Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Cablevision One-Ups Time Warner Cable With New TV iPad App

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Time Warner Cable has been working to add channels to its live TV app for the iPad in the face of opposition from several content providers including Viacom, Discovery, and Fox, Cablevision has gone all in with the release of its new Optimum for iPad application offering the cable company's subscribers full access to their television packages.In addition to approximately 300 live channels and access to VOD [video on demand], the Optimum App for iPad integrates enhanced guide information that makes it easier than ever before for customers to find the content they already receive as part of their cable television subscription. Programming is fully searchable, including by genre, and the application includes the ability to schedule DVR recordings and manage previously-recorded content.

In its press release, Cablevision also takes content providers head-on with its argument that the functionality is permissible under current licensing agreements. Cablevision's key argument hinges on the fact that the content is not delivered over the Internet, and instead comes directly through the its digital cable network before being transmitted to the iPad via Optimum modem.Cablevision uses its secure and proprietary Advanced Digital Cable television network to deliver cable programming to customers for viewing on the Optimum App for iPad, and content is not delivered over the Internet. The application turns the iPad into an additional television, enabling Cablevision customers to view the same live programming and VOD content already being delivered to other TVs in the home as part of the service they have paid for. Cablevision has the right to distribute programming over its cable system to iPads configured in this way under its existing distribution agreements with programming providers.We have yet to hear any official response from content providers, so it will be interesting to see how they react to Cablevision's offerings.

Article Link: Cablevision One-Ups Time Warner Cable With New TV iPad App

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Just buy a Slingbox and watch whatever channel you want, wherever you want.

I love mine.

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wow, this works great. It's seems to be on a 10-15 second delay from live TV but picture quality is great. Nice work Cablevision.

I love mine.

When Slingbox provides me with wifi just about everywhere like Cablevision does, I'm in.

Comment

jayhawk69

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
Really good app. Great job cablevision you were able to provide hundreds of channels at excellent picture quality

Comment

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
I want to subscribe to cable now.... COX- seriously- I will subscribe if you do this!

Comment

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple

I love mine.

That is a solution, however, home data caps , slow upload speeds and quality loss from multiple transcodes puts a damper on it for many. Much cleaner solution to get it from the cable co on the iPad.

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
For all the criticism of Cablevision, since I became a subscriber 3 years ago, they've added free wifi (which has made my wifi iPad so much more useful) all over and now TV to iPad at no extra charge.

Comment

ivan2002

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010

I love mine.

I was gonna do just that, but then got turned off after reading all the negatives reviews on Amazon. Seems like the thing just doesn't last a day over the 90 day warranty, and then there is zero help after it quits working. A free (or even a paid) app seems to be a lot less of a pain and risk. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a $250 piece of hardware from what's basically a no-name brand.

Comment

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've had mine for 9 months now and have had no issue with it. With a fios connection I watch anywhere in amazing clarity.

Best 250 bucks I ever spent. Took a whole 5 minutes to set up too.

Comment

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
This is great for when I'm taking a **** and don't want to miss any of the action on TV..

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
The future of TV looks better all the time. Those content providers better stop being caught in Technosaurus Rex mode and get with it. By 2015 I bet the entire approach to viewing is changed. No more captive audiences... so they better start making stuff people will actually CHOOSE to watch, because they will have full choice.

Comment

tkatz

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've had mine for 9 months now and have had no issue with it. With a fios connection I watch anywhere in amazing clarity.

Best 250 bucks I ever spent. Took a whole 5 minutes to set up too.

Slingbox is great, I have one too. But it uses up a tv (assuming you want to watch anything other then basic cable, which doesn't even have channels in HD in my area anymore). This app acts as a completely separate "tv". You can have it tuned to watch the game while watching something else on the big screen, or have a small HD quality portable tv anywhere in your house.

You can also use the app on 2 iPads at one time, whereas a slingbox is single-user. Not that 1 vs 2 is that big a deal, but that is an extra $250 for a second tv with the slingbox.

Both the slingbox and this app are great, and have their own unique features.

Comment

kyeblue

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
Long Island, New York
love this. Now verizon needs to up their game

I would switch back to cablevision. FIOS is great, but Verizon has been very lousy and unfair in accommodating mac users. Now it sales iphone and ipad, time to take its game up.

Comment

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Wow, this works great. It's seems to be on a 10-15 second delay from live TV but picture quality is great. Nice work Cablevision.
When Slingbox provides me with wifi just about everywhere like Cablevision does, I'm in.

Your comment makes no sense, you can only use this app within your own house. With SLingBox it works anywhere over WiFi or 3G.

I was gonna do just that, but then got turned off after reading all the negatives reviews on Amazon. Seems like the thing just doesn't last a day over the 90 day warranty, and then there is zero help after it quits working. A free (or even a paid) app seems to be a lot less of a pain and risk. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a $250 piece of hardware from what's basically a no-name brand.

It works fine for me, I never have had any problems. And I wouldn't say SlingBox is a no-name brand. Ever heard of EchoStar? Sling Media is a subsidiary of EchoStar which has very close ties to Dish Network.

Comment

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
No go

Have the app and signed in but then it doesn't work. At all.

It says I have to be signed in and on the home network. (Which I am.)

So it is not working at all. I have the Monsoon Vulkano so I'll live but still
Sucky.

Reads me as signed in and then tells me I need to sign in. Not good. :eek:

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Your comment makes no sense, you can only use this app within your own house. With SLingBox it works anywhere over WiFi or 3G.

I'm not interested in watching TV anywhere. Wifi all over is way more important to me.

Comment

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006

You don't have to pay anything to slingbox. It works with cablevision or whatever you use and you still get all the benefits.

Comment

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
see this is god even from a person like me who has time warner cable. Hopefully it will make my lazy cable company make a better app.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.