Carrier Buying Phone with old ATT Unlimited plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nojokews6, Sep 7, 2016.

1. nojokews6 macrumors regular

I have been out of the loop. can I still buy a discounted phone with another 2 year contract? I don't see anything on the site.

2. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

No. Has to be on Next or Apples upgrade program or outright.

3. drew05 macrumors member

Nope. No longer an option.

4. nojokews6 thread starter macrumors regular

aren't I paying more for my plan since I was getting a subsidized price?

5. bufffilm, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

6. drew05 macrumors member

Yup. When you either buy the phone outright or on a payment plan you'll get the appropriate discount.

7. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

AT&T doesn't even do 2 year contracts anymore as far as I knew..

8. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

The grandfathered unlimited plan is still the best deal on ATT, even though we are still paying the subsidized price.

9. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

10. nojokews6 thread starter macrumors regular

Where can I see what this phone will cost me? so in essence im paying full price for the phone?

11. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

The new unlimited plan is better if you need more people. My family switched from the old unlimited plan to the new one because it was cheaper, as well as being able to add my youngest sister to their plan. I even got a spare line on their plan since it's only $40, and my brother-in-law switched to their plan as well and pays less for him and my sister than he paid for just his own plan.

Even if my parents didn't already have DirecTV, it would have been cheaper for them to get the cheapest DirecTV plan and get the new unlimited plan.

12. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

Oh I agree. If my wife was on ATT I would go with it as I have U-Verse. But for one line my old plan is still cheaper.

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Why don't you get your wife on your plan?

14. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

She's in this family plan with the rest of her family out of state. I'll convince her in a couple years when it's time for her to upgrade. We just got her an SE though recently so will be a couple years.

15. nojokews6 thread starter macrumors regular

me and my wife both have separate Unlimited plans. I get a new phone and pass her down my old one every year, that's how its been since I got the original Iphone way back when. With no subsidized pricing I question keeping these two lines like this.

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

So what if I'm keeping my iPhone 6 Plus. Do I get a discount as well?

17. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Unless you switch to the new unlimited plan on AT&T, I'd say keep it. Having unlimited data on America's second best network is worth whatever you're paying, unless you really don't use much data anyway.

18. MickAv8r macrumors newbie

Keep your plan and do the apple upgrade program. Stop thinking in terms of subsidized - that idea hasn't existed in years.

19. Corsig macrumors member

So the Apple upgrade program is the $30-$40/month separate from what AT&T charges? I'll get one charge from Apple and then my regular AT&T bill? This $40 lets me upgrade next year and includes the Applecare.

I'm still grandfathered with the unlimited and don't want to lose that.

So confused

20. nojokews6 thread starter macrumors regular

So in actuality I'm now paying $20 more a month for my phone. Sounds like Bs to me. I'm starting to think Tmoblie might be a better option.

21. Titleist macrumors regular

Titleist

I'm in the same boat as you. Signed a two year contract last year with ATT, and kept my grandfathered unlimited plan. My understanding is, that our unlimited plan will remain the same, and will now have a bill of $40ish dollars a month from Apple. Two separate bills, one from ATT and one from Apple. Correct me if I'm wrong.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

You are paying what the old plans cost. They just don't have new discounts that apply to owned or financed phones for those old plans and just for the recent/current plans (as those discounts came to be when the older plans were no longer being offered).

23. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Won't be that different with TMobile...you'll still have to buy the phone.

24. Corsig macrumors member

That's what I think also- But now that my 2 year contract is up does that mean my AT&T bill will go down since the two years are up. If so, that would offset some of the monthly Apple costs

25. nojokews6 thread starter macrumors regular

looks like my monthly bill would be reduced by 40 a month for two phones on unlimited. That will eat up most of the cost of the phones