Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morgothaod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
What console has better online play, first person shooters, and fighting games?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think they're fairly comparable but I recently stood around Best Buy playing Madden 10 on a PS3 and the graphics were stunning. Unfortunately or fortunately I think it comes down to preference.

I'd buy a PS3 personally.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
I would go with PS3

I have an xbox, but only because I got it cheap. I would recommend getting a PS3, but here are the facts.

The best selling console is the Xbox 360, therefore most of your friends, and just more people in general will be online.

Microsoft will nickel and dime you. For example: you have to change your name, download themes or icons, map packs, cables, etc.

Once you buy a PS3, except for games, your pretty much done with paying. You get free online play (unlike xbox which is anywhere from $50-$100 per year.)

It is predicted that 25% of xboxes purchased this year will get the red ring of death, not so with the PS3.

The Xbox is about $100 cheaper.

I personally like the Xbox controllers better. But the Duelshock 3 do have motion sensors.

The PS3 has better graphics. Even if you do the HDMI thing on the Xbox, it can't play Blu-Ray like the PS3.

You get the dashboard on the Xbox 360, which includes MSN, Netflix, the ability to download games, etc. There have also been rumors about facebook and twitter integration.

The PS3 has a web browser.

They both have great games, but one could argue that the Xbox has better games because of games like Halo.

So financially (if you plan on playing for more than a year) the PS3.
I will let you figure out the best.

Buy the way, that can be a really dangerous question, Xbox fanboys can be vicious.

For anyone who cares, I only play COD4 and I'm uPaymeiFixit (@live.com).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Realistically for the best Online & FPS's then the 360 is the way to go.

However for fighting games (ala StreetFighter IV) the PS3 D-Pad is better than the 360

Microsoft will nickel and dime you. For example: you have to change your name, download themes or icons, map packs, cables, etc.

So do Sony. Premium themes, and don't get me started on all the mini-transactions for things like HOME and LBP

Once you buy a PS3, except for games, your pretty much done with paying.

Not all all. See above.... Oh and with Firmware 3, expect more themes to be dynamic and therefore charged for...

It is predicted that 25% of xboxes purchased this year will get the red ring of death, not so with the PS3.

No it's currently 15% with the PS3's YLOD. It occurs mostly with the launch hardware. DigitalFoundry recently had a great article showing that fundementally they break in a similar fashion (over heating).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-system-failure-article

The PS3 has better graphics. Even if you do the HDMI thing on the Xbox, it can't play Blue-ray like the PS3.

Subjective, and if you went on the majority of multi-platform titles, then the 360 has better graphics.

Oh and it's Blu-Ray

You get the dashboard on the Xbox 360, which includes MSN, Netflix, the ability to download games, etc. There have also been rumors about facebook and twitter integration.

The PS3 has a web browser.

PS3 also has video's and ability to download games etc.... There is also talk about Facebook & twitter (social networking) in the future.

They both have great games, but one could argue that the Xbox has better games because of games like Halo.

And what about Uncharted, LBP, Metal Gear Solid ? Also the 360 has a hell of a lot of better games than the HALO franchise.

So financially (if you plan on playing for more than a year) the PS3.
I will let you figure out the best.

How ? So you save the Live fee, but you'll spend it elsewhere undoubtably so it's ridiculous to just make that assumption.

Buy the way, that can be a really dangerous question, Xbox fanboys can be vicious.

Your reply was way off the mark and actually never answered the OP's actual question. It could be argued it was more fanboy based than anything else.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna

Please, try to be serious when you recommend games.

To the OP: I suggest you do the following
1. Go to the store and try a PS3 and XBOX 360 for a couple minutes to see which controller you prefer.
2. If you are undecided, go to some review site and look at the games both have as exclusives and see which one you would be interested in more.

I went with the PS3 (despite it's high price) because the XBOX controller just didn't work for me and I didn't like the idea of paying to go online. Also, most of my friends have a PS3 so it makes online gaming/game sharing much easier.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
PS3 - its just been updated so you won't be buying something that will be changed in the next couple of years

MacMonster1985

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Typical ignorance at display.

OK let me rephrase that,

PS3 because you will be buying a superior product instead of supporting M$'s inferior product (50%+ failure rate) which they are able to blow money on just because they have monopoly on other products. Xbox360 - famous for "extended warranty".

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I bought PS3 because:

- Free online
- Built-in WLAN
- Blu-Ray
- Games that are PS3 only
- Lower failure rates
- Easily accessible HD
- Quieter than X360
- Better design
- Better controller

londonmystery

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
London, UK
I bought PS3 because:

- Free online
- Built-in WLAN
- Blu-Ray
- Games that are PS3 only
- Lower failure rates
- Easily accessible HD
- Quieter than X360
- Better design
- Better controller

And if you bus one now price is lower and larger HD.

