Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rooster1725

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2004
Another reason for mail in rebates is "creative accounting". Apple can still use data from sales figures at full price, then account for discounts seperately.

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
I'm desperate for a new Dual G5, I sold my Dual G4 last year thinking that upgrades would be out in March ( 6 months cycle ) and I've been using the family G3 iBook ever since but 3 weeks ago I decided I couldn't cope with the torture of the iBook and bought a brand new HP D530 P4. It cost $700 in a special offer and was a very impressive spec, 2.8 P4, SATA, 800Mhz FSB etc.. Windows XP Pro and a 3 year on site warranty ( I'm sorry but beat that Apple ). The machine was very fast and did everything and more than my old dual G4 but I hated Windows XP so I just sold it and I'm back on the iBook.

I know that people will say, if you need it now buy it now and I would be the first to agree with that but for one thing. If Apple has no upgrades because they are having supply problems that's fine ( it'd be even better if they actually informed us ), the real problem for me is the fact that a series of machines that are 7 months old have seen no price reductions in all that time. Apple want it both ways, they have problems with supply etc.. so can't produce updates in an acceptable timescale but they continue to charge the same price for what are now dated specs.

Come on Apple something has to give, either give us updates or give us price reductions, $500 off a monitor that was over priced anyway isn't playing the game.

smeddy

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2004
you mention the extension of the discounted memory campaign for imacs, powermacs and servers.

noticeable by their absence are the ibooks and powerbooks.

i dont know if they were initially included in the states, but they were included in the initial campaign in Japan and the PB and iB memory discounts have *not* been renewed.

this had better mean an upgrade is in the works b/c i was planning on buying one soon--upgrade or no--and was looking forward to doubling my memory for peanuts... argh!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
invaLPsion said:
I've been looking at Falcon Northwest.

The only thing I'm worried about is not being able to use iMovie anymore...

I guess I'll have to get used to adobe Premiere...
interesting not to go off thread but why Falcon, also i have concerns that if i go alienware ill need a good photo App on the Pc side for all my photographs. and 365 is right the 23" was overpriced. why not give $300,$400 and $500 off all the overpriced displays with a new powermac.

sonicbaz

macrumors member
May 13, 2003
Brisbane
It's time Apple shared with the community information on the development situation. IMO nothing hurts Apple more than keeping everything so secret that it makes it near impossible to purchase a new machine without the feeling that anyday there will be a new release to make you feel like a big loser. I read post after post of people hanging out for new boxes, surely if they just give everyone a heads up then we can all make decisions for the future based on FACTS.

Apple would increase their market share by simply getting a solid roadmap out to the public so rather than constant inaccurate vodoo speculation we get cold hard info even if sometimes it's not exactly what we want to hear.

All these rumors have stopped being cute and now it's just a joke. Isn't about time Apple grew up and had a more open and transparent development plan. It baffels me as to why it is all so hush hush anyway.

"SJ...... help us to help you" ;)

baz

Thor74

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2004
Texas
I' have owned Apple/mac products since an Apple IIGS (Wozniak Edition) back in the late 80's.

This is honestly the most dissapointed I have been in Apple in all that time. I am nursing along a dual 867 G4 that is really shopwing it's age. I have been waiting for a B revision of the G5 line for 7+ months.

Lots of super Apple/mac fanatics here, which is great. But come on folks...

Apple is so screwing up right now it is not even funny. We all praised the fall of the Motorola union with Apple powermacs and could not stop talking about how IBM would bring in a new dawn for Apple.

One word.... Bull$_ _ _

Apple will loose more folks than it gains if it really waits a full year for a revision in the G5 line.

And regardless of what some Steve Jobs mega fans think or not. If in fact we do have to wait until June/July for updates, and they do not include the full jump up to 3 gigahertz like Steve Jobs promised....

Well he should step down. Since it will be one of the easiest and actually most honest times Apple nay-sayers in the press/tech world will have to attack the company = loose stock value and embarrase us faithful apple owners... :mad:

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
fenlyn said:
Hmm... on the coupon it says, "This offer may be combined with Apple's Impress for Less rebate."

What the heck is that promotion?

