Breaking news iPod touch 6 confirmed

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LucasLand, Sep 11, 2014.

1. sam500 macrumors newbie

Gutted. I love the size of my Touch, the iPad mini is too large / expensive and I'm not desperate to go over to android.

2. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

correct answer

----------

Motorola hardware is generally of the highest quality. They have had some junk (V551 for example), but in general their quality is a teensy bit better than Apple at the same spec level - for less $.

3. RickCanadian macrumors newbie

iPad Nano... the missing opportunity

I had been waiting for the iPod Touch 6, believing that Apple had some common sense remaining... how wrong I was.

My kids (6 & 9) have iPod Touches 4G. They love them, but they're barely functional now, running iOS 6. A 5G is out of question: with an A5 and 512 Mb RAM it has 1 more year to live at the most... An iPad, even the Mini, is too big: when you go out with the kids you want something that fits in their small hands. An iPhone is out of question: too expensive for kids, and they don't need a phone (or a contract!).

The iPod Touch was the ideal vehicle for Apple to sell its ecosystem to a new generation. You can see tons of iPods in schools and colleges. Now, Apple has just decided to throw all those future customers to the curb.

There's nothing like the iPod Touch. It's the true iPad Nano, and a very necessary gadget for anyone with kids to entertain in a long trip. Apple was selling millions of them, even if it was just a fraction of the iPhones and iPads they were selling. Rebrand it as iPad Nano, give it a modern SoC (A7 or A8) and maybe a bigger screen (4.7 or 5.5") and you have a winner for the holiday season. But no... This is a very, very stupid business decision.

4. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

As I mentioned in another thread, I DON'T see tons of iPods in schools and colleges. I DO see plenty of iPhones... to the exclusion of iPod Touches.

Between lower priced contracts, family plans, prepaid plans, and parents wising up to pay for a single device rather than for 2, iPhones are ubiquitous.

Why would a parent pay $300 for an iPod Touch and a free dumbphone for their kid when they can pay $200 for an iPhone on contract with shared data on a family plan?

It's not a stupid business decision. You might not personally like the direction, but from a business decision it is the right move. Apple makes more money from selling an iPhone than it does selling an iPod Touch. It's not like people are going to ditch Apple because of the lack of an updated iPod Touch.

5. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I can't see how it would cost them all that much to stick the A7 or A8 with an extra 512MB RAM chip in there. Just take the iPhone 5 motherboard films, paint over the cellular radio part with a sharpie, and screen print it. Etch, solder bath, rinse, repeat.

6. RickCanadian macrumors newbie

Would you give an iPhone to a 7 or 8 year-old kid? Just to clarify the point, those cheap family plans you have in the States are not available everywhere. Plans are more costly in Canada, for example.

On the other hand, you're right: I'm here ranting about the iPod Touch and there's probably nobody out there with the same needs. And Apple's market is first and foremost the United States, the rest of us count for nothing. That means no business case, I'm out of luck.

7. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

That is unfortunately the reality of the situation. I am in agreement that there is (or SHOULD BE) a market for the iPod Touch (and the iPod Classic).

8. Black Magic macrumors 68020

Black Magic

Apple clearly must not be making money on the iPod Touch if they are not updating them anymore. I think the best option would be to buy the kids iPad Minis. Yes they are big but they are great on road trips and the screen real estate is easier on the eyes. Yes, watching movies on them is very doable where as on the iPod Touch it is not.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

9. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

iPod touches were in college all the time around 2009-2011. I have had two of them, a 8gb 2nd gen ("MC") Model - always wrongly called the 8gb 3rd gen. - and later a 32gb 4th gen which I recently sold for very low price to a family member.
    I now own my iPad 4 - which still runs great despite there being the Air and now the Air 2 - as well as a cheap android phone which runs so-so (that Moto g was not out when I bought it). Once I have a full job (student IT now), I will likely get the latest iPhone.

10. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I work in a school as support staff and I've yet to see a child with an iPod Touch...

Plenty of Android phones, a few iPhones, but virtually no media players of any description.

11. 617aircav Suspended

If your kids need an iPod get them the 5. They will love it.

12. iDivergent macrumors newbie

Android phones of course

13. DarkGoddess macrumors newbie

An Android phone can handle converted audiobook files? I had no idea. I don't have a problem using a phone as a mp3 player. I'll have to look into finding one. Thanks.

14. monolithic macrumors member

If they launch the Touch with dimensions of iPhone 6, then is it a 'Mini' iPad Mini?

15. DFZD macrumors 6502

Yeah Apple has a term for that Nano, but if they have the same specs as iPad Mini, they are going to price it at $399 and not the usual $299.

16. porkozone macrumors newbie

I'm in the same exact boat...with the exception of having 10 year old twins currently with a 4G. The 6G was all planned to be the transition device to get them through until they needed a phone - we are not ready to pay $80+ per month to add both of them to our family plan. The iPod would easily allow them to text the growing number of friends that will be getting phones (too soon IMO) while they are at home on WIFI.

Ugh. This really leaves us in a bind for what to do this Christmas.

17. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

There is no comparison at all in terms of performance between a Touch 4 and a Touch 5. Get them the Touch 5 for Christmas.

Currently, a Touch 5 in the Apple refurb section cost
    16GB $149
    32GB $199
    64GB $239

If I didn't already have a Touch 5 which I love, highly recommend, and is my most used Apple device, I would buy the refurb 64GB Touch 5.

Note - Even if the Touch 6 came out, I most likely would not have bought one for at least another year. I have not upgraded to IOS 8 yet (waiting on 8.1 before I decide) but IOS 7 runs well on my Touch 5.

18. newellj macrumors 604

As a point of minor and probably temporary interest, I bought a Touch Gen 5 new a week before the iPad/etc. event. It was part of a new shipment just received by the local Apple store, which had been out of stock for a while (so, very recent production). It came out of the box with iOS 7.1.2, not iOS 8 or 8.0.2.

19. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

What do you think of it ?

20. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I am so disappointed in apple. If it doesn't come out by spring I will have to leave Apple totally and buy some off contract android phone (that has a replaceable battery) with my amazon credit that I have been saving. I was also going to get Mac mini to replace my desktop, now I will not be doing that, I think I will just upgrade my desktop a bit. I will never buy an iPhone and pay a huge cost for unnecessary phone bills that I cannot afford. If apple doesn't release a touch 6 by spring they will be losing a lot of money from me since they are basically forcing me to look into alternative products for my needs.

21. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

The truth is, Apple is probably not too concerned over losing you as a customer since you were only planning to buy a Touch 6 and a Mac Mini. Both the low Touch / Mini sales along with their low margins were bringing in a small amount (relative) of money for Apple. Now, many people will buy an iMac or iPhone making Apple much happier.

Why wait till spring to switch to a non-Apple product ? If you need / like a product, buy it now (or at least on black Friday). Apple is only a company and you as a consumer should buy what is best for you.

22. cycledance Suspended

can someone plz change the thread title or close this thread? it's so annoying to see.

23. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

bought beats for a reason

they bought beats for a reason. its a headphone and music streaming company which goes ideally with iPods. many people think the iPod line is dead. i think the opposite. their beats purchase is all about bringing the iPod line some new life. i see some exciting changes coming soon

24. arefbe macrumors 6502

arefbe

I second that!

25. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think the title is humorous and should be kept :D. There always are people who post that a product upgrade is coming out soon and not to buy the current product. Then, when it's proven false, the posters are very quiet and never acknowledge that they were wrong.