PS3 all the way. We have 2 in the house, 1 from release date and 1 a year old. Neither have had problems and they are used daily. :):)

londonmystery

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
London, UK

as far as fps you have, Resistance 1 and 2 (PS3 only), cod 4 and 5, Battlefield 1943.Killzone

Fighting games, Tekken 5 (6 due out later this year), Street fighter, fight night round 4.

Ps3 has better graphics, games, free online play. great support and a new version of the console at a cheaper price. :):)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
OK let me rephrase that,

PS3 because you will be buying a superior product instead of supporting M$'s inferior product (50%+ failure rate) which they are able to blow money on just because they have monopoly on other products. Xbox360 - famous for "extended warranty".

Well that 50%+ failure rates is based off on study, and I've yet to see how many units we're examined(and it was self reporting, right? Thats not the most accurate way to find out)..so I wouldn't trust that. Not to mention, the 360 now is highly reliable.

But I have to take issue with that fact you don't support MS because they can "waste" money(by which I assume you mean lose) which yes is highly unfair, but Sony does the exact same thing. In fact the Slim is losing money for them, I'm pretty sure MS pulls a profit now. If you really want to support the company who is play "fair", go buy a Wii.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Where? Don't say Gears of War and Halo...

But online experience of GRAW+GRAW2, VEGAS & VEGAS2, COD2,3,4 are all better on the 360.

A FPS with a lot of online communication and team work, works better on the 360 not only because of a unified online system, but because at least everyone talks and therefore can strategically plan. The immersion difference is incredible. Text communication on PS3 simply does not compare in these situations.

Then there's the old nutshell that games like Juarez 2, condemned 2 & Fear 2 often run at 'slightly' higher resolution and more importantly better frame rates than the ps3 version of the same game. Regardless of it being the dev's faults - it still doesn't change something from being the way it is.

FPS's are better on the 360.... generally... but maybe not by 'miles' ;)

Ps3 has better graphics

It what sense, and where ? Yes the PS3 has some really great looking games, but making blanket statements, without support evidence is just hollow talk. The only way we can compare games directly is with multi-platform titles which favor the 360 in most testings, but are getting closer and closer. So how is it better ???

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If I had to pick one, it would be XB360 mostly because of the Halo and GOW series and I'd include L4D and Mass Effect except they are available on both.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Where? Don't say Gears of War and Halo...

I wouldn't say Gears or War because it's a 3rd person shooter and Halo 2-3 (aka My First FPS) are terrible games. But if I had to pick between Halo and Haze I know what I'd go for ;).
The Orange Box, Left4Dead, Fallout 3 (and its DLC) are what I go for. I know the PS3 has Killzone 2, and the 2 Resistance games but I never liked them much. R1 was bland and R2 wasn't much better. Killzone 2 wowwed me when I first played it but the plot didn't carry me to completion.

But it generally is known the Xbox 360 is what you buy if you're into FPS games. From what I recall that was the source of much amusement to PS3 fans, there being a disproportionate number of shooters compared to other genres.

Overall I play FPS games on a PC though. And for fighters I stick to PSP (SF Alpha 3) and Wii (Smash Bros Brawl), never was a fan of Tekken but everyone else seems to be!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
PS3, because you won't be financially supporting Micro$oft.

Yes. God forbid we bother supporting a coporation that is oh so evil. I mean Apple isn't at all evil with their over protective and constantly shutting down 3rd party developers. :rolleyes:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes. God forbid we bother supporting a coporation that is oh so evil. I mean Apple isn't at all evil with their over protective and constantly shutting down 3rd party developers. :rolleyes:

You mean like the makers of Babyshaker on the iPhone? ;) But Apple does have some overprotective qualities resulting in much fewer compatibility problems due to tight hardware standards on it's hardware as compared to the dark side.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Online- Xbox by miles,
FPS- Xbox by miles,
Fighting, platformers, action/adventure TPS- PS3 by miles.

I fixed it up for you because frankly the 360 controller only feels comfortable with FPS.

Haven't we had enough of these topics and we all get entangled in the same thing time after time...op, both consoles offer a good gaming experience.

If you feel that LIVE can offer you a better online gamin experience then go for it but if you like the PS3 franchises and PSN games then you know what to do.

Bless

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I fixed it up for you because frankly the 360 controller only feels comfortable with FPS.

I wouldn't say so but that's just my opinion. After all the previous (including PS1) controllers I've used my thumb just feels right using the analogue stick on the Xbox controller. It mirrors the most used buttons and just kinda feels natural for me. For specific games I prefer the PS2/3 dpad, like Tony Hawks or any 2D-plane fighting game... Or 2D games in general, which I do play a lot of.
Just can't use a PS3 controller for an extended time :eek: especially in racing games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.