Brad

Yeah, what is this? I looked around the Apple site, as you must have, and I couldn't find anything. Wild speculation: discounts on current (old) G5s when the new ones are introduced?

Ah to be an optimist.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
snahabed said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I have nothing productive to offer this thread. Just growls.

I know...I agree. :(

In the PC world, they get speed bumps every 3 months...Now I can deal with only every 6 months, cuz the Mac market is smaller, but every 12 months? This is ridiculous.

:( :( :(

-Nathaniel

dkgross

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2004
seattle
jsw said:
You must've known about them very early! I didn't hear about them until 6/2003 and couldn't buy one until 8/2003.

good god...has my brain been that fried that I lost a year? Can't be...seems like I've had my MDD dual 1.25 G4 for at least a year now. I've lost all track of linear time :)

nonetheless..it's still too soon to replace it with a G5..no matter HOW much better Logic Pro will run on it :(

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
sonicbaz said:
It's time Apple shared with the community information on the development situation. IMO nothing hurts Apple more than keeping everything so secret that it makes it near impossible to purchase a new machine without the feeling that anyday there will be a new release to make you feel like a big loser. I read post after post of people hanging out for new boxes, surely if they just give everyone a heads up then we can all make decisions for the future based on FACTS.

Apple would increase their market share by simply getting a solid roadmap out to the public so rather than constant inaccurate vodoo speculation we get cold hard info even if sometimes it's not exactly what we want to hear.

All these rumors have stopped being cute and now it's just a joke. Isn't about time Apple grew up and had a more open and transparent development plan. It baffels me as to why it is all so hush hush anyway.

"SJ...... help us to help you" ;)

baz

I did my part, I just sent off a letter to Apple.

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
CmdrLaForge said:
This really looks like no updates until WWDC ! Not good news at all. How can they not update the G5s for a complete year !

:mad:

Hello, maybe you havent been paying attention, but November was the last time they updated . . . .

Why is it that people who whine about PM updates always neglect to realize that their line is the most recent to have been updated?

I am sorry guys, but get a grip. When the 15 inch PB was introduced (the same middle ground sort of introduction as the Nov 1.8 release) we still had a ten month wait, and that was just for crappy speed bumps.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Dont Hurt Me said:
interesting not to go off thread but why Falcon, also i have concerns that if i go alienware ill need a good photo App on the Pc side for all my photographs. and 365 is right the 23" was overpriced. why not give $300,$400 and $500 off all the overpriced displays with a new powermac.

Falcon has much more choices in terms of configurations and great customer service. Before they ship your computer they have one of their people perform a 30 minute test on every little part of the computer. They load all your software and everything. In adition, the cases that they offer include all sorts of hook-ups. Firewire, Digital in/out, USB 2.0, 5.1 sound card, you name it. I also believe that their prices are better than Alienware and Voodoo.

If you don't want to buy from one of the big PC companies as I don't, get a Falcon. My friend got one and there has been no problems whatsoever. It runs great!!!

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
While I can understand that those, who have been waiting for faster powermacs for months, are disappointed with Apple, I'd like to point out that Apple had to do something. With the new/extend promo they clearly say there won't be any updates until WWDC. They had to do this in order to start selling PMs again. Without the promo, speculation on updates would have continued and Apple wouldn't have been able to sell what they have in stocks. Those, who pointed out that an intermediate 2.5 GHz release wouldn't make sense when the next big release will be announced at WWDC. are absolutely right. So my recommendation: If you do need a new PM, buy it now and get the $500 rebate, if you can wait until WWDC, wait as you now know when to expect the new revision. As for the rest of the products, I still believe we'll see a PB G4 upgrade in April (or if we're luck as early as March 30) and new iBook 3-4 weeks after the powerbooks. If WWDC won't bring new G5 iMacs, they might even update those as well. So it's gonna be an interesting time nevertheless.

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
Little Endian said:
I also strongly beleive that we will not see a G5 imac or Powerbook until late this year at best to even the first quarter of 2005.

TO EVEN THE FIRST QUARTER?!?!?!? What are you talking about, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Do you just make up your reasons for believing what you do?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
One GOOD thing this could mean.

I wonder if this means there will be PowerBook G5s on tuesday?

