd buy it immediately and I know I wouldn't be alone. This could also serve to further stave me off from buying an iPhone. Similarly, people who were thinking of switching to the iPhone from the combination of either Android+iPod touch or dumbphone+iPod touch or Windows 8 Phone+iPod touch now have the alternative to doing so.

I'm not saying that it is a terribly effective cannibalization, and maybe "cannibalization" is a poor choice of words here. Point being is that every iPod touch sale is an iPhone sale that didn't happen because, again, ownership of both (where both models are current) is extremely rare.

Again, probably poor choice of words. But yes, I would still consider that a scenario where people that would've otherwise purchased iPhones were given a reason to not do so that otherwise wouldn't exist if they didn't update and/or if they did discontinue it.

While I agree with you here, the critical difference is that you assume that they're not going to discontinue the iPod touch without updating it and all signs don't point to that happening.

21. newellj, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

newellj macrumors 604

I own two iPhone 6 phones and a Gen 5 Touch, but yes, I am probably part of a very small minority of users.

22. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

iPod touch sales will thus revert to used iPhone sales or revert to hand me down iPhones from a parent, friend or relative. I know I won't be buying any more touches so I could care less what Apple does at this point but my point is if people start buying used or getting hand me downs en masse that means that Apple doesn't make any money off these products at all so every used iPhone that is bought instead of a touch is a lost sale for Apple. If Apple releases a new touch people might buy them instead of used iPhones.

23. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Sounds about right. Of course, there could be other side effects as well.

In the same scenario, if a new touch is released, and people buy a new touch instead of used iPhones, there is less demand for used iPhones. Thus used iPhones drop in price, meaning the people who sell the used iPhones get less money. People who sell used iPhones most likely are selling them to upgrade to a new iPhones, but they have less money from their old iPhone sale. Therefore they don't spend as much money purchasing a new iPhone from Apple.

24. ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

In theory, this is sound. In practice, the Iph market is so much bigger that it feels like a bunch of IpT's aren't really going to make a meaningful dent into their bottom lines. Plus, some folks need to buy used Iph's because they want an older iOS handheld that makes phone calls and cell internet. They'll ignore IpT's anyways.

25. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I don't think the amount of people buying used iPhones for use as iPod touch then have those sales revert to the touch is enough to cause a price change.

There might be less used iPhones on the market as people hold onto them longer, give them to their kids or give them to friends or family members if the touch is no longer available.