(Somebody had to say it... everyone seems to think Apple's PBG5-by-end-of-2004 means "soon," and every rumor turns into that somehow :) )

I think this means problems getting faster G5s, and delays in new towers and displays both. I'm a pessimist.

But this COULD, just possibly, mean a new (and cheaper) display line is coming out--but that the 23" won't be updated with the rest. It will be updated later or replaced with a different size. Rather than delay the whole new display lineup for the sake of the top model, Apple may have decided to let the top model be the old style--with a rebate to compensate. Thus, this promo might mean that new displays of OTHER sizes could be out very soon! And towers need not be delayed either. And then at WWDC, Apple will finally be able to give us the new top-end LCD.

But as I said, that's optmistic and I'm a pessimist :)

I even voted negative! Now... if they'd given $500 off the display alone, with a free adapter so I could add one to my PowerBook, that might have been different :)

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Dont Hurt Me said:

DHM, said it before, I'll say it again, please find a pro peecee forum if you seemingly hate Mac so much. Not sure why you're even here... like, ever! Your icon looks like a troll, is that coincidence?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Zaty said:
While I can understand that those, who have been waiting for faster powermacs for months, are disappointed with Apple, I'd like to point out that Apple had to do something. With the new/extend promo they clearly say there won't be any updates until WWDC. They had to do this in order to start selling PMs again. Without the promo, speculation on updates would have continued and Apple wouldn't have been able to sell what they have in stocks. Those, who pointed out that an intermediate 2.5 GHz release wouldn't make sense when the next big release will be announced at WWDC. are absolutely right. So my recommendation: If you do need a new PM, buy it now and get the $500 rebate, if you can wait until WWDC, wait as you now know when to expect the new revision. As for the rest of the products, I still believe we'll see a PB G4 upgrade in April (or if we're luck as early as March 30) and new iBook 3-4 weeks after the powerbooks. If WWDC won't bring new G5 iMacs, they might even update those as well. So it's gonna be an interesting time nevertheless.

I agree with you. I am really thinking there will be a PB announcement this Tuesday, and they will start shipping sometime in the first half of April. It will be a G4 upgrade tho, no G5. I have a feeling that at WWDC new PM's will be announced and start shipping almost immediately, and a G5 iMac will be unofficially announced, or strongly hinted at, and hit the streets a month or two later. Around Dec'04/Jan'05 we will see G5 PB's as well. iBooks will see an upgrade about midway between the next PB G4 upgrade and the G5 PB launch. After the G5 PB launch I think the iBook will get the 'old' PB internals for its finaly G4 upgrade, about 12 months from now.

I have this wierd feeling that they will kill the eMac sometime late this year. I think that the G5 iMac will be a new design, and that the old style G4's will become the new entry level systems. The current bottom level iMac is $1,300 now, and in 6 months, even with some small improvements (better video card, more ram, bigger HD) it will be easy to sell for sub-$1000 with a 15" and only a little more for 17". The eMac just LOOKS so outdated. Maybe they will call G4 iMacs eMacs, and call the G5's iMacs?

isgoed

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
fenlyn said:
Hmm... on the coupon it says, "This offer may be combined with Apple's Impress for Less rebate."

What the heck is that promotion?

Brad

To be pessimestic: it could be the "More memory for less" action. But i like it more that a soon to be released line of G5's coexist with the old line.

The memory deal is a fake anyway. I can get much cheaper modules from 3rd party sellers even with the memory discount.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Zaty said:
While I can understand that those, who have been waiting for faster powermacs for months, are disappointed with Apple, I'd like to point out that Apple had to do something. With the new/extend promo they clearly say there won't be any updates until WWDC. They had to do this in order to start selling PMs again....

Good points, and this casts the latest G5 promo on the site in a different light - it's not that they're reving up demand for any G5s, they're trying to drum up demand for what they have right now.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
PB G5 at MWSF 05

a17inchFuture said:
TO EVEN THE FIRST QUARTER?!?!?!? What are you talking about, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Do you just make up your reasons for believing what you do?

Sorry, but we won't see PB G5 until MWSF 05. An earlier release would only make sense if they could ship them in quantities in time for the 2004 holiday season which seems rather unlikely to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.